Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Some posts were moved to TCH.

Topic: Studies Appear to Show That Conservatives are Less Interested in Empirical Data Than Liberals (Read 351 times) previous topic - next topic

Studies Appear to Show That Conservatives are Less Interested in Empirical Data Than Liberals
This is interesting. I'd like to see the data.   

"UA Study Shows Stark Differences in How Conservatives, Liberals See Data"

Conservatives are less interested than liberals in viewing novel scientific data, according to a psychology researcher at The University of Alabama.

Dr. Alexa Tullett, assistant professor of psychology at UA, recently conducted the project, titled "Is ideology the enemy of inquiry? Examining the link between political orientation and lack of interest in novel data." The article will be published in the Journal of Research and Personality in August.

In three separate studies, Tullett and colleagues offered participants in both the Deep South and West Coast a chance to view data on three topics: the justness of the world, the efficacy of social safety nets and the benefits of social media. Participants were given no advanced knowledge of what the data would tell them. Tullett found that conservatives were less interested in viewing empirical data than liberals in all three studies. Moreover, conservatives were more skeptical about the value of science compared with liberals. These differences suggest that conservatives and liberals may differ with respect to the kinds of information they find persuasive in the context of political debate, Tullett said.

• MikeS
Re: Studies Appear to Show That Conservatives are Less Interested in Empirical Data Than Liberals
Reply #1
Alabama.   :hmm:

Re: Studies Appear to Show That Conservatives are Less Interested in Empirical Data Than Liberals
Reply #2
Study was clearly conducted by liberals.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Peez
Reply #3

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #4
In three separate studies, Tullett and colleagues offered participants in both the Deep South and West Coast a chance to view data on three topics: the justness of the world, the efficacy of social safety nets and the benefits of social media.

http://uanews.ua.edu/2016/07/ua-study-shows-stark-differences-in-how-conservatives-liberals-see-data/

Can you get any more unscientific?  All three "subjects of the study" are not scientific,

the justness of the world

the efficacy of social safety nets

the benefits of social media

Seriously?  Why not try a study about something real and find out how people really think about shit.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #5
"What is distinct about our study is that we're asking about information that has unknown content. So conservatives' relative disinterest in the data is not simply a disinterest in liberal arguments."

Really?  That's what you think your study shows?

And you still wonder how a complete asshat egomaniac "conservative" became President.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• ksen
Reply #6
This is interesting. I'd like to see the data.   

"UA Study Shows Stark Differences in How Conservatives, Liberals See Data"

Conservatives are less interested than liberals in viewing novel scientific data, according to a psychology researcher at The University of Alabama.

Dr. Alexa Tullett, assistant professor of psychology at UA, recently conducted the project, titled "Is ideology the enemy of inquiry? Examining the link between political orientation and lack of interest in novel data." The article will be published in the Journal of Research and Personality in August.

In three separate studies, Tullett and colleagues offered participants in both the Deep South and West Coast a chance to view data on three topics: the justness of the world, the efficacy of social safety nets and the benefits of social media. Participants were given no advanced knowledge of what the data would tell them. Tullett found that conservatives were less interested in viewing empirical data than liberals in all three studies. Moreover, conservatives were more skeptical about the value of science compared with liberals. These differences suggest that conservatives and liberals may differ with respect to the kinds of information they find persuasive in the context of political debate, Tullett said.
I suspect the results would have been the reverse if the topics had instead been along the lines of:

1) The dangers of radical Islam,
2) The efficacy of the free market, and
3) The benefits of restricting abortion rights.

• Faid
Reply #7
In three separate studies, Tullett and colleagues offered participants in both the Deep South and West Coast a chance to view data on three topics: the justness of the world, the efficacy of social safety nets and the benefits of social media.

http://uanews.ua.edu/2016/07/ua-study-shows-stark-differences-in-how-conservatives-liberals-see-data/

Can you get any more unscientific?  All three "subjects of the study" are not scientific,

the justness of the world

the efficacy of social safety nets

the benefits of social media

Seriously?  Why not try a study about something real and find out how people really think about shit.

Who's the lady in the picture?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #8
Dr. Alexa Tullett, assistant professor of psychology at UA, recently conducted the project, titled "Is ideology the enemy of inquiry?
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #9
Oh ok.

Why did you post her picture?
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #10
I don't need a study to know that the basic premise is often true.  Those who don't want to know are simply not interested in pesky "facts", unless the facts support their belief system.

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was ...
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #11
Oh ok.

Why did you post her picture?
It was part of my study to see if people actually follow links and spend 30 seconds reading the link that is the subject of a topic.

You know, cause her picture is right there at the top of the linked page in the OP
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #12
So why did you post it?

• Faid
Reply #13
Anyway. I personally think this study has little actual empirical basis. But then again, I'm liberal-leaning, and liberals are more interested in empirical data than conservatives.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #14
we're mostly godless heathens
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Faid
Reply #15
Dude, it's only been 20 days

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #16
Dude
― Mark Twain 🔭