Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: For Posting Experts.

Topic: History of the War on Drugs. (Read 84 times) previous topic - next topic

History of the War on Drugs.
Holy shit, I started watching this documentary on the History Channel (I know, I know) and it is depressing, and infuriating, and pretty much makes me want to tear the whole fucking "intelligence community" a new fucking asshole.

Serious question: Has the CIA ever done anything that didn't completely turn into a fucked up mess and the 'blowback' wound up being ten times worse?  (I suppose there were all the instances where they just fucked up right out the gate and nothing bad probably happened....)

http://www.history.com/shows/americas-war-on-drugs

Testy, I think you will really enjoy this (or at least find it interesting....'enjoy' might not be the right word). 

Basically, almost all drugs in the US, with the significant exception of marijuana, were brought to the US, by the US government, in the form of the CIA. Then they turned around and armed the cops, created alliances with the cartels, and just generally fucked up things here and around the world.

Re: History of the War on Drugs.
Reply #1
I am already fairly well versed on the topic. And, really, while some people may be offended at my stance on cops, they are complicit in the evil. Good people cannot be cops, which makes it easy to decide which cops are worth caring about. The act of taking the job is violence against innocent citizens. They all are guilty of murder in the same way that a getaway driver is. No pity for their suffering.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2
I'd known bits and pieces of it, but not just how deeply intertwined a lot of it was. I still have two episodes to go. I think the next one gets into the Clinton presidency, which I remember thinking at the time wasn't such a bad thing, but learned a lot about how it was implemented much later.

Reply #3
I feel like there has been organized drug crime in the US long before the CIA and "war on drugs"

• MSG
Reply #4
this program discusses a history of the US war on drugs going back to the early 20th Century http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/end-of-the-war-on-drugs/6080656

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2015/02/lnl_20150203_2220.mp3

Prior to prohibition of narcotics, three quarters of self-described addicts had steady jobs--up to 22 per cent were wealthy white people and only 6 per cent were poor. The creation of a war on drugs created a new class of criminal.

In 1914 the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act was passed, banning the sale of drugs, though the Supreme Court ruled that doctors could still prescribe heroin for addicts. Sixteen years later, Anslinger decided to ignore the court's ruling, taking matters into his own hands and starting a war against heroin-prescribing doctors. An estimated 20,000 doctors were charged, and many faced massive fines and even served time in prison.

Once the doctors were put in their place, Anslinger dragged the Communists into the picture-- 'Communist heroin' was seen as a strategic initiative to weaken the United States.

Perhaps his most enduring legacy emerged from his repeated visits to the United Nations during the 1950s, though. According to Hari, Anslinger effectively bullied many smaller countries into changing their policies. Thus the global war on drugs was born, and continues to this day.
braying among the ruins

Reply #5
Cops who enable that are utterly morally equivalent to German ss and death camp guards. Shorter version, fuck the police.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #6
this program discusses a history of the US war on drugs going back to the early 20th Century http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/end-of-the-war-on-drugs/6080656

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/rn/podcast/2015/02/lnl_20150203_2220.mp3

Prior to prohibition of narcotics, three quarters of self-described addicts had steady jobs--up to 22 per cent were wealthy white people and only 6 per cent were poor. The creation of a war on drugs created a new class of criminal.

In 1914 the Harrison Narcotics Tax Act was passed, banning the sale of drugs, though the Supreme Court ruled that doctors could still prescribe heroin for addicts. Sixteen years later, Anslinger decided to ignore the court's ruling, taking matters into his own hands and starting a war against heroin-prescribing doctors. An estimated 20,000 doctors were charged, and many faced massive fines and even served time in prison.

Once the doctors were put in their place, Anslinger dragged the Communists into the picture-- 'Communist heroin' was seen as a strategic initiative to weaken the United States.

Perhaps his most enduring legacy emerged from his repeated visits to the United Nations during the 1950s, though. According to Hari, Anslinger effectively bullied many smaller countries into changing their policies. Thus the global war on drugs was born, and continues to this day.

There have also been alcohol prohibition movements and various other ebbs and flows of drug legality. It's not socially effective, but it's part of this dumb country's DNA. It's not some dastardly CIA plot from the 60s to lock up hippies.