Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: PZ Myers is a leading biologist

Topic: SciBabe: Chiropractors are bullshit, yall (Read 455 times) previous topic - next topic

• Old Dan
SciBabe: Chiropractors are bullshit, yall
"CHIROPRACTORS ARE BULLSHIT: You shouldn't trust them with your spine or any other part of your body."

Yvette d'Entremont
JUN--22--2017

Chiropractic care, I'm sorry to say, is little more than the buffoonery of a 19th-century lunatic who derived most of his medical theory from séances. It has not evolved much since its creation. Chiropractic beliefs are dangerously far removed from mainstream medicine, and the vocation's practices have been linked to strokes, herniated discs, and even death. Chiropractors can't replace your doctor, and I'm amazed that they're still even allowed to practice. You shouldn't trust them with your spine or any other part of your body, and here's why.

I already done known that chiropractic was a load of baloney, yall, but SciBabe done wrote what I reckon may be her only article about chiropractic baloney, right here.

I heard a secret, that there's a message board fer non-quack chiros who are tryin to get science to wrap around their beliefs.

So which of yall are suckers fer shitty and possibly dangerous back massages?

Re: SciBabe: Chiropractors are bullshit, yall
Reply #1
My daughter swears by hers.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #2
I'll plead guilty.  I used to go fairly often (because it felt good).

I stopped because of those studies linking chiropractic treatments (especially around the neck) to strokes.  Don't want a stroke.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #3
I've been. It helped with back pain. Similar results with a physical therapist. I wouldn't go to one for lung cancer or a runny nose.

Reply #4
I'll plead guilty.  I used to go fairly often (because it felt good).

I stopped because of those studies linking chiropractic treatments (especially around the neck) to strokes.  Don't want a stroke.

I've never been to one but some of us feel better when a joint is cracked.  I suspect that's what's actually behind people believing in it.

• MikeS
Reply #5
The spine alignment and joint movement thingy is probably helpful.  What I don't like about chiropractic "care" is there is no long term solutions or corrective actions prescribed by many practitioners.  They get their money by repeat business so why "fix" an issue when you can just repair it periodically.

I get that some issues related to posture or genetics may require constant care, but other issues could be solved via surgery and/or joint replacement that otherwise require the patient to see the chiropractor constantly.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #6
I was and am highly skeptical, but my husband's doctor referred him to one for severe pain related to a compressed disc in his neck affecting nerves going to his arm. He was in stupid amounts of pain at the time. Insurance allowed for six treatments, he took them all and it had a significant effect on the pain and ability to move his arm freely. It wasn't permanent, though, and he now takes several medications, including one that specifically targets the nerves. They work better than the chiro guy's efforts.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #7
Some are good, most are not. The Girl, after a series of serious car accidents, had a very good one for a while, but he got in a family way and retired. Not so impressed since with others. Son-in-Law swears by them, but only when they do exactly what he tells them to (he's a Physical Therapist) and only specific ones. I'm ambivalent, I suppose when they stick to their basics, they may do some good but as noted, often it's just bandaids and one has to come back forever.

Naturopaths are similar. Some are good and effective, most are not. One guy near us is amazing, just his touch is healing. Yeah, I know, that sounds silly. But he really does have healing in his being. Unfortunately he's retiring. BTW, he figures if what he does doesn't solve the issue with two or three visits max, you need to try something else.

As a boy, our family doctor was simply amazing. He too had healing in his being. I don't know what it was, but he could just touch a painful part (broken bone or a bad ass boil) and it'd stop hurting. At least long enough for him to do what needed doing. Not always and he was always ready to use anesthesias of one form or another. 
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
Reply #8
Is there such a thing as a Placebo-ician?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #9
RAFH, that sounds completely airy-fairy nonsense.

Some doctors/people might be better at getting patients to relax, which all by itself might reduce some kinds of pain. I seriously doubt anyone has some innate ability to heal.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #10

Some doctors/people might be better at getting patients to relax, which all by itself might reduce some kinds of pain. I seriously doubt anyone has some innate ability to heal.
With, of cource, the possible exception of

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• MikeS
Reply #11

With, of cource, the possible exception of

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
fyp (see spoiler)

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #12

Doubt what you like, but in my experience, some people do indeed have an innate way of being, acting, touching, talking, manipulating the joints, muscles and connecting tissue. Perhaps as you say, they relax the patient. Tension in the nerves, muscles and other systems would seem to acerbate pain and make doing anything more difficult. Anxiety certainly does. If a patient is freaked, they will react badly to most any threat they perceive.

On the other hand, I've had doctors and other medical personnel who did just the opposite. They caused tension and anxiety.

Trust is also a big issue and some people exude trustworthiness while others exude exactly the opposite.
Are we there yet?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #13
It's all in the head.

• MikeS
Reply #14

• Monad
Reply #15
I have no doubt what Chiropracters do can sometimes make people feel good, just as religion can sometimes make people feel good (or taking drugs). Doesn't negate the fact that they are all shortcuts.

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #16
Yes

Conversations with those who swear by them are awkward.