Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: World Headquarters of the Universal Post-Atheist Church

Topic: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World) (Read 145117 times) previous topic - next topic

JonF, RAFH, Alfonso Bivouac (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Re: Economics of "Saving Agriculture" (Thereby Saving the World)
Reply #29950
You're an idiot Vox

Reply #29951
And yes it was completely accurate. I don't lie and spin like you do.

Reply #29952
And no I'm not planning on selling more than one share until I see how it goes with the first shareholder. I have never sold a cow share before in my life so I certainly don't want to open it up on a large scale before I test it out on a small scale. Seems like you could figure out basic stuff like this without me having to explain it to you.

Reply #29953
And no I'm not planning on selling more than one share until I see how it goes with the first shareholder. I have never sold a cow share before in my life so I certainly don't want to open it up on a large scale before I test it out on a small scale. Seems like you could figure out basic stuff like this without me having to explain it to you.
Figure out what? You expect us to know that when you say "I'm going to sell 1/7 shares", that we should know you mean "I'm going to sell 1 now and not attempt to sell more until later" magically?

We're not mindreaders, Dave. The natural implication is that you plan to sell shares, period.

Reply #29954
You really think this.

Reply #29955
I'm using Siri so pardon the typos. I wonder how many food calories I will have produced this year? 400000 is a pretty conservative figure I think. I see no reason these goats will not continue to produce milk right up until about a month before they kid. If you do hand grenade math and just assume 15 gallons per month times 11 months that's 165 gallons and it's about 2600 calories per gallon so that's over 400,000. And what's interesting about my operation is that these food calories are nearly complete food calories. Testy likes to say what an idiot I am and style himself as being much better at sustainable agriculture, but I seriously doubt testy has come anywhere close to this figure in "near complete food" calorie production.

• Faid
Reply #29956
How much iron is there in milk, dave?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

Reply #29957
Lol.
Btw, whatbreed of cow is it again? If I was doing just one, it'd be a jersey
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #29958
Guernsey

Reply #29959
I'm using Siri so pardon the typos. I wonder how many food calories I will have produced this year? 400000 is a pretty conservative figure I think. I see no reason these goats will not continue to produce milk right up until about a month before they kid. If you do hand grenade math and just assume 15 gallons per month times 11 months that's 165 gallons and it's about 2600 calories per gallon so that's over 400,000. And what's interesting about my operation is that these food calories are nearly complete food calories. Testy likes to say what an idiot I am and style himself as being much better at sustainable agriculture, but I seriously doubt testy has come anywhere close to this figure in "near complete food" calorie production.

According to Wiki, "Guernsey cows produce around 6000 litres per cow per year." Wiki cites to http://www.studbook.co.za/Society/guernsey/ which says 5942. I'm assuming there's some variance. However, that's still 10 times as much as you claim to produce.

Now, I know about nothing about dairy farming. But that's an enormous disparity. Do you have an explanation?

Reply #29960
165 gallons is for my dairy goats

My Guernsey cow will produce about 600 on 100% grass

Reply #29961
Ah, of course, my mistake. Sorry, I'm a bit tired here.

600 is still about half of what's expected (closer to 1/3, actually); you think 100% grass will change milk production that much? Or are you getting a small cow?

• RickB
Reply #29962

According to Wiki, "Guernsey cows produce around 6000 litres per cow per year." Wiki cites to http://www.studbook.co.za/Society/guernsey/ which says 5942. I'm assuming there's some variance. However, that's still 10 times as much as you claim to produce.

Now, I know about nothing about dairy farming. But that's an enormous disparity. Do you have an explanation?

I may be in error, but you 'seem' to be confusing Dave's assumed (and yes he did say assumed, 'cause he doesn't keep useless records) goat milk production with his idealized cow milk production.

ETA:  uncool caught his error (sort of).  But no problems.
  • Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:19:17 PM by RickB

• RickB
Reply #29963
165 gallons is for my dairy goats

My Guernsey cow will produce about 600 on 100% grass

I guess that the reduction is because of the assumed agriculturally degraded state of your pasture, right Dave?  But if we assume the agriculturally degraded state of your pasture why do you assume that the nutritional content of your goat's milk is even close to the published averages?  I mean you assumed that your goat's milk had the same Vitamin D as vitamin D SUPPLEMENTED milk, but did not explain or revise your estimates of any other nutrients.  You just assumed that they were the same as the published figures for goat's milk.

In essence you claimed that you cat piss contaminated goats milk was the same as everyone else's  goats milk offered on the planet.

Reply #29964

600 is still about half of what's expected (closer to 1/3, actually); you think 100% grass will change milk production that much? Or are you getting a small cow?
I'm going on what the guy told me who sold it to me. He is a very experienced 100% grass dairy man. He has always raised the calves on their mother's milk and I will do that as well because it's healthier for the calf. Maybe I will get more. I don't know. I like to be conservative.

Reply #29965
Who is this Rick B idiot?

• RickB
Reply #29966

I'm going on what the guy told me who sold it to me. He is a very experienced 100% grass dairy man. He has always raised the calves on their mother's milk and I will do that as well because it's healthier for the calf. Maybe I will get more. I don't know. I like to be conservative.

Wtf Dave.  I thought that every farmer in your neighborhood fed their animals on dirt and grain.  Now all of a sudden you have found a rancher that uses the immaculate grass fed method to raise cows even though you could not find a rancher that used the immaculate grass fed method to raise goats?

Color me incredulous, Dave. 

Your standard Christian argument is based on lies.  Why should we not assume the same in this case?

• MikeS
Reply #29967
it's the online persona of your first cow stock buyer

• RickB
Reply #29968
it's the online persona of your first cow stock buyer

Can't be since Dave thinks that that buyer completely accepts all of his lies about his productivity.  That is any cow that he puts in the Sahara desert will produce just as much milk as a cow in Misery, 'cause that is what cows do.  Produce milk at the same rate wherever they are with exactly the same nutritional content everywhere.  Doesn't even matter if that milk is supplemented (as described in the TITLE of the referenced paper), his goats 'naturally' produce that same amount of nutrition.  He is just that good, and we are required to believe and accept that assessment.

ETA:  Because Dave said so!!!

Reply #29969
Jesus Christ what an idiot

• RickB
Reply #29970
Jesus Christ what an idiot

What a convincing rebuttal!!

Should I now believe that it is alright for adult males to fuck female 12 year olds?  Dave is so righteous on this subject.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #29971
You really think this.
:sadyes:
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #29972
And yes it was completely accurate.
Right.
You sold that share in the same sense that you paid your debt to NCSE.
The unique Hawkinsian sense, that involves no transfer of funds.

I don't lie and spin like you do.
Yeah.
Clearly.

::)
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Zombies!
  • We're in the pipe, five by five.
Reply #29973
Quote from: Dave Hawkins on 11-23-2015 at 01:59 AM Also it doesn't help that you are a woman ... I've had some bad experiences with super controlling manipulative women in my life and I now react really strongly to that.

• Zombies!
  • We're in the pipe, five by five.
Reply #29974
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/local-roots-farm-in-a-box-coming-to-a-distribution-center-near-you/
These two fresh-faced LA boys founded Local Roots four years ago. Their first purchases were broken-down, 40-foot shipping containers--this is apparently easy to do, since it is cheaper for shipping companies to just churn out new ones rather than fix broken ones. Local Roots then upcycles them into modular, shippable, customizable farms, each of which can grow as much produce as five acres of farmland. The idea is to supplement, not supplant, outdoor agriculture. And Ars got a look at one of these "farms" when it was set up in New York City recently.

TerraFarms use no pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers--they don't have to. This means they generate no toxic runoff, and the produce fits most definitions of organic food. They use 99-percent less water and obviously much less land than outdoor farms. Since the farms are indoors, they are not subject to the vagaries of weather, be it the extreme temperatures, storms, and droughts brought on by climate change or the more mundane conditions of heat, cold, or dryness that exist outside of LA.

Quote from: Dave Hawkins on 11-23-2015 at 01:59 AM Also it doesn't help that you are a woman ... I've had some bad experiences with super controlling manipulative women in my life and I now react really strongly to that.