Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TR: This is why Jon has you on ignore.

Topic: First-ever underwater video of the elusive True’s beaked whale (Read 134 times) previous topic - next topic

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
First-ever underwater video of the elusive True’s beaked whale
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2123627-first-ever-underwater-video-of-the-elusive-trues-beaked-whale/

Go look. Has pix.

What I want to know is how the buggers stay underwater for two hours when they only spend a few minutes on the surface.
Truth is out of style

• F X
  • The one and only
Re: First-ever underwater video of the elusive True’s beaked whale
Reply #1
If only the internet had a way to find shit out.

You idiot
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #2
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2123627-first-ever-underwater-video-of-the-elusive-trues-beaked-whale/

Go look. Has pix.

What I want to know is how the buggers stay underwater for two hours when they only spend a few minutes on the surface.
Not sure what FX's link says but dolphins and killer whales power breath at the surface and the myoglobin in their muscles bulks up on oxygen. They probably do something with their blood too but iirc (and I'm pretty sure I do) the main mechanism is massive production of myoglobin. I assume that would be the same for all beaked whales.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #3
The challenges of deep diving are also overcome by the unique diving physiology of beaked whales. Oxygen storage during dives is mostly achieved by blood hemoglobin and muscle myoglobin.[17] While the whale is diving, its heart rate slows and blood flow changes. This physiological dive response ensures oxygen-sensitive tissues maintain a supply of oxygen, while those tissues tolerant to hypoxia receive less blood flow. Additionally, lung collapse obviates the exchange of lung gas with blood, likely minimizing the uptake of nitrogen by tissues.[11]
The research I am aware of puts the main mechanism as myoglobin storage because extreme pressure messes with increased blood oxygen.

There is a lot that wasn't known when I was learning that kind of stuff but the professor who taught that class studied orca pods in Washington and bc and was pretty definitive about the myoglobin bit.

Reply #4
Eta: I just looked him up and he's dead. :(

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #5
If only the internet had a way to find shit out.

You idiot
Having a nice day, FX?  :grin:
Truth is out of style

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #6
 :parrot:
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭