Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: Or don't. Whatever.

Topic: Driverless cars keep getting closer (Read 875 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Re: Driverless cars keep getting closer
Reply #25
https://medium.com/@tanayj/self-driving-cars-and-the-trolley-problem-5363b86cb82d#.x60ovmmud

tl;dr:  No.

eta:  Actually I like Mike's article a little better.
  • Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:28:41 AM by SkepticTank

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #26

• MikeS
Reply #27
It would be far easier to program all vehicles to hit/maim any human in their direct pathway.  That way we would all know exactly how the car would act/react in these situations; no ambiguity.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #28

Reply #29
that's gonna make sure city road crews keep the brush trimmed away from stop signs.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #30
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jun/23/will-your-driverless-car-be-willing-to-kill-you-to-save-the-lives-of-others

Before the study, the researchers suspected that the best way to make sure driverless cars are as safe as possible was through government regulation. But the surveys found most people objected to the idea. If regulations forced manufacturers to install moral algorithms that minimised deaths on the road, the majority of people said they would buy unregulated cars instead.
People are assholes. Film at eleven. At that point, I think we're better off just lying to people and telling them that the car does what they want it do, but it's really more moral than they are.

Reply #31
The cost of "fueling" and maintaining electric cars is one tenth that of regular combustion engine cars

:skeptical:
All else being equal, fuel at $2.00/gallon is ~$15/MMBtu (million Btu's).  Electricity through the wire at the house is $0.10/kWh which is ~$30/MMBtu.
However, Electric car energy efficiency is about 3x better than internal combustion (Carnot cycle) efficiency.

So fuel costs about Two-Thirds for electric versus gasoline.

Maintaining electric cars is a bit more of a stretch for cost.  You could make the case that the body/suspension/drive train costs are the same but the engine/transmission costs  for internal combustion are much higher.  However, the electrical costs are larger for an EV.

I too am skeptical of the claimed 10x savings for fuel/repairs.

I believe IC engines operate on the Otto cycle, not Carnot, but I don't know about your other numbers off the top of my head (and I haven't got my thermodynamics texts handy to check them).

Reply #32
I'm waiting for posterless messageboards.

Be the change you want to be etc.

• MikeS
Reply #33
I believe IC engines operate on the Otto cycle, not Carnot,
You are correct sir.  But my 3x efficiency estimate is the same.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #34
Uber

eta: Does it bother anyone else that they don't spell it Über?
  • Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:49:28 AM by SkepticTank

• ksen
Reply #35
no

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #36

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #37
Team of hackers take remote control of Tesla Model S from 12 miles away

Three months since the first fatal crash involving a Tesla driving in autopilot mode, hackers have taken remote control of a Tesla Model S from a distance of 12 miles, interfering with the car's brakes, door locks, dashboard computer screen and other electronically controlled features in the high-tech car.

A team of Chinese security researchers - Samuel LV, Sen Nie, Ling Liu and Wen Lu from Keen Security Lab - were able to target the car wirelessly and remotely in an attack that could cause havoc for any Tesla driver.

The hack targeted the car's controller area network, or Can bus, the collection of connected computers found inside every modern vehicle that control everything from its indicators to its brakes. In a video demonstrating the vulnerability, the hackers targeted both the Tesla Model S P85 and Model 75D, although they said it would work on other models too.
More on the link.
Truth is out of style

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #38
I was reading about Tesla today, and there was another fatal wreck in China back in January, but they're not sure whether or not Autopilot was engaged in that one.  And another non-fatal wreck (also in China I think) where Autopilot was engaged.

Both of those were before the Florida one we learned about recently.

eta:  Why the fuck would you call something "Autopilot" if it's really not intended to be much more than "lane assist" that other car companies already have.  That name seriously implies that it's self driving. Lawyers should have been all over that.

• ksen
Reply #39
but . . . chinese lawyers