Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Republican Congressmen reported shot in Washington (Read 957 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Republican Congressmen reported shot in Washington
Reply #150
How does one get from reality to FReeper HarleyLady27?

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #151
What I wonder is how large a fraction of the total U.S. population is at, or right of, her position on the reality <---> RWNJ spectrum.
5% ?  25% ? :ohdear:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #152
What I wonder is how large a fraction of the total U.S. population is at, or right of, her position on the reality <---> RWNJ spectrum.
5% ?  25% ? :ohdear:
Too many. (One being too many in this case, but way way too many.)

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #153
I'm reminded or my psych 101 class where I learned that it's estimated ~10% of the population is psychotic.  psychotic = fully detached from reality.

Reply #154
Meth and Jesus.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• nesb
  • Needs a Life

Reply #155
https://www.axios.com/gop-congressman-blames-trump-for-unleashing-partisan-demons-2442108490.html

Republican Congressman Mark Sanford told Morning Joe's Mika Brzezinski Thursday that Trump is "at least partially to blame" for the "demons that have have been unleashed," referring to the nasty partisan rhetoric that has spread throughout the country in recent months, as demonstrated by Wednesday's shooting on a Congressional baseball practice.
surprised by that.  also, yesterday I had a libertarian-ish friend surprise me by saying something similar.  I wonder how many on the right share this pleasantly surprising willingness to acknowledge that their people have been stoking this atmosphere.

Pissing off liberals is one of the prime stated goals of Trump supporters. I'm not sure how you can square that with shock and dismay when it works.

Reply #156
https://www.axios.com/gop-congressman-blames-trump-for-unleashing-partisan-demons-2442108490.html

Republican Congressman Mark Sanford told Morning Joe's Mika Brzezinski Thursday that Trump is "at least partially to blame" for the "demons that have have been unleashed," referring to the nasty partisan rhetoric that has spread throughout the country in recent months, as demonstrated by Wednesday's shooting on a Congressional baseball practice.
surprised by that.  also, yesterday I had a libertarian-ish friend surprise me by saying something similar.  I wonder how many on the right share this pleasantly surprising willingness to acknowledge that their people have been stoking this atmosphere.

Pissing off liberals is one of the prime stated goals of Trump supporters. I'm not sure how you can square that with shock and dismay when it works.
Because the first rule of privilege/domination is that there is no privilege/domination.

Reply #157
apparently it's obama's fault btw, lol

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #158
https://politicalwire.com/2017/06/16/bonus-quote-day-157/

ted nugent of all people

I'm going to take a deep breath, and I'm going to back it down, and if it gets fiery, if it gets hateful, I'm going away. I'm not going to engage in that kind of hateful rhetoric anymore.
again I'm surprised.  the shooting seems to be causing them a serious gut check about their rhetoric.

Reply #159

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #160
again I'm surprised.  the shooting seems to be causing them a serious gut check about their rhetoric.

oh guapo. How adorable.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #161
thanks for the translation

Reply #162
https://politicalwire.com/2017/06/16/bonus-quote-day-157/

ted nugent of all people

I'm going to take a deep breath, and I'm going to back it down, and if it gets fiery, if it gets hateful, I'm going away. I'm not going to engage in that kind of hateful rhetoric anymore.

fuck him and every other idiot who's scared about this now. a bunch of children getting murdered doesn't cause him to blink, but an asshole white supremacist catches a bullet and all of a sudden decorum and detente is sooooo important.

e: also in my head I tell myself that every "thoughts and prayers" from a liberal is 100% ironic because that's all we ever get after mass shootings from the gun fetishists.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #163
it's scary and beyond absurd that it took a far right congressman getting shot before these people started to think maybe all this deranged rhetoric is dangerous.  but for them to think so is a step in the right direction.  not something they get points for.  just possibly a sign we'll see less of it from them. 

and I am legit surprised they are reacting this way at all.  I expected nothing in the way of a changed mentality.  I expected more of the same from them, only even angrier and more terrified of their own shadows.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #164
it's scary and beyond absurd that it took a far right congressman getting shot before these people started to think maybe all this deranged rhetoric is dangerous.  but for them to think so is a step in the right direction.  ...
a day late and a dollar short, methinks.

I really doubt that many III%-ers will be putting down their weapons, doing some deep soul-searching, and wondering "maybe things have gotten a little out of hand".
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #165
fucked up that the whole time they were talking about needing guns to overthrow tyrants, they never considered the possibility that someone would think they're the tyrants.

Reply #166
I'm also not giving them any benefit of the doubt and assume that they're going to go right back to the 2ND AMENDMENT SOLUTION rhetoric the next time it suits them.

e.g. look at this disingenuous bullshit

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #167
What's interesting is Gianforte didn't contest the charges, but simply accepted them.

Given the overwhelming personal testimony and video evidence against him, he chose to simply accept the charges and the consequences. I have to give that to him, though I am not convinced he'd have behaved so well if there had not been some national focus on the situation.
Are we there yet?

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #168
I'm also not giving them any benefit of the doubt and assume that they're going to go right back to the 2ND AMENDMENT SOLUTION rhetoric the next time it suits them.

e.g. look at this disingenuous bullshit

Exactly. They're reacting this way because it's currently politically convenient. No indication your average GOP asshole is going to magically change in the long term. Don't be so fucking naive.

Reply #169
What's interesting is Gianforte didn't contest the charges, but simply accepted them.

Given the overwhelming personal testimony and video evidence against him, he chose to simply accept the charges and the consequences. I have to give that to him, though I am not convinced he'd have behaved so well if there had not been some national focus on the situation.

because he knew he'd get a slap on the wrist and this'll just go away

Reply #170

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #171
https://harpers.org/blog/2017/06/weekly-review-20/
That's the 20th weekly review?  jesus christ what a shitshow

It's just too massive to comprehend the whole stinking pile that is this administration and the GOP controlled legislature.

Just to make your day worse, imagine all the other maverick and deranged multi-billionaires running around with their siblings working for the "family business" and doing these deals and discussions; all outside the purview of the press or any type of check and balance.

Reply #172
Maybe we can combine congressional softball with skeet shooting? Collateral damage is totally worth it.

I'd watch that!  :D

Reply #173
Let Them Fucking Die
In a battle between the moral and the immoral, the immoral will always win because they have no qualms about not abiding by the rules. Whereas those of us who imagine ourselves as moral gladly die at the immorals' hands because we think better glories await us in some other, unseen realm. We, the moral, are terrible at memory. We never remember who created these rules and for what purpose. The immoral created morality so that we would accept their abuse and never even dream of retaliation. Like any drug white/cisgender/heterosexual people have ever given us, we get high on this notion that forgiving them after they slaughter our grandparents in churches, obliterate our siblings in the streets, and mangle our children in playgrounds makes us better people than they.

We imagine, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that by becoming a shining example of this "righteous" behavior, we might, somehow, guide these cannibals into becoming upright beings capable of following the very rules they enforce upon us.

We are wrong.

The merciful have no sway over the merciless.

Give their constructions back to them.

Turn your compassion inward.

Reply #174
tough but fair