Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Let's start with these questions (Read 1169 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Let's start with these questions
Reply #25
honestly?  Would not be a good look to MR-ify anything to do with this new place.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #26
Hey just checking for mods (add-ons) and there's one for tags: http://addons.elkarte.net/feature/Topic-Tags.html
The presentation is a steaming pile of bat poo, but that can be changed.

And this one is a ripper for dealing with arseholes: http://addons.elkarte.net/admin/Miserable-User.html

There doesn't appear to be one for comments (a la TR) but it should be doable. There's one that does something similar for SMF, so the concept should be adaptable to Elk.
Truth is out of style

Reply #27
I think I tried to install and configure the tags add on, but I wasn't sure how it was supposed to work and it didn't seem to do anything at all.

Probably user error.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #28
Mind if I have a play with it?
Truth is out of style

Reply #29
Please do!  Tags may be the closest thing to a functionality deal breaker we have!

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #30
Ok. Prepare for disaster. :D
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #31
Weirdness. I see what you mean. It installs without dramas but doesn't seem to do anything. Can't find settings for it anywhere. Will go annoy Ema. :D
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #32
Another nice-to-have function, but not super critical is the top button.

And/or "New Posts" button at the bottom of the page.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #33
Top button already exists, as does Bottom button. Over at the left of the screen.
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #34
ahh, now I see it.   I didn't understand when borealis / pandora were talking about it on the test site, but now I see it.

Ok, I haven't played with this on my phone much, but I wasn't real happy with the test site.  My primary complaint was I couldn't find a new posts button.  It had a completely different look & feel compared to the desktop site, so it was like having to learn to new UIs.

Reply #35
I think we'll probably need the ASS forum, but I don't think there's that strong an interest in separating "life" sciences and "physical" sciences.

What about the history forum?  I personally have a great fondness for history, anthropology and paleoanthropology topics but I don't know if it makes sense any more.

In the first instance leave it as one. We can split later if needed. Could we have topics like the old "ridicule" thing. That might make it easier to label threads,

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #36
ahh, now I see it.   I didn't understand when borealis / pandora were talking about it on the test site, but now I see it.

Ok, I haven't played with this on my phone much, but I wasn't real happy with the test site.  My primary complaint was I couldn't find a new posts button.  It had a completely different look & feel compared to the desktop site, so it was like having to learn to new UIs.
Must admit I never browse on a phone, so haven't checked out the responsive stuff much. Should be possible to customise the menu though, if that's the main concern.
Truth is out of style

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism

Reply #37
I've noticed borealis 'liking' posts but I can't seem to 'like' them myself?  Not saying we need to have that (perhaps not the TR way) but it sticks out

edit nvm the buttons are there now.
yeah you have to have some minimum number of posts (5?) before it allows you to "like" anything.

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Reply #38
Comments!  I didn't use them often, but I really liked them a lot!  They're one of the few bits of functionality that I really find myself irritated at not having on other forums.  Most everything else is gravy.

Except the memescape, and you already got that running ;)
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #39
Yeah comments are on the to-do list.
Truth is out of style

Reply #40
Should we have a Heap too?  A lot of tradition behind that.

For me, having one big Science forum is fine.  But I know many of the old Life Science regulars (assuming they show up) prefer to have some sort of two-tier system.

Although come to think of it, combining the science forums would be good.  I never liked that split.  Life sciences are just as physical as physical sciences.  They are just more complicated.

Now that you made this song run through my head, it can run through yours as well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWz9VN40nCA

Reply #41
I have to let out a squeeeeeee about now.  We may be able to recover the database after all.

Reply #42
You should maintain your reign as imperatrix. This system works.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #43
I have to let out a squeeeeeee about now.  We may be able to recover the database after all.
Awesome!

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #44
any updates since this tantalizing hint from a couple days ago?

Reply #45
We have a dump of the table that osmanthus' database guru friends extracted.  I'm setting up a test database on my laptop to work out the process for recovery before trying it on the arvixe box.  I haven't been around much this weekend so far to actually work on it, though.  We'll get there, hopefully with a readable database.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Reply #46
I understood all those words, though not so much how you put them together.  I gather tr is more or less recoverable, and that we owe you as well as osmanthus' friends a huge debt of gratitude for hard work and smartitude.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #47
That's about the size of it. Illori over at SMF did the recovery of the crashed table. Sacrifice goats in her honour.
Truth is out of style

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Reply #48
RE: the OP... I've never really grokked the difference between General Discussion, Heap and Rat's Nest.  Could they be combined?  I always kinda thought TR had too many forums.

Similarly, is there really a need for Guy DeBoard being separate from Soap Opera?
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

Reply #49
GD is public, the others are private. TIH collects topics like Dreher, TRN is for more personal stuff.