Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• There is also beauty in the flux of interesting times.

Topic: 1.5 Million penguin colony discovered (Read 457 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
1.5 Million penguin colony discovered
This is amazing, go read.

Huge "mega-colonies" of penguins have been discovered near the Antarctic peninsula, hosting more than 1.5 million birds. Researchers say it shows the area is a vital refuge from climate change and human activities and should be protected by a vast new marine wildlife reserve currently under consideration.

The huge numbers of Adélie penguins were found on the Danger Islands in the Weddell Sea, on the east side of the Antarctic Peninsula. It is a difficult place to reach and has seldom been visited. But scientists, prompted by satellite images, mounted an expedition and used on-the-ground counts and aerial photography from drones to reveal 751,527 pairs of penguins.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/02/mega-colonies-of-15-million-penguins-discovered-in-antarctica

• Faid
Re: 1.5 Million penguin colony discovered
Reply #1
Yes but do they dance
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
A very exotic secret dance; if you see it, the penguins have to kill you.  :sadyes:

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #3

The number of Adélie penguins living in East Antarctica may be double what scientists previously thought.

New data collected by researchers at the University of Adelaide in Australia estimates the population number at nearly six million--almost four million higher than previous estimates.

Until this most recent study, scientists drew their estimates by counting breeding pairs. However, this means previous counts missed non-breeding penguins.
PUBLISHED MARCH 15, 2017
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/adelie-penguin-population-antarctica/
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• uncool
Reply #4
"751,527" what

how do they have that precision

fake eta: looked in the article, ffs science journalists and science writers learn how to write numbers. "95th CI = [710,103-792,443]" means you should only include the first digit anywhere you don't talk about the confidence interval.

Still, wow.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #5
A very exotic secret dance; if you see it, the penguins have to kill you.  :sadyes:
Penguins do "exotic dancing"? Ok, so what do they take off then?

(It is a cool discovery though)

(The colony, not the exotic dancing)
Truth is out of style

• grit
  • redolent needling balm
Reply #6
They must certainly be planning something.

Cherry-Garrard noted: "They are extraordinarily like children, these little people of the Antarctic world, either like children or like old men, full of their own importance."

• Monad
Reply #7
Penguins do "exotic dancing"? Ok, so what do they take off then?

It's a pole dance

• MSG
Reply #8
nostrum would be proud of that joke
braying among the ruins