Topic: this 401(k) shit (Read 1509 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: this 401(k) shit
Reply #100
Because El Guapo.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #101
by picking up the tab for insurer losses due to the repeal of the mandate, it indirectly puts public on the hook for insuring the high risk uninsurables.  from there, it is a smaller political leap to cut out the private insurers and have a public insurance program, at least for the high risk people. 

that change would be similar to what obama did successfully with student loans: cutting out the useless private lender middle men.  it was not hard to make the political case by pointing out that the federal insurance for loan defaults already put the public on the hook for losses, making the private lenders useless middlemen who make risk-free profit at the expense of the tax-payers.  you could use similar arguments here.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #102

This would literally - no joke or exaggeration - ruin my life and destroy my profession.

• el jefe
Reply #103
oh my god I hate them so much

Reply #104

This would literally - no joke or exaggeration - ruin my life and destroy my profession.

Steve Gunderson, CEO and president of Career Education Colleges and Universities, said he is eager to eliminate the gainful employment rule, because it scrutinizes graduate outcomes almost exclusively at for-profit colleges.

The GOP is intentionally destroying this country and crippling it for decades to come

• el jefe
Reply #105
cautiously optimistic that this vote to move the bill out of committee doesn't mean much.  they're dangling possible deals in front of the holdouts, who are willing to move the bill to the floor in a sign they are negotiating in good faith (i.e., corker and johnson do ultimately want a tax bill to pass, they just have conditions for that).  however,  when you're dangling multiple possible deals in front of people, you don't have to address the contradictions between them.  you can no longer avoid it when you put actual language on the floor and hold a vote.  johnson and corker's demands are more or less contradictory, and I don't think either of them is bluffing.

I do think some kind of tax bill will ultimately pass both chambers, but I don't see how it doesn't get severely watered-down to satisfy all these holdouts.  I think most/all are willing to compromise, but not just cave.  and reducing the size of both the tax cuts and the offsets is the only way I see them winning over enough votes to pass.

also, I have been toying with a pet theory that some gop senators, while realizing the failure of the tax bill would be really bad for the party near-term, might also see it as a tolerable price for de-trumpifying the party.  there would be a lot of collateral damage in the interim.  so, I'm thinking of senators who are not up for re-election until 2022, or ever again, thus personally avoiding the storm.  and we want senators who dislike trump and/or the bill.

obviously, mccain, corker, and flake are all candidates here, since none of them will be running for re-election and all hate trump.

murkowski, johnson, rubio, lankford, toomey, and Portman are all gop senators who have 5 years until their next election.  murkowski and johnson have been discussed a lot as holdouts.  lankford has been sometimes mentioned too.  I have a feeling murkowski will vote for this piece of shit bill, because of signals she's giving, and because they're dangling ANWR drilling in front of her. ...  johnson, interestingly, has pushed back at the idea that failing on the tax bill is a disaster for the gop.  downplaying the costs of failure lays the groundwork for messaging the failure, and suggests he's given thought to how to deal with it.  I assume not having another race until after 2020 plays a big role in his thinking.

dark horses:
toomey and Portman, representing blue and purple states, might put up a fight over cutting state tax deductions as a pay-for.  that would seriously constrain negotiations with the sincere budget hawks.

and then there's rubio.  he hasn't made much anti-trump noise lately, and, afaik, hasn't said anything negative about this bill.  but I am guessing he hates trump both personally and politically, and would love to see his presidency go down in flames.  I am guessing he also harbors thoughts of running again in 2020, which would be easier if trump fails on this tax bill.
  • Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:43:22 AM by el jefe

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #106
lol at you thinking pat toomey isn't a complete piece of garbage and that he actually gives a single solitary lonely little fuck about his constituents

toomey is a hard-liner radical fully in bed with the trumpeteers, regardless of what color PA is

• el jefe
Reply #107
I think he cares about getting re-elected, and I think voting to raise his constituents' taxes hurts his chances of that

eta:  the reason PA being blue matters is that people in blue states generally (and I'm guessing PA is included in this) get screwed by cuts to the state income tax deduction
  • Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:10:05 AM by el jefe

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #108
bad news for you, friend - he's not up again until 2022 and he has zero fucks to give.

• el jefe
Reply #109
historically, "my opponent raised your taxes" has been a pretty effective attack, especially when it is true

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #110
you're talking about a guy who hasn't held a town hall in the entire fucking state since 2013. idk how else to communicate to you that pat toomey is a piece of shit who doesn't give a fuck and that the state of pennsylvania, which barely has any fucking state taxes to begin with, will continue to support him anyway.

• el jefe
Reply #111
if PA's state taxes are low in the first place, then I agree, there's no reason for him to want to keep the deduction

Reply #112
you're talking about a guy who hasn't held a town hall in the entire fucking state since 2013. idk how else to communicate to you that pat toomey is a piece of shit who doesn't give a fuck and that the state of pennsylvania, which barely has any fucking state taxes to begin with, will continue to support him anyway.
he also takes all of his phones off the hook whenever there's a big "call your senators!" push

this country is completely fucked, enjoy the ride to fascism everybody, there's no coming back from the complete destruction of norms and institutions

• el jefe
Reply #113
imo institutions are proving relatively robust.  norms are being fucked 6 ways to sunday.  even at my most guaptimistic, I cannot find excuses to believe they will recover.

• el jefe
Reply #114
trump's tweet seems to have screwed his own party again

the other day, he tweeted out that he didn't see a possible deal with the democrats in the meeting they were about to have.  so schumer and Pelosi said "ok, fuck you" and cancelled.

were they going to be helpful to trump at this meeting?  probably not.  they want the gop's position to collapse during the year-end legislative logjam, giving them leverage to defeat some things and force favorable terms on others.  that was true before and hasn't changed.  but they had been constrained to at least look like they were trying, and he gave them political cover to back out. 

this has reportedly led to a delay in budget bill negotiations, which were already looking difficult for the gop.  this indirectly affects the tax bill, because time is not on their side for like 3 different reasons.  they are trying to move several big pieces of legislation before end of year, and the longer it takes to finish any one thing, the harder it is to succeed at everything else.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #115
  • Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:36:59 AM by VoxRat
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• el jefe
Reply #116
oh yeah, they've made it abundantly clear that they hate book learnin and don't trust people who do it

Reply #118

Steve Gunderson, CEO and president of Career Education Colleges and Universities, said he is eager to eliminate the gainful employment rule, because it scrutinizes graduate outcomes almost exclusively at for-profit colleges.

The GOP is intentionally destroying this country and crippling it for decades to come
Yeah. This is really a problem.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #119
Has anyone here noted the proposed taxation of tuition waivers for graduate students?

Oh - also the elimination of the deduction for interest on student loans.

#MAGA
But they'll get to deduct expenses for their private jets! #priorities

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #120
Lol this turd of a bill is going to pass, and my taxes are going to go up by a couple thousand, and millions of people will be fucked and the individual healthcare market is going to blow up

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #121
Lol this turd of a bill is going to pass, and my taxes are going to go up by a couple thousand, and millions of people will be fucked and the individual healthcare market is going to blow up
but    :thisisfine:

#MAGA
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

Reply #122

lol look how triggered this dumb lib is OWNED much?  :smug:

Reply #123
Kansas, but for everyone.

Yellowstone Supervolcano 2018

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #124

lol look how triggered this dumb lib is OWNED much?  :smug:

sometimes i think about how many of my in laws voted for this demented piece of shit president and for other republicans and still support the GOP and how my SIL still won't talk to me (because i'm a threat to her children's safety!!!!!!!111111) and then my nose starts to bleed