Reply #125
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Re: The Cat Thread
Reply #126
Serious useful post:

I want one of these:

I have to check and see which brand my neighbour has, this one looks exactly like it. I was skeptical when she got it, but that was eight years ago and it still works great. I look after her pets when she's away, and this thing takes most of the pain out of kitty shit collecting.   ...
Ah!
A high-tech litter box!

At first glance I thought it was an iron lung for cats* !

* fun virological factoid: cats don't get polio!
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Doobie Keebler
  • I've got a lot of problems with you people
Reply #127
"I'm over 70 and have never seen such , arrogance, incompetence and Ill -intentions as this President and his aids."    The Dotard     (posted 12 days after his 68th birthday)

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #128

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #129
Those cats like him.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen

• Pingu
Reply #131
My cat isn't well :(

Off his feed, and yowling.  I took him to the vet, who did a blood test and said he's mostly fine except his white count is up and his teeth are not in good shape.

An antibiotic seems to have cheered him up, but he's still yowling.  At least he ate some dinner.

He's 16.  I think this may be the beginning of the end :(
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #132
:(

Poor kitty. Did they say whether they think the teeth might be causing the elevated WBC? Hopefully the antibiotic will get things under control and get him feeling better. Poor little buddy.

• ffejrxx
Reply #133
white count up is some kind of infection or injury, could be due to his bad teeth
but look him over for other possible injuries

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #134
I hope kitty gets better, Pingu. Maybe the yowling is from hurting teeth.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #135
I mean, obviously, I can't really say anything with any certainty from reading a few words on the internet, but pain and going off feed are often things you see with severe dental disease. Lots of animals will drop food and pick it up and drop it again if it's hard food because it's just painful to eat. But obviously the actual vet who saw the actual cat in person would have a better idea of what could be wrong.

Also cats are fucking weird.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #136
Evidence points to there being nothing at all wrong with my cat's teeth. He is a glutton.

Reply #137
My cat isn't well :(

Off his feed, and yowling.  I took him to the vet, who did a blood test and said he's mostly fine except his white count is up and his teeth are not in good shape.

An antibiotic seems to have cheered him up, but he's still yowling.  At least he ate some dinner.

He's 16.  I think this may be the beginning of the end :(
Sorry. Damnit, we know we will likely outlive them but the reality of that isn't any better because it's reality.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #138
My Cats are also cute. For sadistic murder-fetishists. Last summer I was forced to post this elsewhere:

The yearly reign of terror that occurs in my back yard every summer is in full swing. Authorities seem powerless to stop the serial-killers from striking seemingly at will.

Profiling suggests we are dealing with one or more high-functioning psychopaths, extremely sadistic individuals with a fetish for gruesome trophies. The victims differ, but for those that can read the signs it is clear that they are not selected at random: our serial killer(s) target the young, the fluffy, the adorable disproportionally. Other targets include familiar and well-liked individuals, and occasionally targets that we felt were safe because of their size and strength.

I have already learned not to try and grab a kiwi from the fruit bowl without first examining it carefully for ears and a tail, as that is where little murdered bank voles are regularly deposited. Clearly, the perps are trying to mock our inability to stop them, shocking us with associations: ripe fruit and murdered youth, the transience of life, the inevitability of decay...

Last week we found the pigeon that used to hang out feeding from the Ivy that grows over the back wall, savagely disemboweled in the most gruesome way and left there in the middle of the grass. It's wings outspread in a mockery of flight, it's poor body ending above the mid-section, entrails deliberately spread across the grass. The absurdly angelic image of the peaceful dove with wings spread, reaching for a now unattainable heaven, as if it is trying to ascend from the horribly distorted remains that are all that is left of the rest of it's body.

They are speaking to us in symbols of horror and death, forcing us to observe their gruesome artwork. These are not random acts of violence. They are toying with us.

Later, when I stepped into the side-room, I found what looked like the remains of some dark Lovecraftian ritual: ripped-out feathers strewn around an ominously empty center where the gruesome sacrifice had no doubt taken place. What made it even more sinister was that there was no trace left of the victim apart from these feathers.

Our murderer(s) are evolving as the cycle continues, expressing his (or their) gruesome body-part fetish in more and more disturbing ways. They are drawing our attention to what is missing, what has been brutally taken away from these carefully choreographed scenes of violence and torture.

They are trying to get into our heads. And it is working.

A large pair of rodent rear-legs was discovered in the shed - most likely all that is left of a rat. And not a small rat either. Placed tauntingly on top of the laundry-basket, the murderer(s) clearly wanted us to witness the desecration of all that is clean, the futility of flight, the brutal theft of all identity as nothing but an anonymous pair of hind legs remain.

It is not safe to go out barefoot to the shed anymore, in the dark. They are watching us.

The rook that used to hang out on the roof was next. This time, nothing was taken. The body, discovered by locals near the patio area, was not even marked. Where the perpetrators interrupted before they could finish their usual desecrations? Is this an unrelated crime, or even an accidental death? Or are they showing us that even a bird of this considerable size can be taken without any signs of struggle, that they can kill without apparent effort, at will, without noise, right on our doorstep?

At night, we lie awake, and the images of the slain return in vivid, garish color. They have been seared right into our psyches. And then I realize they know that I lie here tossing and turning. They know, that I know, that they can violate even my very MIND.

I can almost hear their dark laughter echoing somewhere inside my soul. And the summer has barely started.

Reply #139

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #140
Nova Scotia is enacting a law to make it illegal to declaw cats in the province.  :clap:

Very few vets here will do it, but this means they don't have to argue with owners who want it done.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #141
Nova Scotia is enacting a law to make it illegal to declaw cats in the province.  :clap:

Very few vets here will do it, but this means they don't have to argue with owners who want it done.
Only if the humans agree to have their nails pulled. Fingers and toes.
Are we there yet?

• nostrum
  • easily led
Reply #142
it's worse than that, though

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #143

Wish it were banned here because having to deal with this shit in practice is awful. The last place I worked at used to do it, and I hated it.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #144

It's more like cutting off the last joint of every one of your fingers and toes. It's a horrible practice.

• RAFH
  • Have a life, already.
Reply #145

It's more like cutting off the last joint of every one of your fingers and toes. It's a horrible practice.
Not to mention it leaves the cat nearly defenseless and unable to climb.
Are we there yet?

• ffejrxx
Reply #146
iv had several indoor cats with claws
none scratched up furnature/walls/doors/people ect..
just take care of them, get scratch posts/toys and trim them when needed

Reply #147
Yeah that's fecking barbaric. Over here they have banned tail and ear docking too for dogs. You want to cut bits off a dog, you need to have a sound medical reason to do so. Good thing too. And bonus: you see more and more Dobermans here that now basically look like weaponized Dachshunds.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #148
 The first time I saw a doberman with intact ears I didn't recognise the breed at all.

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #149