Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: For Posting Experts.

Topic: The Millennials Are Killing Everything Thread (Read 1191 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: The Millennials Are Killing Everything Thread
Reply #75
They don't believe we're on the eve of destruction?

Reply #76
Millennials killing a bunch of dumb Boomer garbage icons and culture is good and will continue in the coming decades. Gen X will be eviscerated eventually, as well.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #77
And then the children will kill the Millennials.  :parrot:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #78
well I mean the main takeaway from bikers is "LOOK AT ME I AM A TOUGH GUY AND I HATE THE JEWS GAYS AND BLACKS I WAS A VETERAN!!!!" so I am proud of the millennials tbh
I dunno, V - mr.b. says he mostly likes the sensation while riding of being like a dog with its head out the window.

The impression of Harleys lots of people my age have is that they're for super cool tough guy midlife crisis dad or crazy veteran grandpa who likes to dress up in funny leather vests and make lots of noise to annoy people while riding slowly through the main street of small little quaint towns. Wow, let me sign right up for the privilege of paying $40,000 I don't have to do that on weekends for like 4 months out of the year.

I don't pay that close attention, but I see lots of motorcycles of other brands around, and I swear to god every single rider drives like a fucking lunatic dickbag, so it's not a surprise they're still donorcycles. I'm sure it's fun and all to ride them, but people of my generation who don't have the money aren't going to go further into debt to buy one, and people with the money don't seem to be particularly interested.

The only person in my immediate circle who has one is my brother, and he can afford it because he works a well paying engineering job but still takes advantage of my parents by living at home and only paying them $500 a month. He's got plenty of money to spend on dumb toys while mom and dad use their Social Security money to pay the utilities.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #79
btw styrofoam cups are absolutely the worst, can we please kill them for good?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #80
well I mean the main takeaway from bikers is "LOOK AT ME I AM A TOUGH GUY AND I HATE THE JEWS GAYS AND BLACKS I WAS A VETERAN!!!!" so I am proud of the millennials tbh
I dunno, V - mr.b. says he mostly likes the sensation while riding of being like a dog with its head out the window.

The impression of Harleys lots of people my age have is that they're for super cool tough guy midlife crisis dad or crazy veteran grandpa who likes to dress up in funny leather vests and make lots of noise to annoy people while riding slowly through the main street of small little quaint towns. Wow, let me sign right up for the privilege of paying $40,000 I don't have to do that on weekends for like 4 months out of the year.

I don't pay that close attention, but I see lots of motorcycles of other brands around, and I swear to god every single rider drives like a fucking lunatic dickbag, so it's not a surprise they're still donorcycles. I'm sure it's fun and all to ride them, but people of my generation who don't have the money aren't going to go further into debt to buy one, and people with the money don't seem to be particularly interested.

The only person in my immediate circle who has one is my brother, and he can afford it because he works a well paying engineering job but still takes advantage of my parents by living at home and only paying them $500 a month. He's got plenty of money to spend on dumb toys while mom and dad use their Social Security money to pay the utilities.
:hehe: Tbf, you live in the land of perpetual macho-belly o7, where annoying the neighbours appears to be perceived as an inalienable right along with one's guns.

Bikes do seem to be most attractive to mid-life crisis guy, although it could be that's when they feel like they can afford them, both financially and otherwise (kids grown up, life well established, last chance to have a long-held wish fulfilled before the crippling effects of age set in...). The cost of new ones is of course ridiculous. I don't actually know anyone with a new motorcycle of any brand; they all buy relatively inexpensive decade+ old machines, many of which have been barely used, in part because the climate prohibits comfortable riding more than four months of the year.

Reply #81
That's the best part about Harleys. They're trash bikes that are super expensive solely for the name. And yeah pretty much everyone who has one is a dickbag, and "loud pipes save lives" is really dumb and wrong.

I have no love for sport bikes either though since I live about a mile away from an on ramp they love to use for speed runs.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #82
The cost of new ones is of course ridiculous. I don't actually know anyone with a new motorcycle of any brand; they all buy relatively inexpensive decade+ old machines, many of which have been barely used, in part because the climate prohibits comfortable riding more than four months of the year.
They don't have to be super expensive.  I haven't checked in years, but most Harley's were between $10K - $20K new (while Japanese bikes were about half of that). But people like to spend big money on customizing them.  The super ridiculous expensive ones are the custom builders like Orange County Choppers, and Jesse James.

eta:  Just checked my local HD dealer website.  They range from $7000 - $40000.  With plenty of "decent" bikes in the $10K-$15K range.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #83
So they range from waste of money to bigger waste of money. :hmm:

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #84
So they range from waste of money to bigger waste of money. :hmm:
All toys are a waste of money.

Reply #85
Disclaimer: I have 3 motorcycles in my garage.

Most Harley riders are decent guys, but they are more into the 'image' than anything else. On the plus side, part of that image is lots of charity rides as a good excuse to go out and ride with a lot of friends, get the cops to let you run red lights, and have huge (3000+ bikes for some of the bigger runs) 'parades' through town. :) 

All of my bikes are sport bikes, and while all of us don't ride like idiots, there are more than our fair share. The flip side of that is that one becomes even more acutely aware of just how stupid, distracted, and downright bad most people are at controlling the 4000 lb death machines careening down the highways. It really makes our motorcycles pale in comparison, based on the sheer numbers, and mass.... 

• ksen
Reply #86
Thing that bothers me is that I see a lot of "watch for motorcycle" signs on cars so I do try to keep an extra eye out looking for bikers.  Unfortunately bikers don't seem to want to provide the same courtesy and weave in and out of traffic like dickheads.  Makes me not want to watch out for them.

Reply #87
I'm still amazed California allows lane splitting everywhere

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #88
The flip side of that is that one becomes even more acutely aware of just how stupid, distracted, and downright bad most people are at controlling the 4000 lb death machines careening down the highways. It really makes our motorcycles pale in comparison, based on the sheer numbers, and mass.... 
I've often said people should be required to ride a motorcycle for a year or two before getting their car license.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #89
I assume the ones without helmets, like the guy I saw on 95 in MD who was also wearing a t shirt, actually want to die.

Reply #90
I assume the ones without helmets, like the guy I saw on 95 in MD who was also wearing a t shirt, actually want to die.
That's a pretty modern attitude. While lots of people do die on motorcycles, lots don't. Before there were helmet laws, I used to sometimes wear one and sometimes not and same with leathers. I didn't get armor til in the 2000's. It's kind of like bicycle helmets. I don't think I ever saw one outside the Olympics til sometime in the mid 80s. Certainly not on a kid.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #91
Disclaimer: I have 3 motorcycles in my garage.
[...]
All of my bikes are sport bikes,

Why do you need 3 sport bikes?  One for the track?

At peak motorcycle I had 5. 
A cruiser, a standard, 2 dirt bikes and a dual sport.

Reply #92
My brother has like 30. True story.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #93
You're related to Jay Leno?

Reply #94
No. It's a long story.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #95
I feel lucky - mr.b only has one.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #96
I'm still amazed California allows lane splitting everywhere
I lived there and it freaked me out EVERY. TIME. I got passed. Now when I go back I have to audibly remind myself they can do that before starting the car.

OTOH, loves me some California U-Turns

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #97
Oh I had a little Honda 400cc street bike that trucks would blow onto the shoulder when they passed me. I liked riding on two lane country roads though.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #98
OTOH, loves me some California U-Turns
:dunno:  Google was no help.

Texas has the best U-turns.

Way better than NJ Jug Handles (though those are pretty sweet too).

Reply #99
Thing that bothers me is that I see a lot of "watch for motorcycle" signs on cars so I do try to keep an extra eye out looking for bikers.  Unfortunately bikers don't seem to want to provide the same courtesy and weave in and out of traffic like dickheads.  Makes me not want to watch out for them.
#notallbikers