Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: The Budget Apocalypse (Read 578 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Re: The Budget Apocalypse
Reply #50
keep in mind here that i'm not denying that it's evil, but i have to grudgingly admit that it is probably a pretty effective program for evil given that it sets the opening bid so fucking high in so many places that even a haggled-down version is just straight up pure malice.

Exactly. Some of these things won't pass outright, but others will be backtracked just enough to make politicians happy even though the cuts will still be devastating. As an example, the NIH's budget is bare bones as it is, and they only got a small amount of help recently from Obama and from Biden's cancer moonshot push. Going from an 18% cut to a 10% cut will still gut everything. As it stands now, NIH grants are so fucking hard to get that many young scientists are getting fucked out of careers. Any messing with this will provoke even more brain drain.

And I don't know about the fiscal health of after school programs that feed kids or free breakfast programs or any of the other services that so many people rely on, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were similar. It's like "okay, fine, I won't cut off your leg. I'll just damage your spinal cord and whatever happens, *shrug* v :mason: v "

Of course some of these things will actually pass. I think it's reasonable to bet we're seeing the last of the NEA/NEH and maybe PBS/NPR funding, too. That'll all be out of spite, since all of this shit proposal is about discretionary spending, which is a fraction of total spending, and the smaller programs here are basically a fucking rounding error. They can be funded by Melania living with her turd of a husband for like a week.

Aside from what will or won't go through, I don't know how these shitmagicians have done it, but it's still breathtaking and shocking to see them be so open about their horrible priorities and so clear about how much they fucking hate the poor. Like with George W Bush at least they tried with the whole "compassionate conservatism" angle, but these people are literally talking like cartoon villains. Snidley fucking Whiplash runs the goddamn OMB.

Reply #51

Reply #52
Cutting nih funding will have extraordinary consequences. Cancelling major investments is a guarantee of no returns.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #53
buggrofili you might be right if this "senior hill gop aide" is for real:

Reply #54
Realistically I think the NIH money will be kept, but this gives Trump the ability to tell his diehards that he opposed the durr durr vaccine lobby and wasteful animal model research etc. This also allows the moderate republicans to cut the shit out of social programs while looking like "good guys" to moderates for protecting NIH funds.

Additionally, the shock and tears that are coming from those of us who are on the side of civilization are part of the benefit to Trump's diehards. These pieces of shit really don't mind if they get cancer or anything else so long as progressives suffer. This really is about hurting people.

As much as it was played up for racist purposes, there was some truth in the argument that some portions of the Palestinian community were eager to indoctrinate their children into becoming living bombs just to make Israeli Jews suffer. That there was an ideological nihilism so deep that hatred towards others was more powerful than love of one's own children. I think this is what we're seeing en masse among rural white americans at this point. They don't care if they destroy themselves and their future so long as "durr liebruls" suffer.

Reply #55

considering making the final metamorphosis of my username "buggo"

Reply #56
seeing increasing parallels between the nihilism of white supremacism in middle america and the nihilism of arab supremacism in the middle east

Reply #57

considering making the final metamorphosis of my username "buggo"

Brugger Samsa

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #58

My reactions to this were a mixed "Wow, what monsters, what colossal douchebags." and "lol what kind of idiot moron dork try-hard I-only-just-discovered-Ayn-Rand talks-too-much-during-philosophy-101 pseudo-intellectuals chat about gutting Medicaid at a fucking college party COME ON."

Reply #59
Openly pining for throwing the poors (which I think Ryan grew up as) off of healthcare is monstrous.

Reply #60
Teeth, while there is probably an element of that in the mix, social society is pretty complex and single analysis/dimension diagnoses tend to obscure more than illuminate.

Racism is a complex concept to the point where it loses meaning when it's used as a single idea. That said, I think your idea is definitely hard to just toss out. But it mixes in with so many other mindsets in a massively overlapping Venn diagram that it's really easy to mistake other motives which may have negative consequences for malice.

Which does tend to amplify actual malice, thus making a self fulfilling prophesy.

Reply #61

My reactions to this were a mixed "Wow, what monsters, what colossal douchebags." and "lol what kind of idiot moron dork try-hard I-only-just-discovered-Ayn-Rand talks-too-much-during-philosophy-101 pseudo-intellectuals chat about gutting Medicaid at a fucking college party COME ON."
Please memescape this. Tia.

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #62
Cutting nih funding will have extraordinary consequences. Cancelling major investments is a guarantee of no returns.
Fantastically successful business practice.
Are we there yet?

Reply #63
Teeth, while there is probably an element of that in the mix, social society is pretty complex and single analysis/dimension diagnoses tend to obscure more than illuminate.

Racism is a complex concept to the point where it loses meaning when it's used as a single idea. That said, I think your idea is definitely hard to just toss out. But it mixes in with so many other mindsets in a massively overlapping Venn diagram that it's really easy to mistake other motives which may have negative consequences for malice.

Which does tend to amplify actual malice, thus making a self fulfilling prophesy.

So what I think here is that you're worried about racism as ontology whereas I'm concerned about the point we're at in terms of us-vs-them and willingness to engage in self-annihilation to prevent Them from winning.

Reply #64

So what I think here is that you're worried about racism as ontology whereas I'm concerned about the point we're at in terms of us-vs-them and willingness to engage in self-annihilation to prevent Them from winning.
Um. Not exactly. 

Reply #65
testy.

Reply #66
Yeah. I know. But even though he's a bit binary, I kinda like the way he analyzes stuff and I'm often fairly sympathetic to his arguments. I mean, they require a lot of internal amendment, but he often brings concepts together in interesting ways.

Oh, btw teeth, totally not talking about you here.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #67
otoh the House is just going to write their own budget anyway, which probably won't pass the House and would be DOA in the Senate due to a filibuster, and we'll keep running on continuing resolutions for years to come because our government is functionally broken.
Yeah but just think of this "budget" as basically a press release of "here's some shit the WH would like to see." Even when they still held the House in 2010, Democrats didn't pass a budget and they definitely didn't just rubber-stamp Obama's proposal in 2009.

This thing is just sort of a partial wish list of awful shit. It's not anything close to an actual "budget" that the House could take and vote on.

edit: feel free to bookmark this post and quote it back at me in an epic own when they turn this into a bill and pass it
also, even when congress passes a "budget", it's just a non binding resolution that they use to plan their work.  spending is actually controlled by the 12 annual appropriations bills (for discretionary), or it happens automatically under existing law (for mandatory spending, including entitlements).  though if they run out of time to do the appropriations, they often just pass a continuing resolution (as you say) that basically says "repeat of last year".

I realize you probably know all this, I just thought I'd put in an explainer for our viewers at home.

now here's something that makes me hopeful most of these draconian cuts won't be enacted. the gop has already run into the limits of what they were willing to cut under non-defense discretionary, a few years ago.  as a group, they were happy with an insane overall total on spending cuts, because they have a dumb, cartoon image of "government waste!", plus they have this attitude that crazy = good.  however, the committee chairs who were responsible for actually sifting through the details and finding what to cut and how much, came back and said the total was unrealistic.  they just couldn't find enough cuts that were politically viable.  one of them told leadership that going any further "would require cuts you really don't want to make".

and this was at the height of the tea party's power within the gop, and these committee chairs were good tea party zealots.  so if it wasn't possible then, it seems unlikely to me they'll find the votes for substantial further cuts now.

they might succeed in cutting the NEA, after-school programs, and climate change foreign aid, because i think they can keep the gop caucus together on that.  it will be a symbolic victory for dumb asshole hillbillies, but will not actually save much money (which is part of why the tea party didn't bother with it before).  stuff like meals on wheels, NIH research, and oh half the state department will not end up getting cut.  it will either be dropped in negotiations with the senate, or will cause a standoff that ends in a CR.
  • Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:00:31 AM by el jefe

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #68
Don't forget the sequester bullshit that the tea party implemented.  The logic and reasoning behind that is astounding considering the eventual outcomes.

"Let's make a rule so damaging to everyone that we'll never let it occur."

<one year later> "Fuck it, we can't agree on anything so let the axe come down anyway.  At least it's a cut in spending."

Reply #69
that is the downside of "they'll keep running under a CR" for sure. It's locking in that crap indefinitely.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #70
Don't forget the sequester bullshit that the tea party implemented.  The logic and reasoning behind that is astounding considering the eventual outcomes.

<one year later> "Fuck it, we can't agree on anything so let the axe come down anyway.  At least it's a cut in spending."
that was actually obama's idea.  he agreed to their overall amount of spending cuts (under duress of having our sovereign credit rating blown up), on the condition they were split equally between general areas the gop likes (defense) and general areas the democrats like.  the idea was to force the two parties to work together and make a deal that was less painful to both of them.  but the tea party was so dysfunctional they took a default position for several years that they would rather endure the pain than make a deal with the democrats. 

then the tea party discovered they couldn't even tolerate that level of cuts to the areas democrats like more.  almost as if the overall amount they were seeking to cut was detached from reality.  still, even that didn't prompt them to make a deal with democrats.  iirc, they just started softening the sequester itself.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #71

that was actually obama's idea.  he agreed to their overall amount of spending cuts (under duress of having our sovereign credit rating blown up), on the condition they were split equally between general areas the gop likes (defense) and general areas the democrats like.  the idea was to force the two parties to work together and make a deal that was less painful to both of them.  but the tea party was so dysfunctional they took a default position for several years that they would rather endure the pain than make a deal with the democrats.
OK, memory a bit fuzzy.  It was a kludge to avoid a shutdown but with pain on "both sides".

then the tea party discovered they couldn't even tolerate that level of cuts to the areas democrats like more.  almost as if the overall amount they were seeking to cut was detached from reality.  still, even that didn't prompt them to make a deal with democrats.  iirc, they just started softening the sequester itself.
Didn't Obama veto the attempts to soften the cuts?

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life

Reply #72
that's where my memory gets hazy, sorry

I want to say the gop congress's behavior got slightly less crazy in 2014-2015, and their relationship with obama slightly less confrontational.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #73
Meals on Wheels problem solved.  By private charity.  As it should be, libtards.
  • Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:23:19 AM by SkepticTank

Reply #74
Meals on Wheels problem solved.  By private charity.  As it should be, libtards.
yeah. That does seem to be a sort of opposite thing to funding pp and the aclu