Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: LIGO finds 'em!! (Read 154 times) previous topic - next topic

• JonF
  • Needs a Life

LIGO finds 'em!!
Gravitational Waves Detected 100 Years After Einstein's Prediction

The gravitational waves were detected on September 14, 2015 at 5:51 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (09:51 UTC) by both of the twin Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) detectors, located in Livingston, Louisiana, and Hanford, Washington, USA. The LIGO Observatories are funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), and were conceived, built, and are operated by Caltech and MIT. The discovery, accepted for publication in the journal Physical Review Letters, was made by the LIGO Scientific Collaboration (which includes the GEO Collaboration and the Australian Consortium for Interferometric Gravitational Astronomy) and the Virgo Collaboration using data from the two LIGO detectors.

Based on the observed signals, LIGO scientists estimate that the black holes for this event were about 29 and 36 times the mass of the sun, and the event took place 1.3 billion years ago. About 3 times the mass of the sun was converted into gravitational waves in a fraction of a second--with a peak power output about 50 times that of the whole visible universe. By looking at the time of arrival of the signals--the detector in Livingston recorded the event 7 milliseconds before the detector in Hanford--scientists can say that the source was located in the Southern Hemisphere.
"I would never consider my evaluation of his work to be fair minded unless I had actually read his own words." - Dave Hawkins

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Re: LIGO finds 'em!!
Reply #1
E = mc2 ... times 50.    :staregonk:

nononono ....

Euniverse(visible) * 50 =  3 * msun * c2
  • Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:00:23 AM by MikeS

Reply #2
Yeah, when you see some of the numbers that come out of the energy calculations associated with large stellar events (which are relatively routine on a cosmic scale), it really impresses just how tiny we are. 

• F X
  • Needs a Life
  • The one and only

Reply #3
Cool animation of the event on the Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #4
So a gravitational wave propagated out by 1.3 billion light years can MOVE the entire solar system half the width of a hair as the wave travels across space.

So if propagation reduces the wave amplitude by the cube of distance in space then imagine being close to one of these events.

Reply #5
Yeah. I wonder how close an earth like planet would have to be for this to say, cause earthquakes. That said, the jolt would be extremely rapid.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
Yeah. I wonder how close an earth like planet would have to be for this to say, cause earthquakes. That said, the jolt would be extremely rapid.
The actual gravity wave would be brief, but breaking the fault-line bonds and causing multiple earthquakes would be an echo event for weeks/months or even years.

• Peez

Reply #7
...Which brings me to the Hubble Space Telescope's newest images. If it's wonder that you're looking for, and mystery, don't just scan the photographs. Stop and think about them. Try to imagine the scale. The Earth is just a speck of dust on one distant whirling tentacle of the Milky Way galaxy, which contains billions of stars. A 'collision' of galaxies seems unimaginably large - and yet it is something scientists long ago imagined... The imaginings of pseudoscience are feeble by comparison.
--Mark Bowden, writing in the Philadelphia Inquirer on recent images from the Hubble Space Telescope
linkity