Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• "il y a une chance que" generally calls for the subjunctive, so could someone please chance "peut" to "puissiez"? Failing that, at least change it to "pouvez" so it doesn't scream  "TalkRational: a republic of illiteracy" to the world.

Topic: Winds of Winter (Read 253 times) previous topic - next topic

• ksen
Winds of Winter
I just read on some dubious websites that Winds of Winter is in the proofreading stage and may be released by January 2017.  The other date I've heard is after season 7 but before season 8.

The other rumor is that Winds of Winter will be the last book.  :staregonk:

Re: Winds of Winter
Reply #1
I saw that rumor about it being the last book.  It seems dumb.

• ksen
Reply #2
Yeah, but I almost wouldn't blame him if he just said, "fuck you guys for giving me shit all the time.  This is the last one."

Then he can have fun doing what he likes more than writing these books: going to conventions, his movie theater and other writing projects.

I've had fun running him down here but people have been pretty brutal to his face about not finishing faster.

• ksen
Reply #3
Update:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/may/12/george-rr-martin-has-a-duty-to-get-on-with-the-winds-of-winter

George RR Martin is, as Neil Gaiman famously once opined, not your bitch.

It is eight years to the day since Gaiman wrote this to a fan on his website who had asked whether it was fair to feel that Martin was "letting him down" by taking so long to publish the later volumes in his A Song of Ice and Fire series. That was in 2009, meaning that that fan had another two long years ahead before he'd get his hands on the fifth book, A Dance With Dragons. If that chap was feeling let down then his disappointment must be through the roof now, six years later, still waiting for the next book, The Winds of Winter.

Still, writing books isn't digging ditches. The creative spark cannot be harnessed and utilised like electricity, always available at the flick of a switch. George RR Martin is not your bitch.

But.

While Gaiman's comment still holds, won't somebody think of the fans? The culture of entitlement, where fans expect writers to be chained to their desks is one thing. On the other hand, six years is a hell of a long wait between series books.

And fans of the books have four new reasons to gnash their teeth: HBO has announced four Game of Thrones spin-off TV shows, all with Martin's involvement. With the announcement came some quiet rumblings at that last detail. After all, if Martin is focused on developing four new shows, The Winds of Winter could slip back even further.

Didn't Martin say he was putting everything else off to finish WoW?

I guess he changed his mind . . . unless it's just about done so he feels he has time for these other projects?

I am intrigued by what the spin off shows might be though.

Reply #4
I'm sure one will be a Dunc and Egg one, which will be based on a bunch of short stories Martin has already written.
Why do I bother?

• ksen
Reply #5

Reply #6
i can't imagine that there would be any incentive whatsoever for not releasing winds of winter if it was already completed.

• nesb
Reply #7
Pure spite.

• ksen
Reply #8
I've heard the fan theory that Tyrion Lannister may also have Targaryan blood.  I've always dismissed it as kind of silly to have so many potential other Targaryen's out there beyond Dany, Viserys, Jon and Griff (if griff is really a Targaryen and not just some kid picked at birth to play one).

But I started rereading the first book and when Jon Snow leaves the banquet at the beginning and meets Tyrion in the courtyard Tyrion is described as having hair that more closely matches the hair of Viserys and Dany as opposed to Cersei and Jaime.  Cersei and Jaime's hair is described as looking like beaten gold while Viserys and Dany are described as having hair so blonde it was almost white.  Tyrion's hair in that scene is also described as being white-blonde.

Hair color has been important in other areas of the series like in distinguishing whether a child was really a Baratheon or not.  Could it be that it's important here too and that's another reason why Tywin detested Tyrion because he was a reminder of Tywin's wife's infidelity?

It could also explain why, in the tv series, Tyrion didn't immediately get eaten by the dragon's when he went to visit them in their prison.

• ksen
Reply #9
Oh, and I was just thinking . . . only Jon has black hair and it's looking like he also has Targaryen blood.  Could hair color also be indicative of which house is more powerful?  Stark blood was able to overpower Targaryen blood in this case?

I don't know.  I'm way too excited for the show to start back up.

• ksen
Reply #10
Any theories/mysteries in the series you're hoping get proven out/solved?

I'd also like to know what's up with Winterfell and why, exactly, the crypts stay so cold when the rest of Winterfell is heated by the underground springs.

Is there a dragon under Winterfell?

Is there a Great Other imprisoned somewhere in the crypts?

I've read that maybe the Night King's woman is being kept there.

Why must there always be a Stark in Winterfell?  Is it just a saying?

"The North remembers" . . . the North remembers what?

Reply #11
Tywin's primary reason for disliking Tyrion was he reminded him of his own weak father. In fact, Tyrion being Tywin's own offspring would probably make it even worse.

Reply #12
Jon is gonna drop the ring of power down a volcano and both danaerys and the others will explode in a burst of flame and the eagles will rescue Sam and baby Sam and then Jon will sail west to the grey lands. then the lion of casterly rock will come back to life and save the souls of all the children except Circe who obviously cares too much about her appearance, and she'll be left in the real world while all her siblings are gonna die in a train crash but live on in narnia forever.

Reply #13
also bran is gonna take a mad dose of DMZ and become a tennis genius but be unable to express himself through any symbolic language

Reply #14
after that, Sam is gonna hack the weirwood tree network using a stolen dornish program and unite the Others and the children of the forest into a true artificial intelligence despite the efforts of the faceless men to keep this from happening, but then this new intelligence will fracture into a bajillion minor deities upon discovering an intelligence like itself from the Wild Cards universe.

Reply #15
That's awesome
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #16
well, that's before Theon goes into the crypts beneath winterfell and discovers that it is an endless maze of shifting passageways where the laws of physics no longer apply. The deeper and deeper he goes, the more convoluted the text will get, until he is drawn back out by his love for Sansa. That will all be written about by a blind maester, but the text itself will be part of a Tyrion perspective chapter where he's fantasizing about whores.

Reply #17
Meanwhile Jaime is gonna bum around Dorne being upset that Cersei is banging moonboy, then he's gonna go watch Clegane Bowl, and afterwards Moon Boy is gonna wail on Sandor Clegane for banging Cersei, and when Cersei tries to make it up to Jaime he's going to be stand-offish and sexist.

Reply #18
Also LSH will finally die and all the remaining Stark children are going to have to transport her body back to the North to be buried. Rickard (who is not dead in the books) will become convinced that his mother is now a giant catfish and have a mental breakdown.

Reply #19
I can do this all day.

Reply #20
Also at the end the Others will freeze the sea solid with a new type of ice. So it goes.

Reply #21
So it goes.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #22
I've heard the fan theory that Tyrion Lannister may also have Targaryan blood.  I've always dismissed it as kind of silly to have so many potential other Targaryen's out there beyond Dany, Viserys, Jon and Griff (if griff is really a Targaryen and not just some kid picked at birth to play one).

But I started rereading the first book and when Jon Snow leaves the banquet at the beginning and meets Tyrion in the courtyard Tyrion is described as having hair that more closely matches the hair of Viserys and Dany as opposed to Cersei and Jaime.  Cersei and Jaime's hair is described as looking like beaten gold while Viserys and Dany are described as having hair so blonde it was almost white.  Tyrion's hair in that scene is also described as being white-blonde.

Hair color has been important in other areas of the series like in distinguishing whether a child was really a Baratheon or not.  Could it be that it's important here too and that's another reason why Tywin detested Tyrion because he was a reminder of Tywin's wife's infidelity?

It could also explain why, in the tv series, Tyrion didn't immediately get eaten by the dragon's when he went to visit them in their prison.

welcome to 20 years ago

• ksen
Reply #23
Thanks! :hug:

Reply #24
actually Rickon is going to be stranded on an island with a bunch of other kids, then they're going to start learning how to hunt boars, and then shit is going to get really messy and a few of them are gonna get killed because humanity is fucking awful.