Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Fundraising (Read 1356 times) previous topic - next topic

Fundraising
We're going to need to do some fundraising pretty soon.

The monthly fee will vary a little over time, since the bill is in Euros and the exchange rate isn't a constant.  For planning purposes, we should probably expect between $11 and $15 per month.

It makes sense not to continue paying month to month over the long term. 

Gray Web Host offers discounts for some of the payment plans.

Monthly 9.99 EUR
6 Months (Semi-annual) 49.99EUR (equivalent of one month free)
1 Year 99.99 EUR (equivalent of 2 months free)
2 Years 199.99 EUR (equivalent 4 months free)

I'd like to suggest that we pay one more month at the monthly rate, and then pay for 6 months at one go.  Unless something suggests otherwise by then, the one year plan would look good for 2017.

Paying on a monthly basis incurs extra paypal fees, too, which knocks the monthly cost up by $4 or so.

There's a distinct possibility we'll need to move to a VPS if traffic picks up significantly over the next few months.  The Arvixe VPS cost about $40 a month initially.  I'm not sure what the per month cost was last year, but $40-$50 a month wouldn't be outrageous at all.

Last time I talked to ksen we had about $120 in the bank.  We're now probably at $80-100.

We can get better numbers from ksen, but I think the above is good enough to start a discussion of fundraising plans.

We used to try to keep a $100 or so buffer in the TR account for emergencies and/or hookers and blow.  I think this year we might need to keep a little more in reserve so we can move to a VPS quickly if we outgrow this server.

So, rough idea on the costs for TR for the rest of the year:

$12-15 - August
$50-$60 - Sept 2016 - Feb 2017
$200 buffer

The range would be between $262 - $275

Or we could fundraise for  Aug 2016 - Dec 2017 and not need to worry about it again for over a year unless we move to a VPS
$12-15 - August
$50-$60 Sept 2016 - Feb 2017
$115-$125 March 2017 - March 2018
$200 buffer

$367 - $400 Total

My math probably sucks, but it's at least ballpark.

What do you guys think?  Set a goal of ~$275?  Or ~$400?

Re: Fundraising
Reply #1
my 2c: shoot for the $275

^I say that with no idea of how many TRers moved across here.  Was thinking more modest and shorter time frame.

If there's a paypal account to donate to, pls let me know deets because I never donated to TR before and want to chip in.

• Old Dan

Reply #2
Missus, can ya install one of them nice "thermometer"-style fundraisin goal thingies, with a link to the TR's Paypal?

Why dontcha make yer goal an even number, like $300 or $400, set up the fundraisin goal thermometer, and get to it? Yall dont need no long-ass conversation about the exact amount. Once ya know the general amount ya need, fer 6 months payment plus a decent buffer, set it on up.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
Change the thermometer to a hypodermic needle about to inject something into an addicts track-scarred arm.  Then, when you hit the goal everything goes 60's psychedelic.

• Old Dan

Reply #4
Change the thermometer to a hypodermic needle about to inject something into an addicts track-scarred arm.  Then, when you hit the goal everything goes 60's psychedelic.
Naw, make it a hypodermic needle injectin toxins into a tomato or apple, and mark it "NO GMOs"

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #5
Missus, can ya install one of them nice "thermometer"-style fundraisin goal thingies, with a link to the TR's Paypal?

Why dontcha make yer goal an even number, like $300 or $400, set up the fundraisin goal thermometer, and get to it? Yall dont need no long-ass conversation about the exact amount. Once ya know the general amount ya need, fer 6 months payment plus a decent buffer, set it on up.

I was gonna suggest doing the fundraising in Euros.  That way the conversion is taken care of at the time of donation instead of at the time of payment, but if we did that, KSen would probably have to set up a bank account in Europe.

We should convert to a nice stable virtual currency like bitcoin, what could go wrong?

Reply #6
I don't know if a thermometer will be possible.  We'll see.

The vbulletin add on for donations included the thermometer.

Reply #7
Yall dont need no long-ass conversation about the exact amount. Once ya know the general amount ya need, fer 6 months payment plus a decent buffer, set it on up.

I'm not an admin, despite what the title says.  My role is purely technical.  I kinda grabbed the reins while the forum was on my personal server.  On this server, TR's elected admins are in charge.

I'm starting the conversation because I'm able to provide the info needed to pick a goal, and as a member, I want to see the site in shape to take the next steps toward getting back on a normal footing.

Reply #8
Current balance in the TR account is $101.76.

Reply #9
Speaking as a current admin, (and extremely grateful to raven and os et al), I think aim for the lower number to begin with, and see how the traffic is for a while. I suspect our membership has been condensed, how much, we'll see.

TBH I don't really care about thermometers, think they are a bit irritating. A 'please donate towards server costs' top of page notice with a link to a how to donate thread works for me. Update the notice with the progress toward goal once a week or so.

Reply #10
I've set up a button on the menu called "Donate!"  Clicking it will take you to the old TR donation page.  Everything still works regarding donations, including the automatic PMs.

Once the fundraiser goal is set in stone, I'll add a notice and link about it to the top of the forum pages.

One issue with the added buttons on the menu - they don't show up on smartphones.  I think that's because the custom buttons don't have an icon image.  I can probably fix that, but for the duration of the fundraiser, it would be good to have both a notice link and the button set up and active.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #11
IIRC that menu mod is pretty basic. The icons is something I didn't know about, but IIRC there are some other glitches too (something to do with rearranging buttons or sumpin).

Fixing it shouldn't be an issue.
Truth is out of style

• ffejrxx

Reply #12
can you lower the minimum
i have a couple bucks in my paypal i can throw tward the forum

Reply #13
tightass

I find it spooky to be taken to the dead zone

• ffejrxx

Reply #14
if i dont donate anything youd call me a freeloader, since i cant donate enough im a tight ass?

Reply #15
way to make me feel bad!

j/k did you see the 'custom' option?

• ffejrxx

Reply #16
ya, under $5 = the minimum accepted is $5

• Old Dan

Reply #17
all's I got is $5, but I'm savin it fer milk  :smith:

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #18
Monies are on there waaaayyyyy .....

• ksen
  • Needs a Life

Reply #19
We have $61.72 sitting in PayPal and $72.76 in the bank.  The bank went down because Arvixe tried billing us and we ended up being a charged a $29 NSF fee by the bank.  I think I'm going to let the cash sit in paypal to avoid any bank->paypal->payee fees.

Also I will reimburse the $29 to our checking account to bring it back to $101.76.

I like the idea of just paying the 199.99 and locking in for two years.  But then again I pushed to renew our domain for something like 9 years so.  I just like the comfort of having it paid for and not having to do a fundraiser too often.

Reply #20
I would like to donate my 1 cent.
Self-censorship is the lamest form of censorship.

Yes, that is Trump wearing a pink shirt in the 80s. Very liberal.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #21
The old TR donate link is dead.  How do we donate?

Reply #22
I think it's still working ok.      Are you getting an error message?

• Photon
  • Needs a Life
  • I interfere with myself

Reply #23
I only get error messages.

The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (hthttp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.

Looks like an extra "ht" in the link.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #24
What Photon said.