Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: What Movie have you watched lately? (Read 2072 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad

Re: What Movie have you watched lately?
Reply #25
X-Men Apocalypse - Brian Singer must die  :devil3:

• Photon
  • Needs a Life
  • I interfere with myself

Reply #26
There's a growing list of movies that I'm appreciating Scarlett Johannsen's acting prowess too. And in Her, you only get her voice.

Under the skin is awesome

So is Lost in translation

Agree.  Under the Skin was unsettling and cool. She played it very unemotionally, most psychopathic (for obvious reasons).

Reply #27
"Purge:  Election Year."  Pretty dumb-ass teenage horror shit but fun nevertheless.  Never saw the second one, "Purge: Anarchy" but now I want to.  It's pretty ingenious - solve social problems through ritual murder.  Seems a little dated though since the Presidential Candidate of the "New Founding Fathers," i.e., the people who instituted the annual purge, is a Mitt Romney lookalike motherfucker.  Elizabeth Mitchell is awesome for people who get turned on by women in glasses but other than getting grabbed and screaming she doesn't have much to do.  She was better as the crazy psychiatrist on ER who was fucking Kerry. 

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #28
Ghost Town.

It didn't suck.  Sappy predictable ending, but if you can suspend disbelief it's a fun corny cheesy feelgood ghost movie.

Reply #29
The nice guys.  Nearly didn't watch due to Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling, but they were good.  Good movie, love the 70s

Reply #30
any of yas ever seen "The Human Centipede"?  Pretty damn bad but like a car wreck you can't turn away.

Reply #31
Ghostbusters 2016 did not ruin the 80's for me. In fact, I liked it a lot.

• Monad

Reply #32
Planning to see the new Star Trek this weekend - hated the reboot and didn't bother with the last one but this looks the first that might be worth watching.

Also Suicide Squad looks like the first DC based film I'm actually looking forwards to seeing.

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Giddyup America!

Reply #33
Um, not new but watching Shallow Hal for the third or forth time. I always liked it but something new just occurred to me. Hal sees his hotty neighbor Jill the same way when he is and is not under the "hypnotism".

This suggests that she's both beautiful on the inside and outside which is confirmed when they go to dinner near the end of the movie and reveals she didn't want to continue dating him because he was incredibly shallow. Interesting way to even out the keel I suppose as without her, and of course disregarding the very minor background characters, the movie might be seeming to say that good looking people are ugly on the inside and vice versa. Not really a earth shattering insight, but a small epiphany I decided to share because I'm really freakin' bored.

Oh, and the reveal of little Cadence at the end, jesus f'n christ.
  • Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:19:27 PM by Doobie Keebler

Reply #34
10 Cloverfield Lane

John Goodman is good. The other actors could have been better. Movie not weird enough.

• Monad

Reply #35
10 Cloverfield Lane

John Goodman is good. The other actors could have been better. Movie not weird enough.

I only really liked the final scenes which were more scifi and interesting - tbh once watched though I can't see the point of watching it again as it's one of those films if you know the ending it really spoils the whole thing

Reply #36
yes, absolutely

would only recommend it to people who were fans of JG

• Monad

Reply #37
OK Suicide Squad - a mixed bag really. I loved Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn and the usually dire Will Smith was actually OK in this. I also thought the villains were of a power level I would like to see more of in a super hero movie, although pitting them against a bunch of people with guns and baseball bats (and a boomerang) was pretty ridiculous. Ironically Incubus was closer to the powers Apocalypse should have had (and does have in comics) but didn't in the stupid X-Men Apocalypse. What sucked was how much they piled on the schmaltz all over the place, particularly in the final scene. It was just too fucking nice and happy endingy with all the baddies coming through for their friends and the team and horrible over powering emotion-music (all in slow motion too) - it was so heavy handed I could have puked. The soundtrack was trying too hard, the humour was there in places but too erratic and easy. Also too many back story scenes wasting time. Enjoyed most of it till the ending though but not sure I could sit through it again.

Oh yeah there was that one moment 2/3 way through where they suddenly 'came together' as a team that was just ripped from Avenger's Assemble.

Eta first time I've seen Affleck as Fatman
  • Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:51:15 AM by Monad

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #38
So, it lived up to it's reviews.  Still, it took in $135MM in it's first week.
Outside of Batman, the DC Universe is pretty tame/lame compared to Marvel.  And it takes a very good writer/producer to spruce it up to be competative.

Reply #39
Outside of Batman, the DC Universe is pretty tame/lame compared to Marvel.  And it takes a very good writer/producer to spruce it up to be competative.

That's by design.  Stan Lee stole DC's characters and plots and amped 'em up.  DC is to Marvel as Heinlein is to Asimov. 

• Monad

Reply #40
Watched Star Trek Beyond today - we had the whole movie theatre to ourselves, no one else there! I enjoyed it better than the first rebooted one (didn't watch the second) and I did enjoy the first few battles and some of the technology - especially the whole swarm based attack mode was cool (although has been done before) and so was the depiction of what was essentially an an Iain Banksian Orbital. What really let it down for me was the 'villian' was just unconvincing, I really couldn't make out his motivation and then they added an extra twist at the end that made it even more incomprehensible. Plus much as I love Sabotage but that final battle was just daft. The script was pretty dumb too in places.
  • Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:09:52 PM by Monad

Reply #41

That's by design.  Stan Lee stole DC's characters and plots and amped 'em up.  DC is to Marvel as Heinlein is to Asimov. 

I fell in love with Farmer in The Sky as a kid. But never Asimov.
Those demons scream in ecstasy.
And you crawl around in agony.
Doctor jeers and fades away, yeah.
This is the price that you must pay...

Reply #42
I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the theater last week. Landmark. Sofa seating. It was nice.

The movie was pretty enjoyable. All the best scenes have one character or another killing a wild boar. Awesome haiku. "Kingi you wanker / You arsehole, I hate you heaps / Please die soon, in pain." Also, Rhys Darby as Psycho Sam.

Reply #43

I fell in love with Farmer in The Sky as a kid. But never Asimov.

Lion, considering your ideology that's as predictable as rainfall in Western Oregon. 

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #44
Not a movie, but a miniseries on HBO.
The Night Of

A friend recommended it, says it's really interesting look at the justice system.

Premise:  Young guy hooks up with a chick, they go to her house, do drugs & have consensual sex, he passes out. When he wakes up he finds her stabbed to death.  He panics, tries to hide evidence, and makes himself look even guiltier than he already does. He gets pulled over for making an illegal left turn, and it all goes to shit.

I've watched the first episode, and by the end, he finally has a lawyer after telling the cops way too much.

If you liked Making a Murderer, or Serial this seems to be in that genre (except it's fiction).

eta:  Just read in the IMDB trivia that it's based on a British series call Criminal Justice.
  • Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:38:30 AM by SkepticTank

Reply #45
I've had an excellent year for cinema so far.

In the cinema I've seen Ghostbusters, Civil War, Hunt for the Wilder People, Star Trek Beyond, Deadpool and Hail Caesar. I've enjoyed everyone of them, though Star Trek still has a way to go. Beyond is an improvement over the last two, but it's still pretty superficial.......and motorbikes. The rest of those I'd be very happy to watch again.

I also had a "terrible movie night". I got three terrible films and had a marathon. Fant4stic, Batman V Superman and London has Fallen. London has Fallen was typical 1980's style action schlock. Fant4stic badly needed a personality transplant and better direction. Those two were just predictably bad. Batman V Superman was the true surprise though. That film was such a clusterfuck I can see it becoming compulsory viewing for arts students so they know what not to do. It was bad on a level I've rarely seen, where it went beyond bad acting, simplistic plots and poor development to become an almost surreal experience. Most enjoyable was watching my partner watching it, as she didn't have the benefit of a synopsis. The level of WTF's was fun to watch.

Well worth watching - perhaps as a surreal comedy and drinking game
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #46
I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the theater last week. Landmark. Sofa seating. It was nice.

The movie was pretty enjoyable. All the best scenes have one character or another killing a wild boar. Awesome haiku. "Kingi you wanker / You arsehole, I hate you heaps / Please die soon, in pain." Also, Rhys Darby as Psycho Sam.

That movie was magestical, bru.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

Reply #47
I've had an excellent year for cinema so far.

In the cinema I've seen Ghostbusters, Civil War, Hunt for the Wilder People, Star Trek Beyond, Deadpool and Hail Caesar. I've enjoyed everyone of them, though Star Trek still has a way to go. Beyond is an improvement over the last two, but it's still pretty superficial.......and motorbikes. The rest of those I'd be very happy to watch again.

I also had a "terrible movie night". I got three terrible films and had a marathon. Fant4stic, Batman V Superman and London has Fallen. London has Fallen was typical 1980's style action schlock. Fant4stic badly needed a personality transplant and better direction. Those two were just predictably bad. Batman V Superman was the true surprise though. That film was such a clusterfuck I can see it becoming compulsory viewing for arts students so they know what not to do. It was bad on a level I've rarely seen, where it went beyond bad acting, simplistic plots and poor development to become an almost surreal experience. Most enjoyable was watching my partner watching it, as she didn't have the benefit of a synopsis. The level of WTF's was fun to watch.

Well worth watching - perhaps as a surreal comedy and drinking game
Batman v Superman, was that the one called civil war? With the winter soldier?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #48
I don't want to see London Has Fallen, because I didn't want a sequel to Olympus Has Fallen. I wanted a sequel to White House Down. Mayube they're holding out until 2017 when Obama's no longer in a job?

Anyway, just got back from seeing Finding Dory with the flatmates. Loved it.  Because, y'know its Pixar, and they don't seem to be able to make an awful film. Even the bad ones are good compared to the competition, and only seem bad because you're comparing them to what you know they're capable of. Highlights for me included Sigourney Weaver, Idris Elba (I didn't realise it was him until the credits and then kicked myself for not noticing), and because Sigourney was in it there was an Alien shoutout.
Why do I bother?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #49
Not a movie, but a miniseries on HBO.
The Night Of

John Turturro as the sleazeball defense attorney is awesome.  He looks just like he did as Knish in rounders (but 20 years older) and nothing like The Jesus in Big Lebowski. Strangely his eczema is as much of a character in the series as the protagonist.

Also shaving your head, doing 10 push-ups and one boxing lesson in prison suddenly makes you a badass.  Good to know.