Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss (Read 714 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Re: Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss
Reply #25
I have never watched ep. 1.  :stuckup:

Re: Planning to make myself sit through Star Wars out of respect for the princesss
Reply #26
The only thing redeemable about episode 1 is the lightsaber battle.  Maybe the pod race for technical achievement.

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #27
Yes the fight was pretty good, I felt the fights in the first 3 were fairly tame but that is by todays standards, people expect more action and jumping round now

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #28
OK watched the first one. It is a bloody mess of a film, Jar Jar Binks is embarrassing but tbh that's nowhere near as bad as a plot that relies on a kid accidentally piloting a ship into space and whoops accidentally pressing the wrong buttons and whoops accidentally blowing up a space station that just happened to be powering the droid army. What a joke!
Never forget . . . Jar Jar did nothing wrong.

Also:

Some 'Star Wars' fans think Jar Jar Binks is a secret Sith Lord

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #29
Surprisingly I enjoyed Attack of the Clones  :reign:  Putting aside the incongruity of Anakin being a kid in one then a grown man but seeming the same age as Padma in 2 it was a good movie and I've got to admire the smooth double game strategy of Sidious (although he is making the others seem incredibly dumb). Also I didn't realise how beautiful Natalie Portman could be - she took my breath away in a few scenes.

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #30
Revenge of the Sith - not as good as the second (this seems to be a theme, the second in the first series is also the best) but not as bad as I feared (although Lukas can't seem to resist adding something cutesy - this time it was the droids in the first battle).

Sad, tragic really.

Time scales are a bit weird though - I assumed at the start of the series that the Emperors greenish state was just the result of him ageing while soaking up the dark force (turning him outside as corrupt as he was inside) but in ROTS it's revealed he was scarred during his battle with Windu. But then at the end we see him watching a Death Star being constructed only it's just coming online when Luke and Leia are grownups - I can't believe it would take so long to construct give the second one just took a couple of years.
  • Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:51:12 PM by Monad

Reply #31
Revenge of the Sith - not as good as the second (this seems to be a theme, the second in the first series is also the best) but not as bad as I feared (although Lukas can't seem to resist adding something cutesy - this time it was the droids in the first battle).

Sad, tragic really.

Time scales are a bit weird though - I assumed at the start of the series that the Emperors greenish state was just the result of him ageing while soaking up the dark force (turning him outside as corrupt as he was inside) but in ROTS it's revealed he was scarred during his battle with Windu. But then at the end we see him watching a Death Star being constructed only it's just coming online when Luke and Leia are grownups - I can't believe it would take so long to construct give the second one just took a couple of years.

The in-universe reasoning is that it took 18 years to develop the Death Star super weapon aspect. The physical structure was built much faster. And once the super weapon technology was figured out, the Empire could build a 2nd Death Star much faster. And iirc the 2nd one was being built in secret and started much earlier than we see in ROTJ.

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #32
OK I guess that makes sense

Onto the sequels next weekend

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #33
Trying to buy The Force Awakens at Amazon is a bit more complicated than I thought - so many different editions? I don't want 3D, I do want deleted scenes.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #34
SteelBook with Bonus Content is only a couple bucks more than the regular DVD Blu-Ray. 

• Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:16:07 AM by SkepticTank

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #35
Watched it just now - that was so good!!

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #36
I'm really going to have to suffer the prequels to get to the sequels I suppose
Don't do it. Just watch Rogue One. Seriously.

ETA: ohshit too late
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #37
I still haven't seen Rogue One. 

Reply #38
it's pretty good.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Monad
  • Needs a Life

Reply #39

Sad, tragic really.

The in-universe reasoning is that it took 18 years to develop the Death Star super weapon aspect. The physical structure was built much faster. And once the super weapon technology was figured out, the Empire could build a 2nd Death Star much faster. And iirc the 2nd one was being built in secret and started much earlier than we see in ROTJ.

Rogue One seems to have answered most of my questions about this, cleverly fills in a lot of the gaps between the two story arcs. Really enjoyed it, probably the only Star Wars film with a sense of humour, but also sad and powerful. More than any of the other films you get a real impression of the heroism of the rebels, and also the complexity of rebellion; that it isn't always about being 'heroic' but also making tough choices and how such conflicts change people on both sides.
  • Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:21:07 AM by Monad

• Bilirubin
  • Needs a Life
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'

Reply #40
See if my observation holds out.  The only "good" parts of the prequels are the second half of the third movie.

Otherwise,  :barf:
And the Genosian Arena battle

• Bilirubin
  • Needs a Life

Reply #41
Also I didn't realise how beautiful Natalie Portman could be - she took my breath away in a few scenes.
Go rent Black Swan

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #42
pervert

Reply #43
pervert

rep0rt3d

I don't think that rogue1 necessarily filled plot holes as much as it gave something substantial  to sw7 as a springboard for rey to make her debut. 

I loved it

Reply #44
Me too. Hi diva
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #45

Reply #46
See if my observation holds out.  The only "good" parts of the prequels are the second half of the third movie.

Pod race is pretty great along with the Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Darth Maul fight bits of the Ep1 ending.

• Bilirubin
  • Needs a Life

Reply #47

Pod race is pretty great along with the Qui Gon, Obi Wan, Darth Maul fight bits of the Ep1 ending.
I'll give you the Darth Maul fight.
pervert

rep0rt3d

I don't think that rogue1 necessarily filled plot holes as much as it gave something substantial  to sw7 as a springboard for rey to make her debut. 

I loved it

Glad you decided to post since you are representing TR :D