Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Raven'll do it

Topic: The Case for Sortition (Read 314 times) previous topic - next topic

The Case for Sortition
Why Not Have a Randomly Selected Congress?

have to admit they have a point

• nesb
Re: The Case for Sortition
Reply #1
Republicans would surely find a way to make the system favor Republicans. Like, make it so only people who own a copy of Bill O'Reilly's (acclaimed?) novel, Those Who Trespass: A Novel of Television and Murder, qualify for selection. Also, you have to be over 60 and not black.

Reply #2
Boy would the competition among conspiracy theory news sites heat up though. It would be like a lottery among pawns.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3
Boy would the competition among conspiracy theory news sites heat up though. It would be like a lottery among pawns.
Isn't that the plot of the hunger games?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #4
I've been touting this idea for years. They stole it from me.  :colbert:

Although I think half the senate, half the house, and the VP should be a draft. the rest we elect normally with an improved election system.

Reply #5
i legit kinda like the idea of a house of reps by sortition and an elected senate.

Reply #6
Better idea: call a unique jury of randomly assigned jurors for all legislative votes.

Reply #7
Better idea: call a unique jury of randomly assigned jurors for all legislative votes.
Hell no, some might have actually published in Nature!
Believer in High Powers, and naturally, logarithms.
Pikkiwoki is the one true god.

• nesb
Reply #8
Why not just do some direct democracy? We have the Internet, which is a secure and reliable way to poll anything.

• nesb
Reply #9
I mean, if the Swiss can do it....

Reply #10
Why not just do some direct democracy? We have the Internet, which is a secure and reliable way to poll anything.
lmao

• Pingu
Reply #11
Council of Vampires!
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #12
Benevolent dictatorship by the puppy.

Platform:
1. Freedom of religion, and freedom from religion.
2. A strictly secular state
3. Open source science publishing AND paywall science and academic papers available to all at no cost to the public in libraries.
4. Impeach trump.
5. Green energy sources, subsidised if necessary.
6. Taxes on carbon and other industries that pollute.
7. Taxes on international corporations and a political solution to tax havens.
8. Education, from Playschool to Graduate school, will be free.
9. basic medical care free.
10. Open and public discussion about trade agreements, globalisation etc.
11. Sensible, humane policies for retirees, people with disabilities.
12. More effort /funding for mental illnesses.
13. Worker shares in companies compulsory.
14. Tax incentives for social or environmental goods, tax burden for anti-social or environmental damage.
15. The onus of proof is on the government to justify making a document secret [except privacy concerns].
16 tighten restrictions of arms sales.
17. No natural right to bare arms [except at nudist colony, beach etc].
18 The right and authority of governments to issue firearm licences, and discriminate on the basis of mental history, history of violence, etc., but NOT on the basis of class, income, gender, or race etc.
19. open and natural rights for marriage. eg SSM
20 Compulsory voting --at all levels of government
21. No death penalty, for whatever reason.
22. No government funding for sport, except in clear cases where this would cause hardship and private funding is not available.
23. No privatisation of public goods.
24 NO inequitable, discriminatory practices by religions on the basis of race, sex, gender, religion etc.
25. No tax-free status for churches, except genuine charitable activities eg evangelical activities are not tax-deductable.
26. Religious schools must teach science and critical thinking, without prejudice. Religious instruction should be just that, and not be confined to one faith or philosophy. EG a Catholic school should teach about Islam, Hindi, etc as well as other Christian faiths etc without prejudice or favour, and include other positions, including atheism and agnosticism. religious practices eg prayer should be extra-curricular. This limitation also applies to government schools.
27. Compulsory police checks for anyone involved in working with children or other vulnerable persons
28. repeal all anti-blasphemy laws.
29. Believe in Richard Dawkins, except when he is being a dick.
30 Love and worship puppies, for they are your dog.

Believer in High Powers, and naturally, logarithms.
Pikkiwoki is the one true god.

Reply #13
 :no: The UK government invests a fair bit of money in sport- lots of it comes from the lottery, and it tends to go to either minority sports- like pretty much everything in the Olympics- as a result Team Sky (which is pretty much the UK national team) is among the best in the world, and the track team are also pretty incredible. There's also all the disability sports too, 

It's not like we're giving any of this money to formula 1, or premiership football teams, It's a lot harder than it appears to justify removing government funding. You're going to be bringing home a lot fewer medals from the Olympics, especially as China won't be stopping their government investment.
Why do I bother?

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #14
:no: The UK government invests a fair bit of money in sport- lots of it comes from the lottery, and it tends to go to either minority sports- like pretty much everything in the Olympics- as a result Team Sky (which is pretty much the UK national team) is among the best in the world, and the track team are also pretty incredible. There's also all the disability sports too,

It's not like we're giving any of this money to formula 1, or premiership football teams, It's a lot harder than it appears to justify removing government funding. You're going to be bringing home a lot fewer medals from the Olympics, especially as China won't be stopping their government investment.
I agree with funding for amateur sports, but draw the line with professional sports and the Olympics have become just as professional (ie - commercial) as football, auto racing, etc. Wanting to bring home Olympic medals is just another form of nationalism.

That's not to say I object to government investing in commercial ventures, but only with the same expectations as any other investor, ie - return on investment.
Are we there yet?

Reply #15
If Congress is selected randomly, there'd be no Green Party, since there'd be no parties, and the Green Party is anyway a reaction to the intransigence of the dominant two parties, which would be broken by random selection, so without them there is no reason a Green Party would exist whose members could be randomly appointed.

• nesb
Reply #16
If Congress is selected randomly, there'd be no Green Party, since there'd be no parties, and the Green Party is anyway a reaction to the intransigence of the dominant two parties, which would be broken by random selection, so without them there is no reason a Green Party would exist whose members could be randomly appointed.

I forgot that bit from the OP, so it took me a second to figure out why you seemed randomly concerned about the Green Party. Which, incidentally, I'm pretty sure has won local elections here or there in Cali.

Reply #17

see: California prop system

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #18

see: California prop system

good or bad? /non-american Q