Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Google site search (Read 76 times) previous topic - next topic

Google site search
Has anyone used a forum that has google site search enabled?  If so, how did you like it?

A few years ago I used a vbulletin site that used google search instead of vbulletin search because the database was incredibly huge.  I didn't like how the search worked, but that was probably 10 years ago, and I was comparing it to vbulletin search.

I'm wondering if it would be better than the native Elkarte search, or if it would be a good addition to Elkarte search.

I have no idea how involved adding google site search would be, but before I do a lot of research, I'm curious if it currently would be a worthwhile addition to search functionality.

Re: Google site search
Reply #1
Has anyone used a forum that has google site search enabled?  If so, how did you like it?

A few years ago I used a vbulletin site that used google search instead of vbulletin search because the database was incredibly huge.  I didn't like how the search worked, but that was probably 10 years ago, and I was comparing it to vbulletin search.

I'm wondering if it would be better than the native Elkarte search, or if it would be a good addition to Elkarte search.

I have no idea how involved adding google site search would be, but before I do a lot of research, I'm curious if it currently would be a worthwhile addition to search functionality.
it's super easy to add. It uses a different kind of indexer that ignores datestamps and has a far more, er, robust wildcard function, meaning that you get a lot of dubious results. However, there are times when that is a plus. As an additional feature, it would probably be good. As a replacement, not so much.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2
It would be an additional feature if it happens.  If that isn't an option, I'm not interested in installing it.

Reply #3
it may be a trick to fit it into the template. A layer will probably screw up mobile viewing. I'd do it in an unused template first.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #4
I've done it before with SMF. You can install several search engines, selectable from a drop down. From memory, I think I went with Google and DuckDuckGo. I can't remember the code offhand but could dig it up. Shouldn't be hard to port to Elk, if it hasn't already been done.

One catch is that it will only search public boards. It is possible to set up Sphinx if you want something that will search all content. I'm not up to speed on how that goes, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out. I know someone who wrote code for Sphinx.
Truth is out of style

Reply #5
I'd prefer search to work on all content if feasible.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #6
Well in that case you probably want Sphinx.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #7
Truth is out of style

Reply #8
Ah yeah, my little blog server didn't support sphinx, so it wasn't a real option when I did the config for this forum.

Do you know how sphinx settings should be set up?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #9
No fucking idea.
Truth is out of style