TR Memescape

Topic: Leader of the Free World (Read 323 times) previous topic - next topic

Leader of the Free World

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Re: Leader of the Free World
Reply #1
Meh. Not knocking Merkel, but the EU is a lot more than just Germany, and plenty of others there have stood up to Trump.
Truth is out of style

Reply #2
I don't think it's just standing up to Trump that qualifies one as leader of the free world.

Is there someone in the EU who by country's standing in the world, or possibly by dint of personality has a greater leadership role?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #3
Not necessarily greater, but I think you would find that regardless of outsiders' (non-EU) views of Merkel, she would probably not be regarded as the leader of the EU by all EU states, or their people.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #4
And anyway, if Merkel is out last best hope then we need to get off our butts and make some more best hopes. She's not young. Trucks exist. Planes crash. Whatever. The idea of democracies is that more than one person has influence. I'm not much into the Messiah/alpha chimp mythos.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #5
If you want (or even if you don't) an indication of what's doing the rounds outside of the US and the EU, check this out:

https://theconversation.com/stephen-fitzgerald-managing-australian-foreign-policy-in-a-chinese-world-74607

Short version: It doesn't mention Europe. And it views the US as being a combination of asset and liability, and which will have to be dealt with on that basis.

You can bet that there will be a lot of other states who aren't waiting for Merkel to fix things for them.
Truth is out of style

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

Reply #6
Working with women is really difficult when you can't just stick your hand out and sexually assault them:

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #7
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/angela-merkel-donald-trump-sketch

Merkel never tries to pretend when she is not enjoying herself. She parried a question from a German reporter about what she made of Trump's personal style by pointing out that it is a leader's job to talk to other leaders who are not like them.

"People are different. People have different abilities, different origins ... That is diversity. That is good," she explained, sounding like a teacher telling her pupils they were being joined by a new classmate with special needs.

And she added: "If things went without problems, we wouldn't need politicians."

In other words: it is because I have to deal with people like this that you pay me the big bucks.
Truth is out of style

Reply #8
His pouty face is quite pouty.

• ToThePoint
  • Needs a Life
  • search & destroy

Reply #9
A historic day.

The 3rd parliamentary term German Chancellor Angela Merkel (who presides over the richest economy in Europe and also holds a PhD in quantum physics)

meeting with our top guy (who is famous for this clip)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCnKtzQpCSs

Angela Merkel was like all.....

"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #10
He really does look like a three year old there.
Truth is out of style

Reply #11

Reply #12
He refused to shake her hand when she offered it. So weird.

• Fenrir

Reply #13

Who is the lying SOB who created that image?!1!!

Unpatriotic traitor. Sad.
It's what plants crave.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #14
He refused to shake her hand when she offered it. So weird.
Girls have cooties.
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #15
If you want (or even if you don't) an indication of what's doing the rounds outside of the US and the EU, check this out:

https://theconversation.com/stephen-fitzgerald-managing-australian-foreign-policy-in-a-chinese-world-74607

Short version: It doesn't mention Europe. And it views the US as being a combination of asset and liability, and which will have to be dealt with on that basis.

You can bet that there will be a lot of other states who aren't waiting for Merkel to fix things for them.
Brilliant!

Does this Richard Tanter have any significant influence? I certainly hope so. For Australia's and the US's sake as well as a lot of other countries, including China.
Are we there yet?

Reply #16

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #17
I don't know how much influence Tanter has, but the general ideas in that article have been said by other people recently and not so recently. It's obvious that China is growing in several ways. The US is not, having long since reached its limits. Both are nuclear-armed superpowers with interests in the same region. Everyone else has to put up with them. WW3 is not a sane option. It doesn't take Einstein to figure out that this shit is tricky and we need to think for ourselves.

And now your lot have gone and demonstrated the meaning of American exceptionalism, namely that America is home to and frequently run by an exceptionally large number of exceptionally stupid and exceptionally dangerous fuckwits. Which the rest of us have to put up with.

Although it's well known that the US thinks the best use of its copious supply of weapons is killing its own people (fukn brilliant, that) unfortunately the wanker you have in charge at the moment is exactly the sort of wanker who would think that killing a shitload of other people would be a perfect distraction if he feels he is being thwarted and wants to look and feel strong.

We live in interesting times.
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #18
A historic day.

The 3rd parliamentary term German Chancellor Angela Merkel (who presides over the richest economy in Europe and also holds a PhD in quantum physics)

meeting with our top guy (who is famous for this clip)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCnKtzQpCSs

Angela Merkel was like all.....

He looks so uncomfortable. She looks amused.
Are we there yet?

• linus
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
I think the visitor handshake in front of the press is going to be like the initial couch scene in The Simpsons. He'll find a slightly new way each time.

• nesb

Reply #20
I've said for awhile that the capital of Europe will be in Berlin. I don't think Germany has as much power as the United States right now, though. Brexit should strengthen our position, since the UK needs us an ally more than ever, but I doubt Trump will properly capitalize on that, since he's an idiot. In fact, maybe Merkel is the leader of the free world, given the US has decided to only exercise influence through military means.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #21
I don't think Germany has as much power as the United States right now...

Truth is out of style

• nesb

Reply #22
I don't think Germany has as much power as the United States right now...

If Berlin actually controlled continental Europe, they would give the US a run for our money, economically. Or if said nations were generally centralized, regardless. As it is, though, their unity seems to be weakening, if anything.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #23
And if they had a military to match. And if pigs could fly. Point is, it's pretty obvious that at the moment Germany has nowhere near the power of the US, like it or not.
Truth is out of style

Reply #24

Reply #25

Reply #26

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #27
My bet is Trump would have written Merkel off the instant he decided her tits weren't impressive enough.
Truth is out of style

• nesb

Reply #28

And despite what we saw?

I remember Trump's first ghostwriter said Trump hired him, because he portrayed Trump as a quasi-gangster in an article he wrote. So we might not be threatening to smash Germany up, but asking for protection money fits with how Trump wants to come off.

I swear him and many of his supporters want America to be a backwards petty dictatorship.

• nesb

Reply #29
Asking for more contributions to NATO isn't even the worst thing, in theory, but if you think a friend might owe you money, you don't go into public and demand it indignantly with a megaphone.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #30
Trump doesn't have friends. He has sycophants, and enemies.
Truth is out of style

• linus
  • Needs a Life

Reply #31
My bet is Trump would have written Merkel off the instant he decided her tits weren't impressive enough.
Merkel is absolutely hated among the alt-right because she took in refugees, so I bet a public show of disrespect played well with them. OTOH, I'm sure he would've gotten away with a simple handshake, so maybe it was just one of his least sharp moments like the earlier phone call Turnbull.

Reply #32
i wasn't really keen on america before but i actively and passionately hate america now

Reply #33
i wasn't really keen on america before but i actively and passionately hate america now
That makes no sense. What do you mean by America?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #34
ugh  ::)

Reply #35
 :stuckup:
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any