Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: We can't be bothered to ban you.

Topic: The Millennials Are Killing Everything Thread (Read 1193 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
The Millennials Are Killing Everything Thread
Today's poor innocent victim:

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's
http://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-endanger-casual-dining-restaurants-2017-5

:stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Where will I go to buy a $20 plate of microwaved food if Applebee's goes away? :sadcheer:

Re: The Millennials Are Killing Everything Thread
Reply #1

http://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-endanger-casual-dining-restaurants-2017-5

:stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:  :stopper:

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Where will I go to buy a $20 plate of microwaved food if Applebee's goes away? :sadcheer:
Have you ever actually eaten at an Applebee's? I think Portland might have one at one of the malls but I'm not sure. I thought they were a Midwest truck stop phenomenon. I don't remember seeing one anywhere on the east coast but then I wasn't looking either.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2
However, you are not going to get me bitching about millennials even if they are half as good as my generation which didn't even get a name although I've always thought beat gen kids would be a good moniker. But I am counting on millennials to take pity on me in my dotage so I won't be trolled into criticizing.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #3
Have you ever actually eaten at an Applebee's? I think Portland might have one at one of the malls but I'm not sure. I thought they were a Midwest truck stop phenomenon. I don't remember seeing one anywhere on the east coast but then I wasn't looking either.

Yes. My family used to go all the time because it was cheap, and everyone except my brother and me is a super picky eater. My dad would basically decide where to go, and he is the type of person who can eat the same shitty crap every day for a year and not get sick of it, sooo... And back in the day, it was basically the only place in town that was open late, so it was the only place we could grab something to eat as high school students. There's a diner in town, but it is quite possibly the worst fucking diner in New Jersey. Anyway, it being the only viable option open late is another reason why my family went there because we're Spanish lunatics who eat dinner at 10 pm.

I can't remember the last time I ate there. Maybe 2 years ago? I've only ever gone back with my family or my mom because the only place in my town that I like is Thai, and they can't really handle anything other than American and Italian food. Last time I went, I remember noting that the menu had changed a lot, but even though I got a salad, it was still way over-priced, and the chicken still tasted like microwaved frozen Tyson chicken strips.

The food is pretty fucking nasty. It is literally all microwaved, with maybe the exception of the mozzarella sticks (which are actually not bad because it's hard to fuck up mozzarella sticks). And while it used to be cheap, it's not anymore, and you can get much better quality food for much cheaper, so why the fuck would you pay extra to sit in a cheesy fucking shitty restaurant with dumb sports garbage on the walls?

I mean, this isn't really so much millennials killing them as it is euthanasia. It's time to go, little buddy. Run towards the light. :mason:

Reply #4
Weird, the Applebees in the west and SW aren't half bad. They have gotten more expensive over the years, but the food is tolerable. I don't go there often, unless it's late, cuz the Wafflehouse here has also gone really down hill. :(

As for chains in general, I tend to try to eat at more local places and stay away from chains anyway, and it seems most people I know are the same way.

Reply #5
Weird, the Applebees in the west and SW aren't half bad. They have gotten more expensive over the years, but the food is tolerable. I don't go there often, unless it's late, cuz the Wafflehouse here has also gone really down hill. :(

As for chains in general, I tend to try to eat at more local places and stay away from chains anyway, and it seems most people I know are the same way.
we don't really have chain restaurants except near the malls and maybe pizza chains. I think there's a papa john's a couple miles from me and I know there's a round table pizza on Foster, also a couple miles from me.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
You have to drive for a good half hour to even reach a Tim Horton's from my house, and another twenty minutes to hit anything like a chain restaurant. Never saw an Applebees. 

I thought us Baby Boomers were responsible for destroying all that's good and pure in the west. WTF Millennials?

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #7

In spite of my overall contempt for millennials, they are not to blame here.

Here's why these restaurants are not successful:
failure to define their target customer market,
failure to design/create a concept & pricing strategy for that target market
and selecting the best location to reach that target market.

If these restaurant chains are stuck in the past, the best locations would be near retirement communities.

And the reality is, restaurants have a life span. Most restaurants born in the 1980s (like those mentioned in the OP) are dead today.

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #8
are there still Red Robins and TGIF Fridays out there?

Also, TTP, is there any group you don't hold overall in contempt?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #9
it's cool to hate millennials but my favorite thing about it is that "millennial" has meant "15-20 year olds" for over 10 years

Reply #10
ha!

• Fenrir
Reply #11
Not sad the crappy chains are dying.

Pissed off they took out all the little burger joints before they went.
It's what plants crave.

• nesb
Reply #12
A Buffalo Wild Wings opened near me... I want to say recently, but was probably over 5 years ago. I don't know how they do, but the local Applebee's would have to start actively poisoning people to go under.

• nesb
Reply #13

Oh. That's true. A solid local place died near me recently, but it was Five Guys that did them in.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #14
We treasure our little eateries. One a few km. away was open for 40+ years. Owner finally retired. Community mourned. Local guy bought it, and two years later it has reopened, Place was swamped the first day; they ran out of food, and you still can't get near for the lineup three weeks later. Nobody wants the new guy to fail.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #15
A Buffalo Wild Wings opened near me... I want to say recently, but was probably over 5 years ago. I don't know how they do, but the local Applebee's would have to start actively poisoning people to go under.

start?

Reply #16

Oh. That's true. A solid local place died near me recently, but it was Five Guys that did them in.
There's a five guys at a local mall. Heh. I've never been there. I think PDX may be divided along mall restaurant/ local restaurant lines.  Or along go to shopping malls/ don't go to shopping malls lines.

Reply #17
Applebee's is bad and I'm glad that they are dying.

I remember when a DC metro one we ate at back in the late 90's severely fucked up my mom's salad. A salad!

I'd rather eat fast food or some gas station junk than Applebee's. At least then I'm well aware of what I'm getting.

It's me, I'm the millennial killing shitty chain restaurants.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #18
I never liked Applebees.  I ate there maybe 3-4 times in my life.  It felt so phony.  It's a plastic chain that tries to be the local neighborhood bar and fails miserably.  I also prefer local restaurants to chains (in general), but I still go to Buffalo Wild Wings occasionally.  My SIL is the opposite.  She doesn't feel safe unless it's a Pizza Hut or McDonald's or Starbucks (or probably Cheesecake Factory, Fondue Pot, or probably a million more boring ass chains).

WT, what's the local chain sports bar in Tucson (I think they're in Phoenix also)?  I used to eat there when I was single.

Hell, other than BWW and 5 Guys, I don't even know the location of any of those big chains mentioned in this thread near me.  I think there's a Denny's down the street. I used to really like Outback, but the one near me has shitty atmosphere. It feels like a retirement home.

eta:  Famous Sam's.  There's a bunch in Tucson and a handful scattered around the rest of the state.
  • Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 06:46:44 PM by SkepticTank

Reply #19
Phoenix is blitz sports bar I think.

Eta. NM.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #20
Cheesecake Factory is pretty good. They actually make fresh food. Except the cheesecake lol.

Atul Gawande actually wrote a really interesting piece a few years ago for the New Yorker about Cheesecake Factory's kitchen system and how you might be able to translate some of the concepts to the healthcare industry.

Reply #21
I never liked Applebees.  I ate there maybe 3-4 times in my life.  It felt so phony.  It's a plastic chain that tries to be the local neighborhood bar and fails miserably.  I also prefer local restaurants to chains (in general), but I still go to Buffalo Wild Wings occasionally.  My SIL is the opposite.  She doesn't feel safe unless it's a Pizza Hut or McDonald's or Starbucks (or probably Cheesecake Factory, Fondue Pot, or probably a million more boring ass chains).

WT, what's the local chain sports bar in Tucson (I think they're in Phoenix also)?  I used to eat there when I was single.

Hell, other than BWW and 5 Guys, I don't even know the location of any of those big chains mentioned in this thread near me.  I think there's a Denny's down the street. I used to really like Outback, but the one near me has shitty atmosphere. It feels like a retirement home.

eta:  Famous Sam's.  There's a bunch in Tucson and a handful scattered around the rest of the state.
The weird thing about Famous Sam's is that even though it's a 'local chain' (I don't think any exist outside of AZ), it's one of the most inconsistent places. One of them near our place isn't bad, but the one just a few miles away is consistently shitty.  I suppose it's just cook, but it seems odd that there's such a huge difference between them.

We have a few local chains that are good. Eegee's makes some of the best icee style drinks you'll ever find. I'm not even sure if there are any PHX or other parts of AZ, but there are at least a dozen of them in Tucson. The other really good local sandwich chain is Baggin's.
  • Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:00:02 PM by Worldtraveller

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #22
overpriced crappy chain restaurants get none of my sympathy. And I think the ones near me have all gone out of business.

Many better and more worthy restaurants have folded while those crappy chains hung on years.

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot
Reply #23
I think the world would be bettered if all the crappy chain restaurants went out of business.  Starbucks too, that would be a genuine boon for society.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #24
Wait, Starbuck's is a chain?