Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: it's heartwarming that two guys with embarrassing excrement stories can back each other up like this

Topic: Windows 10 upgrade time!!!! (Read 1020 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Windows 10 upgrade time!!!!
Today is the last day for the free upgrade.  I'm furiously deleting a GB worth of temp files so I have room on my hard drive.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: Windows 10 upgrade time!!!!
Reply #1
In my Windows\Temp folder there were a metric shitton of files named SBS_STDRL_[DATE].   they are only like 2KB each, but I've been deleting for probably over an hour and I'm just up to 201600 (WTF, not even January?) and I still have over 100,000 to go.  Over 2GB freed up!!!!

It appears I also have over 4GB of log files I can probably get rid of 99% of them.

Reply #2
Last day for the free upgrade?

You mean after this we will have to pay to do what Microsoft wants us to do?

And I thought the last day was months and months ago?

• MikeB
Reply #3
You can download the .iso install file now and use it later.  If you try to install on an empty hard drive it will ask you for a Windows 10 product key, as it will right now I've read.  If you install on an activated version of 7 or 8 I do not think it will ask for any product key, now or later.

So exactly what stops today?  Ability to download the Win10 install files for free?  Wondering if I have some detail wrong...

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #4
So exactly what stops today?  Ability to download the Win10 install files for free?  Wondering if I have some detail wrong...
Yes, that is my understanding.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #5
Weird, the auto-update wouldn't download.  It has been trying for a few hours.  I tried a few suggestions I found online, and it still didn't work, just stuck at "starting download", and very little network activity indicating.

So now I'm downloading the ISO, and it's at 60% in just a few minutes.

whatevers.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #6
And the download completed, but "verifying" is stuck at 0%.  And I don't see a file in the folder I told it to download to....

eta: Ok, it's finally doing something.  "Creating Media" at 45%.  I have to leave soon to pick someone up at the airport.  I hope this shit doesn't break while I'm gone, or I missed the window.
  • Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:52:53 PM by SkepticTank

Reply #7
You can download the .iso install file now and use it later.  If you try to install on an empty hard drive it will ask you for a Windows 10 product key, as it will right now I've read.  If you install on an activated version of 7 or 8 I do not think it will ask for any product key, now or later.

I think what stops today is the bluff.

• MikeB
Reply #8
I'm going to bet on this sight unseen.

• Pingu
Reply #9
I hope this shit doesn't break while I'm gone

It will.

• Old Dan
Reply #10
Damn, ST, waitin till the last minute? I reckon you aint the only one.

I did the Windows 10 upgrade about 6-7 months after folks started installin it, and I aint had no problems. A lotta updates that require reboot, but that aint too bad now. I done disabled alla the "live tiles" or whatever they call 'em. I kept Word live, and disabled alla the other "tiles." Sped things up quite a bit, yall.

So now let's get the update from ST on how well his install went (or not).

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #11
Haven't even checked.  Got back from the airport after midnight, and I've been busy doing other shit today.  This is the desktop in the office, and I hardly ever use it since we have laptops and phones and tablets.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #12
The iso downloaded successfully the other night.  Attempting install now.   :ohdear: 

Need to free up more space on the C: drive first.   :smith:

• Monad
Reply #13
Won't you have to pay to authorise it now?

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #14
Won't you have to pay to authorise it now?

Yeah, from what I'm reading, it looks like the installation had to be completed before July 29th.    I may have missed the window. There are a couple workarounds, but those required something (more than just downloading the iso) before the 29th.

Still looking.

• MikeB
Reply #15

OK, I had a key detail wrong, now taking this as fact:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-after-the-july-29-deadline/

I thought that once I'd downloaded the Windows 10 iso file I could install it whenever I wanted, over an activated copy of 7 or 8.1 without cost.  Apparently true through July 29, not after.  So I shall have to pay for an eventual Windows 10 upgrade it seems.  As well as my Windows 7 machines are running, not clear if I will ever be motivated to jump to 10.

• Old Dan
Reply #16
Sorta related: Windows 10 Anniversary Update: The good, the bad and the 'meh' (with video)

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been a year in the making, with more than two dozen public previews made available so that we could get a taste of what was to come. As of August 2nd, it is finally here.

This new version will be delivered via Windows Update -- although at the time of writing, it was not yet clear whether it would be available immediately to everyone or whether there would be a slower rollout.

So after all the time, all the work and all the hype, how does it stack up? Will it improve Microsoft's one-year-old operating system, or make users regret that they upgraded?

I've installed it on a Microsoft Surface 2 tablet and HP Stream 13 laptop in order to take an in-depth look. Read on for details.

There's a 4-minute video of this guy goin over the improvements in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, yall, then there's a real long-ass post about the features and what have ya.

• MikeS
Reply #17
So, I installed Win10 on my labtop but didn't like it's compatability with some older software I was running.  I cloned the hard drive to a spare one I had then reloaded my laptop with Win7.  I'll just save my cloned hard drive for future use, if ever.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #18
How are you guinea pigs finding W10? Having fun with ads in the file manager yet?

Windows 10 users complain about intrusive new OneDrive adverts

Users are complaining about Microsoft inserting adverts for its OneDrive cloud service directly into Windows 10's File Explorer.

The adverts pop up while a user is trying to manage files in a dedicated pane at the top of the Quick Access view within File Explorer, and are part of what Microsoft calls "sync provider notifications".
Fuck that shit.
Truth is out of style

Reply #19
I hate 10. On my desktop I have 7 pro which is still stable.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #20
Yeah I'm still on 7.
Truth is out of style

• MSG
Reply #21
10  is fine; you just have to learn to turn of all the apps running irrelevant news feeds and not click on the buttons to set up OneDrive
braying among the ruins

• MSG
Reply #22
and especially, disable Cortana.
braying among the ruins

Reply #23
10  is fine; you just have to learn to turn of all the apps running irrelevant news feeds and not click on the buttons to set up OneDrive
Unless you happen to use one drive. My mistake. Work "strongly encouraged" us to use it since they supplied the office licenses to everyone. It turns out we've never used it in collaboration. We have a couple Google drives we all share.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #24
I hate the way Windows is heading. Instead of just selling you an OS and leaving you alone, now the fuckers want to sell you a "service".
Truth is out of style