Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational:  It's good to be vig

Topic: Republican Congressmen reported shot in Washington (Read 993 times) previous topic - next topic

• MSG
Republican Congressmen reported shot in Washington

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Alexandria-Police-on-Scene-of-Shooting-in-Del-Ray-428383133.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DCBrand

Police say multiple people were shot Wednesday morning in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, Virginia.
The shooting happened in the 400 block of E. Monroe Street. It's not clear how many people were injured, but police are calling the incident a "multiple shooting."
An apparent witness to the event, Benjamin Childers, wrote on Twitter that someone opened fire on a baseball field where congressional Republicans were practicing and he heard many shots.
"We had three members of Congress take shelter in our apartment," he said on a live stream, as sounds of emergency vehicles could be heard. "The three weren't shot." NBC was reaching out to him for comment.
braying among the ruins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: Republican Congressmen reported shot in Washington
Reply #1
Second Amendment people!   :patriot:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #2
this is about a mile from our apartment.  not a ton of details or hard facts yet.

the house gop baseball team was having practice when the shooting happened.  scalise, the house gop whip, was reportedly hit in the hip.

given scalise's flirtation with white supremacists, it's tempting to think he was targeted over that.  however, it sounds like this was a generalized shooting spree (50 shots fired), so maybe he wasn't specifically a target.

between the facts that an (apparently semiautomatic) rifle was used, and the shooter is in custody rather than dead, I am going to guess the shooter is white.

• ksen
Reply #3
Free Republic and /pol/ are saying someone asked the political affiliation of those at the baseball fields before the shots were fired.

No links to source this though.

• el jefe
Reply #4
guapo's shooting motive pool:

1) rightwing nut job thinks the gop is selling out by not locking up hillary or w/e
2) jihadist terrorism (though it would be especially unusual for such an attacker not to already be dead)

...and guapo's dark horse prediction:

3) white liberal who thinks trump is the next hitler.
  • Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 05:59:24 AM by el jefe

• el jefe
Reply #5
Free Republic and /pol/ are saying someone asked the political affiliation of those at the baseball fields before the shots were fired.

No links to source this though.
the mere fact that it was a group of republican congressmen makes political motive an obvious possibility

• ksen
Reply #6
What if we add overweight white guy to the mix?

• el jefe
Reply #7
What if we add overweight white guy to the mix?
that could be #1 or 3

• el jefe
Reply #8
updates

http://wtop.com/alexandria/2017/06/14231771/

scalise in stable condition.  two cops shot, as well as "several others".  guessing that "several" = 2, because 5 people were taken to the hospital, and I can't imagine they would decide not to take anyone with a gunshot wound to the hospital.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #9
The gunman was shot by U.S. Capital Police, apprehended and taken to the hospital. Sen. Mike Lee told Fox News, however, the gunman was dead.
from Fox news, so...

• MikeS
Reply #10
Now it becomes a false flag.

• el jefe
Reply #11
The gunman was shot by U.S. Capital Police, apprehended and taken to the hospital. Sen. Mike Lee told Fox News, however, the gunman was dead.
from Fox news, so...
but they make a testable claim, naming a source who's probably in a position to know and has no obvious reason to lie

if the shooter was dead at the scene, that opens the door to him being non-white.

• ksen
Reply #12
Nutjob sites are convinced it was ANTIFA and that this was the opening shots of Civil War 2.

Does ANTIFA even get up that early?

Idiots.

• el jefe
Reply #13
http://heavy.com/news/2017/06/gunman-opens-fire-on-congressman-baseball-ymca-del-ray-alexandria-virginia-dc/

this has more details.

here's a possible origin of the freepers claim that the shooter was asking people's political affiliations

Jeff Duncan, the U.S. Representative for Tennessee's 2nd congressional district, told Fox News that he spoke to the shooter prior to the shooting.

Congress Ron DeSantis states that the shooter asked them if the baseball game was Republican or Democrat.

DeSantis told Fox & Friends, "I actually left a little early, probably about a couple minutes before this all happened, and as I was getting into the car with one of my colleagues, Jeff Duncan, there was a guy that walked up to us that asked if it was Democrats or Republicans out there."
so what they really know is that
1) someone asked them about political affiliations
2) they got in a car and left
3) then the shooting happened

I want to hear them talk about why they think the person they talked to was the shooter, as well as why they didn't notice him carrying a machine gun.

Reply #14
like, if you're planning on a politically motivated shooting, presumably you'll know that you're targeting the republican baseball team before showing up.

or i guess there could be this roaming bunch of spree shooters just waiting to randomly stumble across a bunch of GOP congressmen playing baseball.

• ksen
Reply #15
I found a link to a Hill story about this too.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/337724-gop-rep-before-shooting-man-asked-whether-we-were-dems-or-gop

The Congressman couldn't give a couple details about the appearance of the questioner?

• el jefe
Reply #16
like, if you're planning on a politically motivated shooting, presumably you'll know that you're targeting the republican baseball team before showing up.

or i guess there could be this roaming bunch of spree shooters just waiting to randomly stumble across a bunch of GOP congressmen playing baseball.
right.  i had the same thought.  also, someone who cares enough about politics to shoot people over it would probably recognize some of them.

• el jefe
Reply #17
here's an instant-migraine inducing thought.  if and when the police determine that the person who was asking questions was not the same person as the shooter, and say so, the alt-right  will assume the original identification was true and that the police are engaged in a cover-up.

Reply #18
The congressman who said he was asked "reps or dems?" described that person as wearing running clothes. Another congressman described the shooter as wearing jeans. It's entirely possible if not very likely these were different people.

Media reports on developing stories are usually very wrong early on.

Reply #19
here's an instant-migraine inducing thought.  if and when the police determine that the person who was asking questions was not the same person as the shooter, and say so, the alt-right  will assume the original identification was true and that the police are engaged in a cover-up.
it's a completely irrelevant detail. like it doesn't seem to make sense for the shooter to ask that beforehand but the shooting could still be politically motivated.

• el jefe
Reply #20
right

eta: though if the shooter was asking "republicans or democrats", that isn't as good a fit for my possibility of "rwnj shoots rinos".  it would point to a simply partisan motive.  ....  I've decided it ultimately does matter a little.
  • Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:16:47 AM by el jefe

Reply #21
Nutjob sites are convinced it was ANTIFA and that this was the opening shots of Civil War 2.

Does ANTIFA even get up that early?

Idiots.

More likely it's someone furious about the health care bill.

• el jefe
Reply #22
guapoinsight:

if the shooter were nonwhite, at least one of these republican congressmen and aides would have said so by now, if not to the press, then to family & friends, etc.  and that would have gotten out and been all over the internet by now.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #23

Yeah, blew their random encounter roll.

• el jefe
Reply #24
https://www.vox.com/2017/6/14/15799256/steve-scalise-shot-gunfire-congressional-baseball

Brooks identified the shooter as a white middle-aged man with a rifle.

called it