Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: The strut of irrelevance, the pomp of ineffectuality.

Topic: Child marriage in the US (Read 171 times) previous topic - next topic

• Monad
Child marriage in the US
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-41727495/why-does-the-us-have-so-many-child-brides

I'm surprised about the extent of this, I had no idea this was a 'thing' except maybe in some weird sects like Mormons and even then I thought it was illegal. So the US has no legal age limits for sex either? And yet I've seen cases of guys prosecuted for sex with a minor or child rape so is that just because it varies from state to state?

• Faid
Re: Child marriage in the US
Reply #1
What the FUCK
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Faid
Reply #2
How on earth is this a thing in 21st century USA? And why don't more people talk about it?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• Monad
Reply #3
My thoughts exactly

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #4
So the US has no legal age limits for sex either? And yet I've seen cases of guys prosecuted for sex with a minor or child rape so is that just because it varies from state to state?
I'm guessing that "marriage" is the key variable here.  You can diddle a little kid all you want if she's married to you (which typically means her parents have agreed to force her to marry you).  Those prosecutions you're talking about are only when the perp and victim are not married.

Emphasis on "guessing".  I am not a lawyer.  Or a social worker.  Or anything relevant.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #5
isn't it every little girl's dream to get married?  why are you guys being so negative about children living their dreams?

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #6
I think it is state-by-state*, so there will be some states with archaic laws, and some freak communities where it is still practiced.  obviously, it is horrific, legalized sexual slavery.  but because this country has such a talent for inertia, I doubt this is going away any time soon.

* i.e., one of the things the federal government is arguably barred from involvement in by the 10th amendment**
** though, as I say this, I realize the (federal) supreme court did intervene to legalize same-sex marriage.  also, "put the states in charge of marriage" is a tea party talking point, so the idea is probably at best debatable.

Reply #7
Typically what makes it "legal" in some states is parental consent to the marriage

Reply #8

Age of consent by state.  Didn't know so many were 16. 

• Monad
Reply #9
And yet 22 states have marriage as young as 11

• Faid
Reply #10
I suspect the "argument" for that is some kind of reverse slippery slope: "If we don't tell kids what's good for them and force them to do it, there's no telling what will happen. First it's 'I don't wanna marry that boy who raped me', then it'll be 'I don't wanna do my homework or eat my broccoli'."