Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Climate loonies borrow a page from the DI (Read 1281 times) previous topic - next topic

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Re: Climate loonies borrow a page from the DI
Reply #125
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #126
Idiot
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #127
The new reduction of the solar activity will lead to reduction of the solar irradiance by 3W/m2 according to Lean (1997). This resulted in significant cooling of Earth and very severe winters and cold summers. "Several studies have shown that the Maunder Minimum coincided with the coldest phase of global cooling, which was called "the Little Ice Age". During this period there were very cold winters in Europe and North America. In the days of the Maunder minimum the water in the river Thames and the Danube River froze, the Moscow River was covered by ice every six months, snow lay on some plains year round and Greenland was covered by glaciers" - says Dr Helen Popova, who developed a unique physical-mathematical model of the evolution of the magnetic activity of the Sun and used it to gain the patterns of occurrence of global minima of solar activity and gave them a physical interpretation.

If the similar reduction will be observed during the upcoming Maunder minimum this can lead to the similar cooling of the Earth atmosphere. According to Dr Helen Popova, if the existing theories about the impact of solar activity on the climate are true, then this minimum will lead to a significant cooling, similar to the one occurred during the Maunder minimum.
https://astronomynow.com/2015/07/17/diminishing-solar-activity-may-bring-new-ice-age-by-2030/
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #128
It's not hard to google "Habibullo Abdussamatov" and see jusy how credible the "big ones" are though.

It's what plants crave.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #129
Habibullo Abdussamatov, Dr. Sci. is head of the Space Research Laboratory at the Pulkovo Observatory and head of the Russian-Ukrainian project Astrometria on the Russian Segment of the International Space Station.

Yeah, I bet the The Central Astronomical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences at Pulkov is just full of nutjobs who don't know nearly as much as you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulkovo_Observatory
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #130
Haha

I made myself laugh
― Mark Twain 🔭

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #131
With a list of dissenters, almost none of which are qualified to have an opinion:
The thing is, you are not qualified to have any say in the matter.  That's what makes it so damn funny.
What qualifications are required?  It's obvious from a casual glance that the vast majority of the signers have no qualifications or experience in relevant fields.  So why can't I conclude that they are not qualified?
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #132
Habibullo Abdussamatov, Dr. Sci. is head of the Space Research Laboratory at the Pulkovo Observatory and head of the Russian-Ukrainian project Astrometria on the Russian Segment of the International Space Station.

Yeah, I bet the The Central Astronomical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences at Pulkov is just full of nutjobs who don't know nearly as much as you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulkovo_Observatory
They probably don't know as much as me about climate change.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #133
Oh yeah, that is probably true.

Hahahahaha

OK now you made me laugh
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #134
And laughter is always good.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #135
I did take the time to characterize the qualifications of the signers.  I tried to be as generous as possible.  Here's what I have:

You can download the spreadsheet from here. I'll be glad to discuss my choices, but "I bet that person is qualified" is meaningless without justification for why. I do bet nobody can some up with justification to change the overall picture.

I notice good ol' Forrest Mims and Michael Oard are on the list.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #136
For more than twenty-five years, Mims has made accurate and detailed atmospheric measurements. These include measuring the ozone layer, haze (aerosol optical depth), and the total column water vapor.

The project began in May 1988, when Mims started experimenting with making UV-B measurements with homemade equipment. In 1989, Mims designed and built the first Total Ozone Portable Spectrometer (TOPS) to monitor ozone, and instruments to measure haze and water vapor. The first TOPS (Total Ozone Portable Spectrometer) ozone instrument earned a 1993 Rolex Award. [56]

On February 4, 1990, these instruments were first used at solar noon to measure the ozone layer, haze (aerosol optical depth) and total column water vapor. The photograph at left by Mims wife Minnie was made February 4, 2016, the 26th anniversary date.

The various sun photometers, radiometers and cameras on the table are used every day at solar noon when the sun is not blocked by clouds. See Wikimedia and www.forrestmims.org for 25-year charts of total ozone, total water vapor and optical depth (haze). Mims' original LED sun photometer (placed in service during fall 1989) is in his left hand. Two Microtops II are in his right hand. One is among the very first (1997) and the other is the only MicroTOPS II with LED's as photodetectors.

Mims first LED sun photometer is still in use (he is shown holding it in the 26th anniversary photo above). It has dual LED's acting as narrow band sensors, one at 830 nm and another at 940 nm (near-IR). The 830 nm LED is for optical depth. The ratio of the photocurrents from the 830 nm and 940 nm LEDs provides total water vapor. [57]

Total Ozone measured by Forrest M. Mims III at Geronimo Creek Observatory, Texas (1990-2016)
The chart at right shows the total ozone measured from 1990 through 2016.

Total ozone (Dobson units) measured at solar noon at Geronimo Creek Observatory since February 4, 1990. Measurements conducted only when sun is open and free of clouds. Mims has compared his measurements against Dobson 76 and Brewers 009 and 119 at the Mauna Loa Observatory each year since 1992.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Mims#25_years_of_Atmospheric_Measurements

Must a nutjob, he measures reality, instead of modeling it.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #137
Thanks man, never heard of him before.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #138
Morris on the other hand, seems like a religious nutjob at first glance.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #139
For more than twenty-five years, Mims has made accurate and detailed atmospheric measurements. These include measuring the ozone layer, haze (aerosol optical depth), and the total column water vapor.

The project began in May 1988, when Mims started experimenting with making UV-B measurements with homemade equipment. In 1989, Mims designed and built the first Total Ozone Portable Spectrometer (TOPS) to monitor ozone, and instruments to measure haze and water vapor. The first TOPS (Total Ozone Portable Spectrometer) ozone instrument earned a 1993 Rolex Award. [56]

On February 4, 1990, these instruments were first used at solar noon to measure the ozone layer, haze (aerosol optical depth) and total column water vapor. The photograph at left by Mims wife Minnie was made February 4, 2016, the 26th anniversary date.

The various sun photometers, radiometers and cameras on the table are used every day at solar noon when the sun is not blocked by clouds. See Wikimedia and www.forrestmims.org for 25-year charts of total ozone, total water vapor and optical depth (haze). Mims' original LED sun photometer (placed in service during fall 1989) is in his left hand. Two Microtops II are in his right hand. One is among the very first (1997) and the other is the only MicroTOPS II with LED's as photodetectors.

Mims first LED sun photometer is still in use (he is shown holding it in the 26th anniversary photo above). It has dual LED's acting as narrow band sensors, one at 830 nm and another at 940 nm (near-IR). The 830 nm LED is for optical depth. The ratio of the photocurrents from the 830 nm and 940 nm LEDs provides total water vapor. [57]

Total Ozone measured by Forrest M. Mims III at Geronimo Creek Observatory, Texas (1990-2016)
The chart at right shows the total ozone measured from 1990 through 2016.

Total ozone (Dobson units) measured at solar noon at Geronimo Creek Observatory since February 4, 1990. Measurements conducted only when sun is open and free of clouds. Mims has compared his measurements against Dobson 76 and Brewers 009 and 119 at the Mauna Loa Observatory each year since 1992.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Mims#25_years_of_Atmospheric_Measurements

Must a nutjob, he measures reality, instead of modeling it.
So he doesn't do predictions.

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

Reply #140
I moved Mims to the "Maybe Qualified" Group.

I found that the spreadsheet I uploaded somehow was missing the graph and the count of each group.  I've uploaded a new version here.

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #141
We need data worldwide like Mims records.

http://www.forrestmims.org/sciencedata.html
― Mark Twain 🔭

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #142
We need data worldwide like Mims records.

http://www.forrestmims.org/sciencedata.html
But whenever someone posts data of the global situation, you freak out and say it's inadmissable.

I think what you really mean is "we need a compendium of disconnected data from all over the world, so I can cherry pick the bits I like while simultaneously insisting that nobody is allowed to look at the overall situation".
Truth is out of style

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #143
 "Heated greenhouse gases, which become lighter as a result of expansion, ascend to the atmosphere only to give the absorbed heat away."

-Habibullo Abdussamatov

Yep. Totes credible
It's what plants crave.

• VoxRat
  • Needs a Life
  • wtactualf

Reply #144
I would never name my child "Hullabaloo".
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #145
"Heated greenhouse gases, which become lighter as a result of expansion, ascend to the atmosphere only to give the absorbed heat away."

-Habibullo Abdussamatov

Yep. Totes credible
ROFL. That's just brilliant. With that kind of reasoning, it is impossible for the atmosphere to ever warm up. Becaues, you know, warm gases expand, become lighter, rise up and give away the heat. He's disproved night-day cycles in temperature right there.
"At least you can fucking die and leave North Korea." - Christopher Hitchens