Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: is that sumfink from the bible?

Topic: Greeks? Pah! How 'bout them Babylonians? (Read 133 times) previous topic - next topic

• JonF
Greeks? Pah! How 'bout them Babylonians?
Mathematical mystery of ancient Babylonian clay tablet solved

UNSW Sydney scientists have discovered the purpose of a famous 3700-year old Babylonian clay tablet, revealing it is the world's oldest and most accurate trigonometric table, possibly used by ancient mathematical scribes to calculate how to construct palaces and temples and build canals.

The new research shows the Babylonians beat the Greeks to the invention of trigonometry - the study of triangles - by more than 1000 years, and reveals an ancient mathematical sophistication that had been hidden until now.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• Faid
Re: Greeks? Pah! How 'bout them Babylonians?
Reply #1
:whyyou:
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
There's still a Greece, though, I don't see any place called Babylon these days. :D

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #3
There's still a Greece, though, I don't see any place called Babylon these days. :D
Manipulative Bitch!!
Are we there yet?

Reply #4
This research isn't conclusive, just as a wet blanket comment. There isn't enough of the tablet to be sure. Still, very cool.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Monad
Reply #5
Not a mathematician but is this saying the Babylonians didn't just invent trig but actually had a completely different way of thinking about numbers and bases and one that might actually be better at handling complex calculations? That would be cool, I'm wondering if it would lead to new ways of thinking outside classical number systems?

Reply #6
Not a mathematician but is this saying the Babylonians didn't just invent trig but actually had a completely different way of thinking about numbers and bases and one that might actually be better at handling complex calculations? That would be cool, I'm wondering if it would lead to new ways of thinking outside classical number systems?
base 60 is way better than base 10 for most math that involves ratios. I continued to use points and picas for at least fifteen years after design had moved to computers. I still think in base 12 for a lot of ratio related things. 
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #7
No. It simply suggests totally forgotten (for good reason) some ancient numbering system was forgotten and nobody other than a few weirdos care, was possibly found out.

So fuck you with your 60 base. Hell, you can't even count to 10. How are you ever going to make it to 60?
Are we there yet?

• Faid
Reply #8
Well, dave and his ilk believe that the Antichrist will build a New Babylon where the old one was, and make it capital of the world, so...
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.