Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• It would have been absurdity whichever direction I ventured.

Topic: obamacare repeal effort thread (Read 11408 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: obamacare repeal effort thread
Reply #175
Well, they only need like 3, right?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #176
according to the hill's whip count, there are still only 17 no's.  (and 9 lean-no's, which is up by 1 since last I checked).  I think 22 are needed to kill it, so the gap is 5.  moreover, the hill's count includes some of those centrist wing republicans.

so if the freedom caucus isn't bullshitting, then they have 5-10 more nos beyond the ones who have announced publicly.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #177
Has anyone posted the changes to the bill made tonight?

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/324924-gop-leaders-unveil-changes-to-healthcare-bill

The changes include two measures that conservative Republican Study Committee members won at the White House on Friday: allowing states to require Medicaid recipients to work and allowing states to choose a Medicaid block grant over the cap system in the current bill.

The revisions also include a change targeted at New York state that is expected to bring on board several wavering Empire State Republicans. That change would cut off federal Medicaid reimbursement for county contributions to Medicaid.

Reply #178
Hahaha "I know, we'll kill the poors even more!" is there answer.

• ksen
Reply #179
Just like Jesus would do.

His statement "You'll always have the poor with you" was obviously code for "since they're always going to be here then you don't have to bother helping the no good, lazy, shiftless, dindu nuffin jerks. Pax."

• ksen
Reply #180
I still consider myself a believer and it disgusts and repulses me that the political party that is supposedly Jesus' party doesn't even bother to just leave the poor alone.  Instead at nearly every turn they actively try to harm the poor.  It reminds me every day why I abandoned the American version of Corporate christianity.

:smithicide:

Reply #181

• el jefe
Reply #182
it's not that they don't care about the poor.  they just acknowledge the reality that the poor have it too easy and the rich need a break.

• ksen
Reply #183
They do realize that in the parable of the rich, young ruler that the rich, young ruler wasn't the hero?  Right?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #184
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

Reply #185
it's not that they don't care about the poor.  they just acknowledge the reality that the poor have it too easy and the rich need a break.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #186
Well, they only need like 3, right?

according to the hill's whip count, there are still only 17 no's.  (and 9 lean-no's, which is up by 1 since last I checked).  I think 22 are needed to kill it, so the gap is 5.  moreover, the hill's count includes some of those centrist wing republicans.

Duh, I was thinking of the Senate. 

• el jefe
Reply #187
I'm not confident they won't pull this off

• el jefe
Reply #188
...though I'm not sure they're pursuing the right strategy.  they initially tried to split the difference between moderates and extremists, and then have moved relatively little since then, throwing a few bones to each.  now they are also making threats against members who don't support it, mainly the freedom caucus.

I think what they should have done is make it a far right bill to get the tea party on board, and then threaten the moderates with primary challenges if they don't vote for it.  it's easy to imagine the charge of "he voted to protect obamacare!" sticking to a moderate.  wouldn't stick to a tea partier.  so they have to actually meet the far right ' s demands to get their votes.  they can simply threaten the moderates instead of giving them anything.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #189

• el jefe
Reply #190
boosh

• el jefe
Reply #191

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #192
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/trump-arrives-on-capitol-hill-to-sell-house-gop-health-care-package/2017/03/21/e8ede3d2-0e2b-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_acahouse-1025am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.257d30d32e11
Trump is putting his considerable weight behind a proposal crafted by House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.)
hahaha Trump's fat

*writes 6,000 word thinkpiece on problematicity of fat jokes in the age of Trump :ohdear: *

Reply #193
problematicity
problematicity
problematicity
problematicity
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #194
What, you don't like my new word? :sadcheer:

Reply #195
i love it.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #196

Reply #197

• ksen
Reply #198
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/21/paul-ryan-agrees-gop-majority-at-risk-if-obamacare-replacement-fails.html

Scare tactic?
No, just another half-truth.

They're fucked if they don't do anything and they're fucked if they do this particular thing.

• ksen
Reply #199
Another thing is that the Freedumb Cockus can't distance themselves from Ryan.  They're the ones who signed on to let him keep the Speaker job.