Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational > Discussion > Politics and Current Affairs > And what did the princess do that was so horrible?

Topic: Former USC Med School Dean's Double Life (Read 391 times) previous topic - next topic

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Former USC Med School Dean's Double Life
This piece is fucking bonkers: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-usc-doctor-20170717-htmlstory.html

In USC's lecture halls, labs and executive offices, Dr. Carmen A. Puliafito was a towering figure. The dean of the Keck School of Medicine was a renowned eye surgeon whose skill in the operating room was matched by a gift for attracting money and talent to the university.

There was another side to the Harvard-educated physician.

During his tenure as dean, Puliafito kept company with a circle of criminals and drug users who said he used methamphetamine and other drugs with them, a Los Angeles Times investigation found.

Puliafito, 66, and these much younger acquaintances captured their exploits in photos and videos. The Times reviewed dozens of the images.

Shot in 2015 and 2016, they show Puliafito and the others partying in hotel rooms, cars, apartments and the dean's office at USC.

In one video, a tuxedo-clad Puliafito displays an orange pill on his tongue and says into the camera, "Thought I'd take an ecstasy before the ball." Then he swallows the pill.

In another, Puliafito uses a butane torch to heat a large glass pipe outfitted for methamphetamine use. He inhales and then unleashes a thick plume of white smoke. Seated next to him on a sofa, a young woman smokes heroin from a piece of heated foil.

As dean, Puliafito oversaw hundreds of medical students, thousands of professors and clinicians, and research grants totaling more than $200 million. He was a key fundraiser for USC, bringing in more than $1 billion in donations, by his estimation.

Puliafito resigned his $1.1-million-a-year post in March 2016, in the middle of the spring term, saying he wanted to explore outside opportunities.

Three weeks earlier, a 21-year-old woman had overdosed in his presence in a Pasadena hotel room. The woman was rushed to a hospital, where she recovered. Police found methamphetamine in the hotel room, according to a police report, but made no arrests. Puliafito has never spoken publicly about the incident, which is being reported here for the first time.

Puliafito, a native of Buffalo, N.Y., who graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Medical School, had helped invent a laser technology -- optical coherence tomography -- that revolutionized the way doctors around the world diagnose and treat eye disease.

omg this lunatic invented the OCT we use every day at the facility :psyduck:

• borealis
  • Administrator
Re: Former USC Med School Dean's Double Life
Reply #1
Obviously performance enhancing drugs then.  :ohmy:

• MikeS
Reply #2
Sounds like he had pretty good control and didn't take too much too many times for addiction and/or dependence.  Recreational use and "living on the edge" type of thrill.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #3
If you only knew the number and extent of wealthy people, or powerful people, who use drugs ... and do the most ubelievable batshit fucking insane shit ...

Judges, cops, politicians, NASA engineers, nuclear engineers, Arab billionaires, high ranking religious leaders, business men, cult leaders, it goes on and on and on

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #4
Business people do drugs?!

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #5
Business people do drugs?!
??
If they were/are, I, as a business person certainly wasn't getting my share.

Oh, wait, I was taking methadone from 1999 until 2009. But that wasn't recreational. It was for purely medical purposes. Hell, I had to get tested regularly (every year or two) to make sure the drugs were going into me and not out on the street.

This article is talking about recreational use.
Are we there yet?

• ksen
Reply #6
And he was the dean of a medical school?

The Kek Medical School? :hmm:

Did he also occupy the Hunter S. Thompson Chair at the school?

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #7
I am no longer in the black market performance enhancement industry (ie steroids/HGH), but an associate (who still is) sold Puliafito several vials of somatropin some years ago. Which was odd, because Puliafito could have written an Rx for it himself.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Reply #8
This in no way damages my opinion of him.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #9
This in no way damages my opinion of him.

Lol okay buddy.

• nesb
Reply #10
Sounds like he had pretty good control and didn't take too much too many times for addiction and/or dependence.  Recreational use and "living on the edge" type of thrill.

His drug buddy said he hung out with her constantly. I'm not sure he was smoking meth all that time, but it seems like if you make over a mil a year, most the normal consequences of meth addiction probably don't apply to you.

Reply #11

His drug buddy said he hung out with her constantly. I'm not sure he was smoking meth all that time, but it seems like if you make over a mil a year, most the normal consequences of meth addiction probably don't apply to you.
Meth addiction does pretty much the same thing to everyone. He was into variety.

• MikeS
Reply #12

Meth addiction does pretty much the same thing to everyone. He was into variety.
This.

A wealthy addict just avoids the lack of money (for some time), but the addiction still consumes you so that you eventually cannot function at all and end up losing your job.

Reply #13
it's a straightforward wasting disease.

Reply #14
Gotta give my brother shit about this. Also been giving shit to my buddy who works in that faculty,

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #15
Given the cover up by the school and the possible cover ups by the cops, I'd be interested to find out whether there actually were any board complaints and what may have happened with those.

• Monad
Reply #16
I always thought you don't really get to fully embrace the role of school dean until you've snorted coke from a hooker's ass cheek

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #17
I am no longer in the black market performance enhancement industry (ie steroids/HGH), but an associate (who still is) sold Puliafito several vials of somatropin some years ago. Which was odd, because Puliafito could have written an Rx for it himself.

you sold? manufactured?

• ksen
Reply #18
So did this guy's partying habits actually affect his work?

If it didn't then I'm not sure what the big deal is . . . well, other than the legality of it but that's probably more of a reflection on our dumb drug laws than on this guy.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #19
Yeah I don't see what's so terrible about and old man fucking a 20 year old and giving her drugs and money so she'll hang around and checking her out of the hospital after an OD to then give her more drugs and giving drugs to people in rehab and having people on drugs drive your car around. Oh also while having a wife on the side. And I'm sure none of it ever affected his work in any way even though he was repeatedly accused of sexual harassment.

He was just having fun. What's the big deal?

You guys are so cool.

Reply #20
Speaking as a man, I totally missed that part of the story.

• ksen
Reply #21
My spidey senses are tingling.

Reply #22
Yeah I don't see what's so terrible about and old man fucking a 20 year old and giving her drugs and money so she'll hang around and checking her out of the hospital after an OD to then give her more drugs and giving drugs to people in rehab and having people on drugs drive your car around. Oh also while having a wife on the side. And I'm sure none of it ever affected his work in any way even though he was repeatedly accused of sexual harassment.

He was just having fun. What's the big deal?

You guys are so cool.

Yeah there's no version of this story where this guy wasn't using his position and medical license in a way that put lives at risk.

• ToThePoint
  • search & destroy
Reply #23

you sold? manufactured?

This was sales.  My role was something of a roaming conduit; having forged connections with some unscrupulous individuals at 3 of the top major US pharmaceutical distributors, along with several cooperative independent pharmacists; a backchannel to expedite getting the products into the hands of the consumers, by eliminating those pesky physician middlemen. Especially since there were very few MDs willing to write scripts for AAS anyway.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• MikeS
Reply #24

you sold? manufactured?

This was sales.  My role was something of a roaming conduit; having forged connections with some unscrupulous individuals at 3 of the top major US pharmaceutical distributors, along with several cooperative independent pharmacists; a backchannel to expedite getting the products into the hands of the consumers, by eliminating those pesky physician middlemen. Especially since there were very few MDs willing to write scripts for AAS anyway.