Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Choosing a New Web Host (Read 1710 times) previous topic - next topic

Choosing a New Web Host
This thread is for discussing web host pros and cons and what we should look for in a host and in a package/contract.

• el jefe
  • Needs a Life
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024

Re: Choosing a New Web Host
Reply #1
my list of pros includes: not fucking up and losing 8 years of message board they're paid to maintain, not mysteriously lacking any kind of backup, not continually passing the buck to each other when there's a problem, not being worse than worthless at communicating with the customer they screwed

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #2
that's a good start.

Reply #3
Nothing against India, but I'm going to put a priority on webhosts who have support staff in North America.

Reply #4
Probably one not likely to be sold to what essentially appears to be a house flipper corporate pirate.

Reply #5
I'm not sure how easy it will be to determine the likelihood of a hosting company being sold.

Reply #6
Well yes, probably not something you get much warning about.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #7
Yeah, no shit.  If I worked my ass off to build a hosting service and someone offered me $17M or whatever I'd take the money in an instant.

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #8
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #9
Ok, how much bandwidth was TR using per month? I'd start by looking for a package that offers that much bandwidth plus a useful safety margin. I'd deliberately avoid anyone who offers "unlimited" stuff.
Truth is out of style

Reply #10
The trend over the last twelve months has been around 55gb per month.  The biggest month in that period was July 2015 at 63gb.

Yeah.  We did not sign up for unlimited, and I don't want unlimited. That stuff changed recently.  I'm pretty sure we still had a specified limit back in February when I was logging into cpanel frequently for a bit.

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #11
so a 100gb plan?
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #12
https://icdsoft.com/hosting/usa

Business plan:

100 GB storage
1000 GB bandwidth
$10.00/month

(I mention this company because they used to be briliant, if your site was within their ToS. Don't know if they are still brilliant, or if they would consider TR to be within their ToS).

ToS: https://icdsoft.com/terms

ETA: This would be the killer section for a board like TR:

Defamation

The customer may not host material that is:

• threatening or obscene;
  • offensive to any person or group. This includes, but is not limited to: prejudice, racism, intolerance, hatred, and harassment; expressions that are by nature libelous, defamatory, and offensive to or disrespectful of ethnic, racial, religious, or other groups;
  • harmful to minors;
  • likely to cause damage to reputation of third parties.
  • Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 08:21:58 PM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

Reply #13
Yeah not sure even mild mannered mindromp could get through the first day without breaking several of those commandments.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #14
Depends if they actually enforce them, or if they don't give a rat's as long as nobody complains. I suspect they may be there so they can cover the arses if necessary, but am not sure.

Would also trust these guys: https://graywebhost.com/hosting-plans.php

I've known the bloke who runs that company for years. He's part of the server team for the SMF project and he's sane. Haven't ever used his hosting, but have no reason to think there would be anything wrong with it. Can easily get straight answers to any questions if necessary. I'll just PM him and see what he says.
Truth is out of style

Reply #15
Prices look very good.  Where in the EU are the servers located?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #16
Not sure, but can find out. I know the head dude is from Holland, but the servers could be anywhere (there's an associated company that does un-managed dedicated boxes and is based in the US).

Read the ToS stuffz too. Sounds ok for an informal and non-critical forum.

Quote from: FAQ
Q. What is the Support Guarantee?
    A. The guaranteed time within which you will receive a response after opening a new ticket. The average response time is 1 to 6 hours, the guaranteed time depends on the plan.

Quote from: ToS
Accounts may be suspended or terminated due to the hosting of hard adult content (soft-erotic material is allowed), pirated materials or by breaking the ToS/AUP in general. If a user is found hosting this, Gray Web Host will notify the user advising that they have 48 hours to 2 weeks (depending on the type of violation) to remove the content or risk suspsension and/or (eventual) termination of their account at their loss, without refunds. Gray Web Host may suspend and/or cancel and/or terminate any account should this be deemed necesarry for the safety/reputation of ourselves, the client and/or other clients or to the visitors of your website.

<snippity>

Gray Web Host is designed primarily for private/personal users, within budget scope. Whilst we welcome and most certainly allow business websites, please be advised that no extra priority is given to support tickets created for businesses. All our clients are equal, whether they are utilizing the service for personal/private purposes or business purposes. Due to the budget nature of the services, you may experience that support tickets (and solutions) may (relatively) be more time consuming than at services tailored for businesses; therefore: using the service for business critical material is not advised and is at your own risk.

<snippity the second>

Acceptable Use Policy
Service Agreement
When you purchase one of our products and agree to the terms, you also agree to additional terms outlined in parent company CoreISP/DedicatedBox terms we link to above this line; and thus also apply to services from Gray Web Host. Please carefully read them!
Truth is out of style

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #17
would those terms open whole new doors to people who like to game rules? not that I'm suggesting such people would sign up to TR cough
braying among the ruins

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #18
Yeah but every host is going to have similar terms. Bottom line is that if someone complains and the host looks at it and says "Take that bit down", you take that bit down or you find another host. At least these terms undertake to warn you first.
Truth is out of style

Reply #19
That's surprisingly sane.  MDD's terms are more stringent and MR hasn't had any issues.

• MSG
  • Needs a Life

Reply #20
cool; we just needn't publicise it too hard
braying among the ruins

Reply #21
This is mostly for comparison purposes:

https://www.mddhosting.com/hosting.php

MR has the middle column. 

The right hand column includes ssh access.  If we do wind up recovering the database, I would be a little scared on that level of service.  storage and bandwidth look good but 1 cpu?

It's probably not in the cards that we'll need that much server right away.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #22
TBH I don't know an awful lot about server specs.
Truth is out of style

Reply #23
I don't know how to predict what we'll need in 3 months or 6 months.

First time around, TR grew explosively because other sites were having political implosions.  I expect we'll get 70-100 registrations in the next week or two and then things will slow down.

Reply #24
Dave Hawkins can do it