Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Choosing a New Web Host (Read 2001 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Choosing a New Web Host
Reply #50
did canvashost.com not have the right package?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #51
did canvashost.com not have the right package?

The enterprise plan would work for TR.  It would give us room to keep the 2+million record archive forum and go forward with this forum platform.  The ultimate plan at graywebhost is also the right size.  It looks like graywebhost is a little less expensive.

I wonder who owns the server farm where the graywebhost servers live. 

Reply #52
better to go with cheaper as long as the customer service is good. Can you call tech support at graywebhost?

Reply #53
This *is* the new board.  It needs a bigger server than my blog site.

Just to clarify, your plan is to keep this forum as the new board but you will move it to a bigger server.  Also, we won't have to re-register and you'll keep all the threads we've started here?

What will happen if the old forum gets fixed?

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Reply #54
When we move to a new server, can we keep the forum as a zombie?  I'm digging it.  Talkrational Zombie Forum works for me  :]
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.

Reply #55

Just to clarify, your plan is to keep this forum as the new board but you will move it to a bigger server.  Also, we won't have to re-register and you'll keep all the threads we've started here?[/correct]

If it can be fixed, it will be archived - The old forum will be in its former shape with all 2 million+ posts, and will be readable and searchable, but no writeable - no new posts.

Ideally, I would hope to copy over the last 6 months to a year's worth of active threads to this forum's database.  That will be tricky, and I don't know if my skills are up to it.  I had originally planned (before the crash) to initialize a brand new Elkarte TR forum with data from the old forum, before it was open for posting, probably this Fall after the Arvixe web host renewal came due and we decided whether to stay with them (even then unlikely) or move the site to a new web host.
  • Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:43:39 AM by ravenscape

Reply #56
When we move to a new server, can we keep the forum as a zombie?  I'm digging it.  Talkrational Zombie Forum works for me  :]

That will be for members and staff to decide.  The title is just a bit of text in the forum configuration.  It's easy to change, and easy to leave as is.

Reply #57

Just to clarify, your plan is to keep this forum as the new board but you will move it to a bigger server.  Also, we won't have to re-register and you'll keep all the threads we've started here?[/correct]

If it can be fixed, it will be archived - The old forum will be in its former shape with all 2 million+ posts, and will be readable and searchable, but no writeable - no new posts.

Ideally, I would hope to copy over the last 6 months to a year's worth of active threads to this forum's database.  That will be tricky, and I don't know if my skills are up to it.  I had originally planned (before the crash) to initialize a brand new Elkarte TR forum with data from the old forum, before it was open for posting, probably this Fall after the Arvixe web host renewal came due and we decided whether to stay with them (even then unlikely) or move the site to a new web host.

Cool thanks! :)

Reply #58
Bumping this because the next big thing on the to-do list is to pick a new webhost and get both forums moved to the new digs.

We'll also need to do some fundraising.  How much we'll need depends on webhost and plan.

I think it would be a good idea to initially pay for a quarter or maybe a half year and make sure we're happy with the service, uptime, etc. before committing to a year.  This is regardless of what host we choose.

I'll catch up on earlier research, do some additional research as needed, and report back.

One nice thing is that the donate page on the old forum still works.  I don't think a similar donation add-on exists for Elkarte, but it's not strictly necessary.  People can donate via paypal directly to ksen's paypal email address.

I'll figure all that out in a bit, too.

Reply #59
Depends if they actually enforce them, or if they don't give a rat's as long as nobody complains. I suspect they may be there so they can cover the arses if necessary, but am not sure.

Would also trust these guys: https://graywebhost.com/hosting-plans.php

I've known the bloke who runs that company for years. He's part of the server team for the SMF project and he's sane. Haven't ever used his hosting, but have no reason to think there would be anything wrong with it. Can easily get straight answers to any questions if necessary. I'll just PM him and see what he says.

The ultimate plan would work for us.  The Premium plan disk space is a little scant given the huge database we'll want to keep forever and ever.  I like that we can add more space for a small fee.

One thing I'm not sure about is the dedicated IP address.  We've always had a static IP address in the past. I don't know if we actually need it, or what not having it would mean or if we'd even notice.

Reply #60
Some info on dedicated IPs.  http://www.whoishostingthis.com/blog/2013/08/26/do-i-need-a-dedicated-ip-address/

It sounds like we may do fine without it, and I suspect we didn't have one while on the Arvixe server.

I go through periods of intensive use of FTP when I'm installing stuff or moving a lot of data around, but can go months at a time without using FTP at all.  If for performance reasons we need to switch to a dedicated IP, it's available with Gray webhost at an extra charge.

Reply #61
$10.99 month at the current exchange rate ($1=€.91).

This is insanely low.

I think we'll be able to tell after 2-4 months if it's working ok for us performance-wise.

We'll also be able to tell quite a bit simply by how smoothly (or not) the site transfers go.

By comparison, we were paying over $400 a year at Arvixe.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #62
Arvixe was VPS though, which would be about right for cost. VPS is always more.
Truth is out of style

Reply #63
We didn't sign up for VPS, and we certainly weren't paying for it. there.  Toward the end, I really couldn't tell what plan they had us on.

ETA actually I'm wrong.  It was a VPS.  Or was supposed to be one.
  • Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:30:49 PM by ravenscape

Reply #64
Looking over the threads about moving us to Arvixe in 2014, I have a bad feeling ksen is wrong about when the annual rental runs out. It could be something like July 13 or 14 instead of sometime in August.

I'll check with him tomorrow.

If it does end sometime next week, then he and I'll either need to get into high gear moving webhosts, or pay for one more month on Arvixe and take our time.

Reply #65
We didn't sign up for VPS, and we certainly weren't paying for it. there.  Toward the end, I really couldn't tell what plan they had us on.

ETA actually I'm wrong.  It was a VPS.  Or was supposed to be one.
Then why didn't we have root access to the dB?

Reply #66
Because Arvixe, probably.

Reply #67
well, root access is one of the basic features of a vps. It's one of the reasons someone would want a vps.

Reply #68
We were supposed to have root ssh access.  It wasn't working and they took weeks and weeks to resolve that.

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #69
I'm wary about too cheap.  If something is cheaper than it needs to be to be viable, we could end up with something like Arvixe again - starts well, then gets shipped out to something faceless and horrible with clueless ninjas.

Reply #70
I would be worried about this host if we were going to try to keep the old TR forum open.  I think it's more than adequate for what we'll need going forward, probably for several years, and I like that they have an incremental growth option.  The webhost industry has changed vastly since TR was first created 8 years ago.

I don't want to go for a 1 year rental right off the bat.  I think we'll be able to tell how it's going after 2-3 months - what the downtime is actually like, how long the weekly backup process lasts and how it impacts us, etc.

I'm leary of a really big-name web host because of the way the players in this industry are consolidating.  Several of the hosts we've looked at over the years have been bought by the same company that bought Arvixe.  We could easily wind up doing business again with the same organization that bought Arvixe.

Reply #71
I sent a pre-sales inquiry to Gray this morning.  I'm afraid the first question is "are you willing to help us move this patchwork of databases and forum software?"

I hope that the mess we've been through and had to sort isn't a red flag!

Reply #72
holy shit.  the person who answered my inquiry is one of the database ninjas who helped extract the data from our crashed table.

I think we'll be in excellent hands here.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #73
 :grin: If there are any worries about capacity I can just ask head dude directly. He's hosted big forums before and would know exactly what was needed.
Truth is out of style

Reply #74
Damn - am changing your name to osome - Man Who Knows All the Useful People.