Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Smarter than your average bear (Read 313 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smarter than your average bear
Reply #25
But I want to be friends with all of the bears, borealis.
Have you not seen/heard how that nearly always ends? :staregonk:

You might get away with being friends with a Nova Scotia black bear. The last time anyone was injured by one was in 1834, they are very shy though.

You might like to read Marion Engel's novel though :unsure:  :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_%28novel%29

Reply #26
:ohmy:

Reply #27
Required reading in many Canadian English lit courses.

Not as shocking as the plot makes it sound.

Or maybe it is, I'm a Canadian though, so... :raise:

We have this... relationship... with the wilderness. Though not always quite so frankly expressed. :stuckup:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #28
But I want to be friends with all of the bears, borealis.
Have you not seen/heard how that nearly always ends? :staregonk:

It ends well, goddammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yzy7Ajxn7Q

There's hot tub beers:

And picnics:

And Thanksgiving dinners:

And football:

And BIRTHDAY PARTIES!:

You might like to read Marion Engel's novel though :unsure:  :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_%28novel%29

:staregonk:

what is wrong with you people

Reply #29
I don't know, but it's been a thing for a long time.

• ffejrxx

Reply #30

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #31
My family was camping in Banff National Park and my father, brother and I went to the salt lick in the evening to see some deer (this in the '80s when planting salt licks was legal).  We left the campground to my mother to clean up, all the food out.

Well, a mother black bear and two cubs wandered into camp (and my mother sauntered out quickly).  After returning to the site we found the english muffins, butter and honey had disappeared.

Bears know what they want to eat.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #32
Bears know what they want to eat.

Indeed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/07/10/teen-camper-wakes-up-to-crunching-noise-and-discovers-his-head-is-inside-bears-mouth/

Asleep in the mountains northwest of Boulder, Colo., a teenage camp counselor was awakened Sunday morning by a loud crunching sound.

The noise was the sound of large teeth scraping against his skull, he told Denver ABC-affiliate KMGH. A black bear, the teen realized, was trying to pull him out of his sleeping bag by his head.

"It grabbed me like this and pulled me, and then it bit the back of my head and dragged me," the teen, identified only by his first name, Dylan, told KMGH. "When it was dragging me, that was the slowest part. It felt like it went forever."

Fellow staffers and campers were roused by the commotion and tried to scare the bear away as Dylan fought back. The bear dragged Dylan about 10 feet, then dropped him and walked away.

Reply #33

Reply #34
though I live on a sharky continent, for me bears are much more terrifying

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #35
paging bro D
braying among the ruins

Reply #36

Reply #37
I've encountered black bears several times in my life. It's always resulted in a mutual "Aaauuuughhhhh!!!" moment followed by both of us making a hasty retreat.

All of these encounters have occurred in berry patches.

• nesb
  • Needs a Life

Reply #38
The podcast Invisibilia recently ran an episode on a movement to hand feed and chill with black bears in some small town somewhere. The residents who didn't like overly friendly bears hanging out around their property got in a tussle with the bear lovers, and stuff went down.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #39
It is a bad idea to feed and chill with bears and allow them to become comfortable around people's houses.

But liking bad ideas is what being American is all about. :911:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #40

Reply #41
Oh good. Among all the horrid things people do to animals, keeping wounded suffering bears to extract their bile has to be one of the worst.

Reply #42

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #43
Those photos are awesome, but the one you posted is the best of the bunch. :mason:

Reply #44
I thought so. It's the one that best suggests both his size and the remoteness of his habitat.

Also is pretty.  :yes:

Reply #45
If you ever find yourself in very Northern Minnesota near a small town called Orr, there is a wonderful bear sanctuary nearby where you can watch black bears.    Food is put out in the late afternoon (4pm) and you are on a raised deck.    Black bears come ambling in - young bears, and mother bears with their cubs.   The cubs are sent up high in the trees.     One young bear climbed up a tree onto a branch that overhung where we were standing.    I literally had a bear 2 feet over my head.      If I had a picture of it from a camera (it is still in my head), I'd post it.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #46
If you ever find yourself in very Northern Minnesota near a small town called Orr, there is a wonderful bear sanctuary nearby where you can watch black bears.    Food is put out in the late afternoon (4pm) and you are on a raised deck.    Black bears come ambling in - young bears, and mother bears with their cubs.  The cubs are sent up high in the trees.    One young bear climbed up a tree onto a branch that overhung where we were standing.    I literally had a bear 2 feet over my head.      If I had a picture of it from a camera (it is still in my head), I'd post it.
Bear Pervert, obviously.
Are we there yet?

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #47
It is a bad idea to feed and chill with bears and allow them to become comfortable around people's houses.
The same is true for deer.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• nesb
  • Needs a Life

Reply #48
Deer dgaf. They'll just wander through people's yards willy-nilly, without a salt lick within a hundred miles.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #49
They'll just wander through people's yards willy-nilly
Not where you are "allowed" to hunt them.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭