Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Climate loonies borrow a page from the DI (Read 1153 times) previous topic - next topic

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Climate loonies borrow a page from the DI
With a list of dissenters, almost none of which are qualified to have an opinion:

Just who are these 300 'scientists' telling Trump to burn the climate?

If you read the headlines, it might have seemed impressive: "300 Scientists Tell Trump to Leave UN Climate Agreement." Wow, 300 scientists. That's a lot right? Actually, it's a pitiful list.

First of all, hardly anyone on the list was a climate scientist; many were not even natural scientists. It is almost as though anyone with a college degree (and there are about 21 million enrolled in higher education programs just in the USA) was qualified to sign that letter.

Okay but what about the signers of the letter? Surely they are experts in the field? Not so much. It was very difficult to find the list of signers online however I was able to acquire it with some help. See for yourself - Google "300 scientists letter climate change" in the past week. You will see many stories in the press, but try finding the actual letter or the list of names. The version I obtained was dated February 23, 2017 which helps narrow your searching. In an era of Dr. Google, it is unbelievable that the letter itself was not made more available.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

Re: Climate loonies borrow a page from the DI
Reply #1
Looking forward to the climate change version of Project Steve.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #2
I saw that article yesterday, and just thought "Meh". Let me see the list of people who give a fuck. :parrot:
Truth is out of style

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Giddyup America!

Reply #3
What's the equivalent of the rhetorical Climate Alarmist ?

Climate Snooze-ist ?

Climate People-are-welcome-to-give-a-fuck-after-I'm-dead-and-I-can-no-longer-be-inconvenienced-ist ?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #4
I like pointing out to them that they're alarmists. They're always freaking out about how doing anything will trash the economy, and/or lead to totalitarian world government, or several other equally bonkers things. If that's not alarmist, I don't know what is.
Truth is out of style

Reply #5
I saw that article yesterday, and just thought "Meh". Let me see the list of people who give a fuck. :parrot:

Well we could start with the incensed JonF.
Then move onto the furious random-link Ben.
After which there's, um, you.
And an incoherent but clearly deeply upset Doobie thing.
All headed up by an outraged John Abraham.

There's the possibility of a small logical inconsistency in journalist John's position though as he flails wildly around at the 300 'heretics I tell you!' and perhaps you spotted what that is.  He likes to make much of the fact that people in the list are not qualified to comment because there is not the word 'climate' in their titles or qualifications.  And yet he feels perfectly enabled to trash everyone and everything from his exalted and revered climate qualifications of ... what exactly?  What are John Abraham's qualifications?  Now perhaps I've misunderstood and he is in fact a double climate major with additional climate modules and a PhD from the Climate Department of Climate University but as usual I'm going to have to ask for evidence ...

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #6
Oh look, Cletus is still grumpy. :popcorn:
Truth is out of style

Reply #7
I like pointing out to them that they're alarmists. They're always freaking out about how doing anything will trash the economy, and/or lead to totalitarian world government, or several other equally bonkers things. If that's not alarmist, I don't know what is.

They probably don't have much to say in defense do they.  I expect they just back away slowly nodding and smiling and wiping your spittle off their faces.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #8
Basically, yes.
Truth is out of style

Reply #9
In my experience, they start talking about the Rothschild's and the trilateral commission or else they get in their Mercedes paid for by the fossil fuel industry but maybe that's just me.  ::)
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #10

Not incensed, just amazed at the use of a stupid tactic.

They lack of qualifications is not in their titles, but rather in the absence of any reason to believe they have a clue and quite a few reasons to believe they don't. Several were discussed at my link. Care to defend their qualifications?
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #11
He's just trying to troll us. We all have to be rabid ravers.
Truth is out of style

Reply #12
 :ohmy:

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Giddyup America!

Reply #13

furious!  incoherent!  deeply upset!  outraged!  spittle!

Gimmie more of dat sweet sweet hyperbole.  ::)

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #14
It is amusing. :)
Truth is out of style

Reply #15
In my experience, they start talking about the Rothschild's and the trilateral commission or else they get in their Mercedes paid for by the fossil fuel industry but maybe that's just me.  ::)

Yes that's just you.  Evidence is what they quite unreasonably ask for.

Reply #16

Lol for how many decades now have we we been browbeaten with the endless whine about "the 97% consensus" in lieu of evidence?  Now you're amazed - not incensed but amazed I tell you! - that some other scientists group together to make their own position to the contrary known against the background cacophony of the enormously funded alarmists.  That list btw is nothing more than a place marker and is growing by the day.  Just a thought but did you also think the 'scientists' march on Washington was a stupid tactic?  Were you demanding to see all participants qualifications and avidly questioning them?  I missed John Abraham's in-depth expose of that.

They lack of qualifications is not in their titles, but rather in the absence of any reason to believe they have a clue and quite a few reasons to believe they don't. Several were discussed at my link. Care to defend their qualifications?

No one cares what you believe.  Your link comes straight out of the box from the most rabid of partisan online sources.  It fails to even link to or quote from the petition about which it is whining.  It plunges straight into a pathetic tirade of supposed character and qualification assassinations and that I guess is the style of thing you prefer.

You should know, but clearly do not, that contributors to  climate science come from a vast range of disciplines and all of them have a right to their opinions.  Anyone at all has a right to their opinions and is at liberty to point out when the scientific method is being routinely abused.

No, I do not care to 'defend their qualifications' you pompous fuckwit.  If you are unhappy with them as presented by your Guardian hack then write to their respective employers and have them drummed out of their positions.  For the retired ones you may prefer to write to the institutions from which their qualifications were conferred and have them retrospectively withdrawn for the heinous crime of disagreeing with TR poster JonF.  And since you're so keen on the requirement of having impeccable qualifications to hold an opinion I'll ask again - what are John Abraham's qualifications for dismissing out of hand some three hundred scientists with whatever qualifications they hold?  Do his qualifications entitle him to hold an opinion?  The best thing of all about your link was the opening line "If you read my articles regularly, you may have noticed multiple times I have stated that the scientific argument is over ..."  John has stated has he?  And his qualifications for making such an utterly delusional statement are what exactly?
  • Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:01:27 AM by Cephus0

Reply #17

furious!  incoherent!  deeply upset!  outraged!  spittle!

Gimmie more of dat sweet sweet hyperbole.  ::)

And an incoherent but clearly deeply upset Doobie thing.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #18

Yes that's just you.  Evidence is what they quite unreasonably ask for.
Correct. They do ask for it quite unreasonably, and whenever they are given it their immediate reaction is to claim it is not evidence and that they want evidence. This is, as you so rightly pointed out, quite unreasonable behaviour. However, it's all they have. Poor things.
Truth is out of style

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19

Now you're amazed - not incensed but amazed I tell you! - that some other scientists group together to make their own position to the contrary known against the background cacophony of the enormously funded alarmists.
Exactly, except the vast majority of them are not scientists of any stripe, and lists of people that disagree are pointless without presenting the evidence why they disagree.

[qquote]No, I do not care to 'defend their qualifications' you pompous fuckwit.
[/quote]
Thanks for admitting their "qualifications" are indefensible.

Reply #20

Lol for how many decades now have we we been browbeaten with the endless whine about "the 97% consensus" in lieu of evidence?  Now you're amazed - not incensed but amazed I tell you! - that some other scientists group together to make their own position to the contrary known against the background cacophony of the enormously funded alarmists.  That list btw is nothing more than a place marker and is growing by the day.  Just a thought but did you also think the 'scientists' march on Washington was a stupid tactic?  Were you demanding to see all participants qualifications and avidly questioning them?  I missed John Abraham's in-depth expose of that.

No one cares what you believe.  Your link comes straight out of the box from the most rabid of partisan online sources.  It fails to even link to or quote from the petition about which it is whining.  It plunges straight into a pathetic tirade of supposed character and qualification assassinations and that I guess is the style of thing you prefer.

You should know, but clearly do not, that contributors to  climate science come from a vast range of disciplines and all of them have a right to their opinions.  Anyone at all has a right to their opinions and is at liberty to point out when the scientific method is being routinely abused.

No, I do not care to 'defend their qualifications' you pompous fuckwit.  If you are unhappy with them as presented by your Guardian hack then write to their respective employers and have them drummed out of their positions.  For the retired ones you may prefer to write to the institutions from which their qualifications were conferred and have them retrospectively withdrawn for the heinous crime of disagreeing with TR poster JonF.  And since you're so keen on the requirement of having impeccable qualifications to hold an opinion I'll ask again - what are John Abraham's qualifications for dismissing out of hand some three hundred scientists with whatever qualifications they hold?  Do his qualifications entitle him to hold an opinion?  The best thing of all about your link was the opening line "If you read my articles regularly, you may have noticed multiple times I have stated that the scientific argument is over ..."  John has stated has he?  And his qualifications for making such an utterly delusional statement are what exactly?

Are you saying that their qualifications are irrelevant, or that you think their qualifications are sufficient to establish their credibility?

Reply #21

Sometimes they complain about
the background cacophony of the enormously funded alarmists.
Which is always ironic considering...
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dark-money-funds-climate-change-denial-effort/
140 foundations funneled $558 million to almost 100 climate denial organizations from 2003 to 2010.

Or they might refer to left-leaning but well respected newspapers like The Guardian as
the most rabid of partisan online sources.
Might as well just call it "Fake News" and complete the transition to full-on Trump worship.

If you're very lucky, they might describe any politician who simply states that the science is settled and suggests we take action based on it as
http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=2580277
Quote from: Cephus0
screeching so from his pulpit
::)

But the best is when they put forth their own special theories like
http://talkrational.org/archive/showthread.php?p=2515287
Quote from: Cephus0
it appears that what may well have happened was that Mags Thatcher in her wish to promote the nuclear power option approached the Royal Society with a pile of cash on the table to validate the then crackpot fringe AGW hypothesis - and so they of course did and the rest is ever expanding bullshit from there.
:paranoid:

Reply #22

You have some spittle on your chin

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Giddyup America!

Reply #23
When I asked for more hyperbole he really stepped up eh?

P.S. - That survey of papers submitted in the field of climate science, IOW of the evidence he asserts the "97%" survey is in lieu of, was submitted in mid 2013. So he has been, uh, browbeaten! (by someone somewhere) with the endless whine! for almost 0.4 decades. Zero...Point...Four.  Can you imagine the horror? The butthurt?

P.P.S. - I wonder if he recognizes the projection of wanting people's lives ruined or jacked over for disagreement rather than some appropriately placed criticism (whether well supported or not) says a lot more about him than anyone else. That's about the only thing that I'm amazed! by.

Reply #24
:stare:

Who are you talking to?  With multiple postscripts?

And what are you talking about?

Look n/m.  I know you're upset and everything but hang in there and the voices will go away.  Prolly best if you stop posting during the healing process though.