Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: What Movie have you watched lately? (Read 2569 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

What Movie have you watched lately?
Rudderless.

Recommended by the local morning radio jock.  Excellent.

I suggest watching it blind, but if you don't trust me, here's a review that isn't too spoilery.
  • Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:55:23 PM by SkepticTank

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Re: What Movie have you watched lately?
Reply #1
Lucy.

Science was a bit shaky (okay, completely full of anything resembling actual science, plus a bunch of false old-wives tales), but it was enjoyable in a typically Luc Besson way.

Plus Scarlett is nice to look at.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #2
I can't bring myself to watch it.  The fact they got Morgan Freeman to state the 10% of your brain bullshit just pisses me off too much.

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
Lucy.

Science was a bit shaky (okay, completely full of anything resembling actual science, plus a bunch of false old-wives tales), but it was enjoyable in a typically Luc Besson way.

Plus Scarlett is nice to look at.

Great film, one of my favourites of last year, don't care about the science being wrong, it's science fiction not a documentary.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Ridiculous Callipygous

Reply #4
I can't bring myself to watch it.  The fact they got Morgan Freeman to state the 10% of your brain bullshit just pisses me off too much.

It would have been one thing to hear that while actually watching the movie, maybe a good cringe and move on. But the fact they used that line in both the long and culled version of the commercials up to and during it's run irked the crap out of me too.
"You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things. But nobody talks about that."

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #5
Deadpool.

Not a big fan of comicbook superhero movies but this was very well done. 

Reply #6
The last movie I watched was Interstellar.  Really enjoyed it and thought it was  very well done.

I didn't see it in the theatre.  Watched it at home a few weeks ago.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #7
Free State of Jones
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #8
Anomalisa. Just weird enough for me.

Reply #9
Independence Day: Regurgitation.

You know how people thought that Star Wars copied the original too much?
I didn't think so and that you had to point out the similarities to really notice them.

ID:R had too many repeats of the first.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #10
Did The Fly hack a virus on his MacBook to fuck up the Aliens again?

If not, I'm ok with it.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11
We've come a long way since then. This time they let /b/ take over.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #12
 :hmm:

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13

I didn't think so and that you had to point out the similarities to really notice them.

Just watched it, didn't suck as much as I expected. Watchable.

Reply #14
Did The Fly hack a virus on his MacBook to fuck up the Aliens again?

If not, I'm ok with it.
No but in some ways that might have been better.
It's more like a new plot but let's stick in the send a radio message to everyone around the World scene, it doesn't fit this movie but what the heck let's include it any wa.  And let's have Alex Reiger chewed out for diving too slow but this time it will be a car load of kids doing it.

Reply #15

Just watched it, didn't suck as much as I expected. Watchable.
I think a big part of my problem was that based on the trailers I thought they would do a great job and make a movie better than the original.
The movie could have been great if they had made more effort on the script and tried less to have "tributes" to the original.  Or at least had them fit the movie better.

And President Whitmore knew they were coming back ala Picard knew the Borg were back because he had been Locutus.

I will probably watch it again sometime, if for no other reason that to check to see if the one scene was quoting lyrics from Dr. Hook's If Not You.

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #16
Just watched American Beauty for the first time, I seem to have kept avoiding it for some reason. Really great film, surprised me actually.

Reply #17
there is a movie on Netflix called phoenix that is really good.  sort of a Hitchcockian historical noire.

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Reply #18
Oh yeah, it's completely lacking in real science.  If you can suspend your disbelief on that bit, it was fun.   :p

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Reply #19

It would have been one thing to hear that while actually watching the movie, maybe a good cringe and move on. But the fact they used that line in both the long and culled version of the commercials up to and during it's run irked the crap out of me too.
That was the whole premise though - there's no cringing and moving on.  You just have to accept that they're totally wrong.  Kind of like watching a kids movie with cavemen riding on dinosaurs ;).

• Photon
  • Needs a Life
  • I interfere with myself

Reply #20
Rudderless was excellent, I watched it a few years ago soon after starting guitar seriously; some performances in that movie are fantastic.

Another vote for Deadpool - that is a movie I will buy, a rarity nowadays, it had so many great character scenes filled with expletive irreverence. Counter-culture for itself.

In the last two weeks I've watched:

Batman v. Superman - fully expected this to suck, terribly, and aside from a few scenes mostly involving Lois Lane, it was pretty good. One of the better DC efforts for sure. It needed an editor maybe.

The Boss - not worth a theatre ticket - Melissa McCarthy can be hilarious especially ad lib, but this had only two scenes where I laughed out loud, it might be worth it on Netflix.

The Martian - really liked the science in this movie up til the last 10 minutes, preferred the book, but the movie sufficiently captured the love letter to engineering, pioneering survival, and creative problem-solving.  For such a long movie it could have had more character development.

Her - surprisingly poignant take on AI, and emergent properties from design. The Moon Song, though done very well should have had a guitar not a uke. 

• Photon
  • Needs a Life
  • I interfere with myself

Reply #21
There's a growing list of movies that I'm appreciating Scarlett Johannsen's acting prowess too. And in Her, you only get her voice.

Reply #22
Just watched American Beauty for the first time, I seem to have kept avoiding it for some reason. Really great film, surprised me actually.
Among Kevin spaceys best I think.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #23
Deadpool.

Not a big fan of comicbook superhero movies but this was very well done. 

It was ok

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #24
There's a growing list of movies that I'm appreciating Scarlett Johannsen's acting prowess too. And in Her, you only get her voice.

Under the skin is awesome

So is Lost in translation