Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: The Dog Thread (Read 1511 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Dog Thread
Reply #50
Get chickens, then you have two reasons to go to feed store.

Pet food is cheaper at the feed stores here also. Interesting.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #51
amazon is considerably cheaper than petsmart in my area.  I think there's a feed store about 12 miles from my town.  I guess I should check that out, but I rather like not having to make a special trip for pet food.

Definitely check it out.

Here is what I buy.  About $35 + tax locally for a 40 lb. bag.
$61 on Amazon Prime, other options are $35-$45 but something like $20 for shipping.
$42 on Chewy, free shipping if you spend over $50.

Reply #52
Thread needs more dog gifs

Reply #53
Diamond brand lamb and rice. I buy it at the feed store.
https://g.co/kgs/HPxqBF
I also go to the feed store.  I buy Victor brand.  It was pretty highly rated by dogfoodadviser and reasonably priced.

The shipping costs kill the price on Amazon.  Check Chewy.com free shipping if your total is over $50.

Shipping has been free on Amazon.

Yeah, but they mark up the price of the product to cover the costs.  My food is like $20/bag more expensive on Amazon than at the food store if it's Free shipping / Prime.  It's within a few bucks if it doesn't come with free shipping, but then the shipping adds a lot to the cost.

Seriously, premium dog food at the feed store is a lot cheaper than the heavily marketed brands at PetSmart.
same. Feed store is almost $20 less.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #54
must be nice to have a local feed store.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #55
Get chickens, then you have two reasons to go to feed store.

Pet food is cheaper at the feed stores here also. Interesting.

Pet food  has to pay for shelf space in the big box pet stores, chain grocery stores, and Walmarts.  So you see shit like Alpo, Iams and Purina who put way more money into marketing than into a quality product.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #56
must be nice to have a local feed store.

The closest one is 18 miles from my house, but it's not too far from downtown and only 7 miles from my daughter's school.  I buy two bags and it lasts me about a month.  I plan for that one trip when I'm in the area for something else.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #57
Iams can be decent quality, and Purina's ProPlan line is great. There are a lot of misconceptions about pet food, and the brands that are basically pure marketing are the ones with pictures of wolves and appeals to nature, raw, organic, or any of that other bullshit.

Reply #58
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #59
When I lived in Tucson, there was a non-chain pet store that carried good quality dog food.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #60
Iams can be decent quality, and Purina's ProPlan line is great. There are a lot of misconceptions about pet food, and the brands that are basically pure marketing are the ones with pictures of wolves and appeals to nature, raw, organic, or any of that other bullshit.

dogfoodadvisor doesn't think much of them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-sport/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/iams-proactive-health-adult/

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #61

dogfoodadvisor doesn't think much of them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-sport/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/iams-proactive-health-adult/

you're right, I should listen to dogfoodadvisor dot com and not the doctors and boarded nutritionists who've taught me so far

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #62
Appeal to authority.  They give their rationale.

Actually at least with Iams, there is a huge spread based on the specific food.

ProActive Health Adult Large Breed (3 stars)
ProActive Health Smart Puppy Original (4 stars)
ProActive Health Adult Optimal Weight (2.5 stars)
ProActive Health Adult Lamb Meal and Rice (3 stars)
ProActive Health Adult Small and Toy Breed (4 stars)
ProActive Health Adult Optimal Weight Large Breed (3 stars)
ProActive Health Mature Adult Small and Toy Breed (4 stars)
ProActive Health Smart Puppy Small and Toy Breed (4 stars)

Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult Small Breed (2.5 stars)
Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind Adult Chicken and Rice (2.5 stars)

Ask your boarded nutritionists what they think of this critique.

The first ingredient in this dog food is chicken. Although it is a quality item, raw chicken contains about 80% water. After cooking, most of that moisture is lost, reducing the meat content to just a fraction of its original weight.
After processing, this item would probably account for a smaller part of the total content of the finished product.
The second ingredient is poultry by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It's made from what's left of slaughtered poultry after all the prime cuts have been removed.
In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything -- feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs -- anything except quality skeletal muscle (real meat).
We consider poultry by-products slightly lower in quality than a single-species ingredient (like chicken by-products).
On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh poultry.
The third ingredient is brewers rice. Brewers rice is a cereal grain by-product consisting of the small fragments left over after milling whole rice. Aside from the caloric energy it contains, this item is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.
The fourth ingredient is corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. And aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.
For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food.
The fifth ingredient is wheat. Wheat is another cereal grain and subject to the same issues as corn (previously discussed).
The sixth ingredient is corn gluten meal. Gluten is the rubbery residue remaining once corn has had most of its starchy carbohydrate washed out of it.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #63
Appeal to authority.

Yes, insofar as trusting what I hear from people who do this for a living over what I read on the internet is an appeal to authority.

I'm in the middle of finals and don't have the energy to go into too much detail, but here:
Ask your boarded nutritionists what they think of this critique.

The first ingredient in this dog food is chicken. Although it is a quality item, raw chicken contains about 80% water. After cooking, most of that moisture is lost, reducing the meat content to just a fraction of its original weight.
After processing, this item would probably account for a smaller part of the total content of the finished product.
The second ingredient is poultry by-product meal, a dry rendered product of slaughterhouse waste. It's made from what's left of slaughtered poultry after all the prime cuts have been removed.
In addition to organs (the nourishing part), this stuff can contain almost anything -- feet, beaks, undeveloped eggs -- anything except quality skeletal muscle (real meat).
We consider poultry by-products slightly lower in quality than a single-species ingredient (like chicken by-products).
On the brighter side, by-product meals are meat concentrates and contain nearly 300% more protein than fresh poultry.
The third ingredient is brewers rice. Brewers rice is a cereal grain by-product consisting of the small fragments left over after milling whole rice. Aside from the caloric energy it contains, this item is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.
The fourth ingredient is corn. Corn is an inexpensive and controversial cereal grain. And aside from its energy content, this grain is of only modest nutritional value to a dog.
For this reason, we do not consider corn a preferred component in any dog food.
The fifth ingredient is wheat. Wheat is another cereal grain and subject to the same issues as corn (previously discussed).
The sixth ingredient is corn gluten meal. Gluten is the rubbery residue remaining once corn has had most of its starchy carbohydrate washed out of it.

It's true that unprocessed ingredients like whole chicken are mostly water, so even though they appear first in the ingredient list, they may only account for a small amount of the protein in the diet because it's listed by weight. By-product meal is an excellent source of nutrients. It doesn't make sense to consider it lower quality than skeletal muscle.

Corn is not controversial and is not "of only modest" nutritional value to a dog. This is a common myth. Corn gluten meal in particular has a similar protein level and digestibility compared to chicken meat, but with a lower fat content and more fiber. Wheat is also not controversial and provides some amino acids and fiber.

Overall, focusing on ingredients and not nutrient content is not the best way to do it, and metabolizable energy %s are useful, though not all companies make that information available to the consumer. And I care much more about shit like AAFCO feeding trials than the precise list of ingredients.

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #64
Lucky bastards.

Our princess would rather starve than eat dog food. Subsists on table scraps and the barest minimum of the one brand of dry food she will touch if desperate.

At least  we don't have to worry about her getting fat.
It's what plants crave.

Reply #65
My grandparents had a dog - it looked like a medium sized white spitz when young, probably about a 20kg dog. There are two photos of my mother, 14 years old, in 1941, with the dog, It died in 1962, at least 21 years old. By the time I was old enough to remember the dog it no longer resembled a spitz or really even a dog. It had almost no fur, just thinly haired leathery grey skin covered with numerous bumps and warts, sagging over a barrel shaped body. None of that seemed to bother him - he lay on the couch every evening with my grandfather and spent his days wandering around the farm, friendly and content. Buddy ate whatever the family was eating. He had his own food bowl, a large chipped china porridge plate, and had the same high fat, heavy on meat and bread and butter and lard diet as the family. That diet killed my grandfather at 66, but Buddy seems to have thrived on it - other than the hair thing.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #66
wrong account, Rache.

Reply #67
Nah - I didn't include real names, ages, relationship status, town names, jobs held, health stats and past scandals of all the people involved.

ETA: plus recent photos.

Reply #68
I feed Hill's. The doctors I worked with would regularly recommend Hill's, Purina ProPlan, Royal Canin, Eukanuba, and pretty much any mid-range, mid-shelf food. The cheaper ones are iffier quality, and the more expensive ones are full of marketing gimmicks that don't do anything useful.

I feed Hill's because they're one of the companies that actually does AAFCO feeding trials, which is a higher standard to meet than nutritional analysis. If you look on the bag, it'll either say that the food has been formulated to meet AAFCO standards, which means that they've done a lab analysis after processing to make sure they meet the minimums/maximums, or that it's been shown by feeding trials to meet nutritional needs.

I also especially hate Blue Buffalo as a company. Some pets do okay on their food, but so many have GI problems. I used to feed it to my cats before I started working in the vet industry, and Rosemary would get this weird occasional GI upset with grey stool that sometimes would have frank blood. We could never find any cause for it, but as soon as I switched to Hill's, it went away. The shit they throw in there like the blueberries for the "antioxidants" are pure marketing tools, but those extra ingredients make the food rich and more difficult to digest, and the feed tends to be so much more calorically dense that lots of pets get fat on it. The brand has been all about selling a certain idea/style: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-07-24/blue-buffalo-vs-dot-purina-in-dog-food-fight-over-nutrition-claims

Initial report on Hill's lamb and rice.

The kibble bits are huge compared to the other dog food brands we've tried.  I had to check and be sure we didn't get something for large breeds.

Pippin doesn't mind huge kibble bits at all.

He eats until he cleans the bowl.  This is something he's never done in the 1.5 years we've had him.  He usually takes 6 to 8 hours of futzing around before he's done with a serving. 

Last night, I (as usual) put his next-day serving in his bowl just before I went to bed.  He pays no attention to the food until mid-morning, 99.9% of the time.  Given his earlier enthusiasm, I thought this might be a bad idea, but I confess I was curious.  He got up out of his bed (where he was down for the night) and ate an entire cup of kibble in one go.

Last time I put tomorrow's first meal down at bedtime.

Pippin has always been a snack-around eater.  He doesn't care if one of the cats eats from his bowl.  I'm going to watch carefully for a bit to be sure he isn't more protective of the food.

I'm curious why the flavor is so much better to him than other kibbles.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #69
Initial report on Hill's lamb and rice.

The kibble bits are huge compared to the other dog food brands we've tried.  I had to check and be sure we didn't get something for large breeds.

I think this is the one my dog is on. I get him the adult advanced fitness one but can't remember which specific flavor. The kibbles are a decent size.

Pippin doesn't mind huge kibble bits at all.

He eats until he cleans the bowl.  This is something he's never done in the 1.5 years we've had him.  He usually takes 6 to 8 hours of futzing around before he's done with a serving. 

Last night, I (as usual) put his next-day serving in his bowl just before I went to bed.  He pays no attention to the food until mid-morning, 99.9% of the time.  Given his earlier enthusiasm, I thought this might be a bad idea, but I confess I was curious.  He got up out of his bed (where he was down for the night) and ate an entire cup of kibble in one go.

Last time I put tomorrow's first meal down at bedtime.

Pippin has always been a snack-around eater.  He doesn't care if one of the cats eats from his bowl.  I'm going to watch carefully for a bit to be sure he isn't more protective of the food.

I'm curious why the flavor is so much better to him than other kibbles.

Oh dear haha. Yeah, my dog scarfs it up pretty quickly. He used to scarf and barf, so I tried a few methods to slow him down a bit, none of which worked very well. He's slowed down a little bit on his own, but still eats quickly. It's not ideal in terms of making them feel like they're full, which helps with weight management of chunky doggos, but he at least crunches his food, which I care a bit more about. Chewing aids in digestion and helps just the tiniest bit with teeth. Also he's a hound so he will act hungry no matter how slowly he eats, so it's up to me to be strict with his portions regardless of what he does.

As for why he likes this one better, it could be that it has a palatant that tastes (or more likely smells) better than the other types he's tried. Dry foods are often coated with a palatant that gives them their "flavor," and the composition varies. Things like kibble size and texture (mouth feel!) can also contribute to palatability.

There's really a whole science to kibble shape and size, and it's kind of crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpdNd7Eqnt8

Reply #70
It does smell pretty good (to me, fwiw).  It has a meatier smell than any dry kibble we've bought in the past.  I figured it's a combination of smell, kibble size, and novelty.  We'll see if the shine wears off in a couple weeks, I guess!  Or maybe he'll get into the habit of eating his food all at once.  Which I'm told is what normal dogs do.  One vet at the place I take him to tut-tutted about his lackadaisical eating habits (when SHE ASKED ME, it didn't occur to me to report his eating habits as a problem) and suggested I take his food away 20 minutes after I put it down or right away when he starts playing with it.  I was like "Why would I do that?"  It sounds like the crappy advice parents get about their kids eating habits.

Reply #71

Reply #72

Reply #73
Pippin has gone back to his triflin' ways with his food.

Reply #74