Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• There is also beauty in the flux of interesting times.

Topic: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition (Read 4284 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: We could use a Police Abuse sticky - Part 3 - Zombie Edition
Reply #50
Walsh, a former tea party congressman from Illinois and now a conservative talk radio host, tweeted in the wake of the Dallas shootings, "3 Dallas Cops killed, 7 wounded. This is now war. Watch out Obama. Watch out black lives matter punks. Real America is coming after you."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/politics/joe-walsh-obama-war-tweet/

:911:
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #51
Genius.
Truth is out of style

Reply #52
Innit?

Reply #53
Shit scrolling my FB feed. I cannot attest to its veracity. I post; you decide
I thought maybe you got it from the post 4 posts above yours.

lol

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #54
Testy hasn't realized how deeply I read this forum yet

Reply #55
It doesn't seem like the type of thing I'd realize.

• Bilirubin
Reply #56
I'm glad we have this all sorted

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #57
"I guess it was our turn in the barrel"

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/07/11/reports-shots-fired-berrien-county-courthouse-st-joseph/86953034/

Two bailiffs and the shooter killed, one police officer injured, and several folks who had business at the courthouse today sent to the hospital with unspecified injuries.

No word yet on what this was about.

• MikeS
Reply #58
More open carry in the court house laws please.

• Bilirubin
Reply #59
"I guess it was our turn in the barrel"

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/07/11/reports-shots-fired-berrien-county-courthouse-st-joseph/86953034/

Two bailiffs and the shooter killed, one police officer injured, and several folks who had business at the courthouse today sent to the hospital with unspecified injuries.

No word yet on what this was about.
It was an attempted prison break

Reply #60

• ffejrxx
Reply #61
puppy lives matter

Reply #62

• Bilirubin
Reply #63

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #64

Reply #65
Jesus Christ the violence in the system. In a very weird way these past couple of years of videos have been cathartic to me. It's almost like I've been validated for what I've been thinking for years that no one has been willing to talk about. People I know are almost entirely of the classes that believe police protect them. It's not for lack of being articulate, but rather for the ability of others to dismiss the issue as one that affects others and then to conveniently blame those others for their defects which clearly resulted in their problems with cops.

When I tell my stories, I've always gotten excuses, 'some mistakes have terrible consequences', 'well, you were a homeless kid with long hair, what did you expect?', 'you don't know what those cops see every day', 'yeah, that sucks but we need cops', and on and on. And it's clear the whole time that it's not only not ok, but it doesn't need to be that way, that cops are how we deal with throwaway people without needing to confront the fact that we are condoning the notion of throwaway people and enabling the violence in the system because it seems to be working for us.

To leave the Omelas one has to leave society itself. But it doesn't need to work the way it does. I really have no sympathy whatsoever for cops troubles, they brought it on themselves and karma's a bitch, but outside their role as violators, they are still human. And now the war they've been fighting is blowing up in their faces and Charlton Heston is the only shoulder there to lean on.

This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. The effort spent trying to justify unjustifiable injustice could be spent cutting the thin blue line and reworking the justice system to function with a less punitive philosophy and we would be moving towards where we will end up anyway if we don't fall into Marshall law in the meantime.

Gah.
https://youtu.be/ZrihKt2PwBI

Reply #66

Reply #67
So what is the problem with these cops then; they don't screen potential officers for being power hungry or narcissist?
It seems a lot of problems can happen when the cop is on a power trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k73ugJWd7w8

• ksen
Reply #68
So what is the problem with these cops then; they don't screen potential officers for being power hungry or narcissist?
It seems a lot of problems can happen when the cop is on a power trip.

They do screen for that.  But they're not trying to screen it out they're trying to screen it in.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #69
'you don't know what those cops see every day'

I really hate this stupid ass argument. The vast majority of cops will never even draw their gun and shoot at a suspect in the course of their entire career. The vast majority of cops who die on the job die from accidents, mostly auto. Police isn't even in the top 10 of most dangerous professions. A fucking pilot is more likely to die on the job than a police officer. The average cop is not some beat cop wrestling crack addicts in Camden, NJ and watching horrors unfold before their very eyes on a daily basis. It's especially annoying when people who live in fucking suburbia trot out this line. Yes, they see such horrible things all day long as they're pulling people over for speeding and sitting at a desk doing paperwork!  :ohmy:

People who work in emergency rooms see horrible shit every day and are probably under a lot more stress than your average fucking cop. They see death with every goddamn shift. I guess that means it's okay for them to flip their shit and abuse innocent people because, hey, you just don't understand how stressful it is, man.

• MikeS
Reply #70
The only caveat I can apply is that cops, like social workers, are seeing the desperate side of humanity much more than the "average" person.  But like an ER worker, it comes with the job.  If you can't approach the situations dispassionately where appropriate and passionately where needed then you really shouldn't be in the job.

"The Thin Blue Line" shit just reinforces the misapplication of "To Protect and To Serve"; where the cops are the ones to protect and they should serve themselves first.

Reply #71
'you don't know what those cops see every day'

I really hate this stupid ass argument. The vast majority of cops will never even draw their gun and shoot at a suspect in the course of their entire career. The vast majority of cops who die on the job die from accidents, mostly auto. Police isn't even in the top 10 of most dangerous professions. A fucking pilot is more likely to die on the job than a police officer. The average cop is not some beat cop wrestling crack addicts in Camden, NJ and watching horrors unfold before their very eyes on a daily basis. It's especially annoying when people who live in fucking suburbia trot out this line. Yes, they see such horrible things all day long as they're pulling people over for speeding and sitting at a desk doing paperwork!  :ohmy:

People who work in emergency rooms see horrible shit every day and are probably under a lot more stress than your average fucking cop. They see death with every goddamn shift. I guess that means it's okay for them to flip their shit and abuse innocent people because, hey, you just don't understand how stressful it is, man.
that's changing. Their job is getting significantly more dangerous.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #72
The only caveat I can apply is that cops, like social workers, are seeing the desperate side of humanity much more than the "average" person.  But like an ER worker, it comes with the job.  If you can't approach the situations dispassionately where appropriate and passionately where needed then you really shouldn't be in the job.

"The Thin Blue Line" shit just reinforces the misapplication of "To Protect and To Serve"; where the cops are the ones to protect and they should serve themselves first.

Yeah, but among cops, the more common reaction to seeing the desperate in society is to make them out to be the enemy.  Brutality is easy when your job expects you to consider those people garbage who need to be taught a lesson. But it's excused because, golly, they just had to blow off a little steam because they're so stressed!

that's changing. Their job is getting significantly more dangerous.

That's the impression you'd get from the news, but I haven't really seen any numbers to that effect. I wouldn't be surprised if someone were able to show a real, measurable change in how much people trust the police, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a significant increase in injuries and deaths on a widespread level. What happened in Dallas and Baton Rouge is not a daily reality for cops across America.

Reply #73
I'm saying that I expect that number to go up.

Reply #74