Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Fukn enantiornitheans: how do they work? (Read 162 times) previous topic - next topic

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Fukn enantiornitheans: how do they work?
I'm curious about these particular dead birds. How the fuck did they end up with a major ball-and-socket joint being arse about?

That's a pretty significant change, or seems like it anyway. Does anyone have an idea how and when this happened?
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Re: Fukn enantiornitheans: how do they work?
Reply #1
I'm curious about these particular dead birds. How the fuck did they end up with a major ball-and-socket joint being arse about?

That's a pretty significant change, or seems like it anyway. Does anyone have an idea how and when this happened?

It involved Rule 34 and it happened early on a Tuesday.
Are we there yet?

Reply #2
well, joint formation is pretty plastic, but what specific feature are you talking about?

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #3
The enantiornitheans were aliens
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
If you're referring to the hip joint, it's not that ball-sockety in birds I think, more like a cylinder. I suppose turning the concave cartillage on the distal end to convex would not be that significant a change? Do bear in mind though that I'm just speculating here and also I know preciously little about non-mammalian anatomy which means I shouldn't have made this post in the first place n/m

Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #5
Well for a start, this bit:

Quote from: Wiki
This refers to an anatomical feature - the articulation of the shoulder bones - which has a concave-convex socket joint that is the reverse of that of modern birds. Specifically, in enantiornitheans, the facet where the scapula (shoulder blade) meets the coracoid (the primary bone of the shoulder girdle in vertebrates other than mammals) is a convex knob and the corresponding point on the shoulder blade is concave and dish-shaped. In modern birds, the way the joint articulates is reversed.
Truth is out of style

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
Oh that *is* a significant change. It has clear biomechanical implications because it shifts the center of rotation towards the midline, and on the more stable aspect of the joint. That makes the action of the abductors and rotators more focused and stable. I bet the whole kinematics of the joint were improved.

Fun fact: Many modern shoulder arthroplasties apply the same trick to make a more stable and functional construct, especially when the muscles and ligaments stabilizing and mobilizing the joint are damaged. Some orthopods view that as improving on a natural construct; turns out that nature was way ahead of us- At least for enantiornithines.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #7

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #8
Cool. Learn something every day.

According to Wiki (yeah, I know) a lot of these critters are thought to have been quite weak fliers, so I don't know what's going on there. It mentions they used a different motion to fly, but doesn't give details.

What got me into this is New Scientist has just put up an article about them, but I don't have a subscription so I can't read it. It just jogged my memory about them since I had idly wondered sometimes.
Truth is out of style

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #9
Maybe they relied more on their deltoids to fly, and the change made the muscle more efficient in abducting the arm. I think a study had shown that confuciusornithidae used their deltoids as well[1], which could have been the basal state, so maybe that was the way enantiornitheans managed to raise their wings more efficiently. Neornithes modified the supracoracoid to get more strength in arm elevation, and perhaps that proved even more efficient? Again, just speculating.
'Socrates' threads did have an educating aspect as well as an entertaining one.
  • Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 01:16:02 PM by Faid

Reply #10
http://www.clevelandshoulder.com/pdf/reverseShoulder.pdf

(In case anyone's interested)
A quick google doesn't  find any enantiornithines with a humeral head that looks like that. The coracoid is a bone that fits between the furcula (clavicle) and the scapula, about where the coracoid process is, but much bigger, and technically not homologous.

Enantiornithines don't have a reversed shoulder girdle. That would be completely bizarre. They're talking about the joint between bones that make up the shoulder girdle, not the joint between that and the humerus.
Why do I bother?

• Faid
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11
:sadcheer:

Yeah, I totally goofed there. I somehow misread that as the glenoid joint. It doesn't help that all those bones are completely joined and ossified in the human scapula and the glenohumeral joint is the basic point of movement.

Oh well. Got my dose of unfounded childish excitement for the month.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #12
http://www.clevelandshoulder.com/pdf/reverseShoulder.pdf

(In case anyone's interested)
A quick google doesn't  find any enantiornithines with a humeral head that looks like that. The coracoid is a bone that fits between the furcula (clavicle) and the scapula, about where the coracoid process is, but much bigger, and technically not homologous.

Enantiornithines don't have a reversed shoulder girdle. That would be completely bizarre. They're talking about the joint between bones that make up the shoulder girdle, not the joint between that and the humerus.
So what's the story here then? Are these arse about birds arse about or not?
Truth is out of style

Reply #13
Not particularly. Not in the way faid though at least.
Why do I bother?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #14
So how then?
Truth is out of style

Reply #15
Its not the ball and socket joint that's arse about face. Its the connection between the scapula and the coracoid. The shoulder joint where the humerus goes is still a standard ball and socket same as in everything else I'm aware of.
Why do I bother?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #16
Know of any pix?
Truth is out of style

Reply #17
Not off the top of my head.
Why do I bother?