Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Stevie's Mountaineering Adventures Cont'd (Read 668 times) previous topic - next topic

Stevie's Mountaineering Adventures Cont'd
This properly belongs in that long-running Teeth climbing thread, but it didn't carry over from the old forum, I reckon.

Anyway, I just got back from a sweet little glacier climb of Mt. Baker in NW Washington state, one of our big four subduction volcanoes (Rainier, Adams, Glacier, and Baker).  Packed up with my awesome climbing buddy and glacier travel co-instructor on Sunday, drove up to the Ranger public service center in the little town of Glacier (outside of the small city of Bellingham) and registered for the climb on Monday morning, drove on out to the trailhead, humped the heavy packs up to the stunningly-situated base camp by early afternoon, set up camp, lazed around the joint taking pictures, organized our gear for the climb, and watched other teams heading up or coming off the peak. 

We were then treated to an outrageous sunset, followed by a clear starry night with Milky Way and later a sharply-etched half-moon.  We reluctantly ceased our slumbers before 5 am Tuesday (though that's a luxuriously late start for most glacier climbs), fixed a quick breakfast, then strapped on our crampons, heaved on our summit packs, and slung on our glacier gear to head up the snowfield by a quarter till six. 

We took the straightforward Coleman-Deming glacier route, since we were only a two-person rope team (crevasse rescue with a two-person team requires extra equipment and training, and having other teams in the vicinity on a popular route never hurts).  Near perfect weather, though the snow got a little warm and sloppy on the steepest section just before the top.

We swanned around on the summit enjoying the view for a half hour or so, then slithered back down the mountain, packed up camp, stumbled back down the climber's track and trail to the car, and filled in the clipboard at the ranger station letting them know we had summited and survived.  Three hour drive back to Seattle, unload the car, and crash somewhere shortly before midnight after a long but rewarding day.

Anyway, I'll share a few pictures if I can figure out how to upload them.

Er, how do you upload pics from your own computer?
  • Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:29:23 PM by Steviepinhead

Re: Stevie's Mountaineering Adventures Cont'd
Reply #1
Nice!

Hit the Reply button at the bottom of the thread, instead of using the quick reply area.

Below the reply box on that page is an area where you can add attachments.

Reply #2
I love mt Baker. How far west can you see from the top?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #3
As a teenager living in Coquitlam, BC (Vancouver suburb) our house was on a ridge which looked East up the Fraser Valley and I awoke to Mt. Baker every morning if it was clear.  Went skiing on it many times too, crazy thick snow base every winter; over 5 meters on average.

I want back, so please continue with the stories and I'll live vicariously through your experiences (including, of course, with your forementioned climbing buddy).

Reply #4
Nice!

Hit the Reply button at the bottom of the thread, instead of using the quick reply area.

Below the reply box on that page is an area where you can add attachments.
Thanks, Raven.  We'll see if my minimal skillz is up to the challenge!

Reply #5
As a teenager living in Coquitlam, BC (Vancouver suburb) our house was on a ridge which looked East up the Fraser Valley and I awoke to Mt. Baker every morning if it was clear.  Went skiing on it many times too, crazy thick snow base every winter; over 5 meters on average.

I want back, so please continue with the stories and I'll live vicariously through your experiences (including, of course, with your forementioned climbing buddy).
See what I can do!

Reply #6
I love mt Baker. How far west can you see from the top?
We saw the Olympics from the top, it was cloudier out towards Vancouver Island.  We're pretty convinced we saw the mountainous backbone of Vancouver Island backlit by the sunset the night before our climb, from base camp.  Either that, or Japan...

Reply #7
Okay, the "add files by dragging & dropping or selecting them" option seems to have a 128 KB limit per photo, and mine are too big. 
Which seems silly -- a standard camera phone file is too big to add?  So I suppose I have to reduce the data down somehow, but I haven't had to "zip" or whatever a photo file to attach it to an email or a facebook post or send it as a text or phone attachment in literally years, so I have no idea how to do that anymore...

The drag or drop option doesn't work either, presumably for the same reason.

Reply #8
Bah, even a zipped file of the same photo is 594 KB.  Surely something isn't working right here...

Reply #9
I'll up the file size limit when I'm on my laptop in a couple hours.

Reply #10
ok...I've increased the per-file size limit to 2000 kb and the per post number of attachments to 4.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #11
Bah, even a zipped file of the same photo is 594 KB.  Surely something isn't working right here...
Upload to a photo sharing site and link to them here.

Reply #12
I'd just as soon keep my photos on my computer, though I'm sure that's hopefully old-fashioned since I'm sure I'd be better off backing everything up to the cloud.

Will try to share some photos tomorrow, thanks Raven for upping the limit!

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #13
Okay, the "add files by dragging & dropping or selecting them" option seems to have a 128 KB limit per photo, and mine are too big. 
Which seems silly -- a standard camera phone file is too big to add?  So I suppose I have to reduce the data down somehow, but I haven't had to "zip" or whatever a photo file to attach it to an email or a facebook post or send it as a text or phone attachment in literally years, so I have no idea how to do that anymore...

Right click, choose "Open with" and select "Paint".
Then use the resize option in paint to shrink the size.
The other thing about Paint is it displays true image size so you get a feel for your photo size and resolution immediately.

Reply #14
I'd just as soon keep my photos on my computer, though I'm sure that's hopefully old-fashioned since I'm sure I'd be better off backing everything up to the cloud.

Will try to share some photos tomorrow, thanks Raven for upping the limit!

Get a USB drive and use it as a back up and disconnect it after each back up.

Reply #15

Right click, choose "Open with" and select "Paint".
Then use the resize option in paint to shrink the size.
The other thing about Paint is it displays true image size so you get a feel for your photo size and resolution immediately.
true image size is a bit count, not a linear measurement. You have pixels per inch and bit depth.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #16
So jealous. No mountain-y stuff for me for like a full 8 months or more, thanks to my dumb fucking shoulder.

Reply #17
That's a shame and a half!

I'll try to play with the pictures again on Sunday, packing up for my next trip now.  "Just" a scramble lead tomorrow, but it's Del Campo peak, a Cascade classic.

Reply #18
Okay, this is an experiment!

Welp, that didn't work...  Hmmm.
Let's try it another way.

Reply #19
Here's my awesome climbing buddy on the approach to base camp with the north aspect of Mt. Baker behind her:

Reply #20
Okay, so the photos won't load from the google cloud storage, but will load as uploads from my computer.  I'll try to post a few more on Sunday.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #21
Here's my awesome climbing buddy on the approach to base camp with the north aspect of Mt. Baker behind her:

She's too cute to be hanging out with a pinhead.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #22
So jealous. No mountain-y stuff for me for like a full 8 months or more, thanks to my dumb fucking shoulder.
Just got back from a visit to the Black Hills with a side trip to Devil's Tower.  Watched the climbers attack the tower from all different sides and styles.
Respect to you guys who do this stuff

Reply #23
thanks brah

Reply #24
Why do I bother?