Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: PZ Myers is a leading biologist

Topic: Who am I? Why am I here? (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic

Who am I? Why am I here?
Who am I? Why am I here?

As Flo hurtles toward Death, I think about these questions a lot. Sometimes I lie awake at night feeling just like that poor Admiral Stockdale.  :???:

I read somewhere that one time the police stopped Arthur Schopenhauer in the park and asked him who he was and where he was going. Supposedly he replied, "Ah! Those are the questions!" But then again, Schopenhauer looked like a scuzzy old bum so it's no surprise the cops were keeping an eye on him. I shouldn't doubt that he was a Muslim, too.

But that's neither here nor there.

I dream that when my time is up Jesus will knock on my front door, and invite to step out of the house and into a stretch limo that will drive me to Heaven. There, I will have a celestial kitchen with a refrigerator that never runs out of food.

OTOH, it's perfectly possible Jesus will assign me to the place downstairs, where I will also have a kitchen, but it will give new meaning to the adage, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

Still, while I'm pretty sure I have early-stage dementia, I'm not mentally retarded; and I don't honestly believe these kitchen fantasies. They just make me feel good (well, the heaven kitchen does, anyway).

So, boys, what do you think happens when we die? Can it really be "lights out for good"? Flo resists that conclusion with every fiber of my being, and all the fiber in my breakfast cereal, too. (Incidentally, fiber eases constipation.)
Miracle Whipper

Re: Who am I? Why am I here?
Reply #1
Have to ask someone who's dead.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #2
Who am I? Why am I here?
Funny you should ask.

• nesb
Reply #3
"Lights out" implies "lights on" in the first place. Even Daniel Dennett rejected such a view of things. In whatever essay he wrote about animals. We can't see past death, but our organism is responsible for our personality, memories, feelings, thoughts, etc. That dies when we die. That doesn't mean death is "lights out", because we don't understand the "light" in the first place. Why do we experience anything, as we do, and why our personal experiences in particular? Maybe death shines a wider light. I don't know. Given the problem of personal identity, I'm not even sure a perfect clone of a person, couldn't represent a psychological and real continuation of that person, for all intents and purposes. Even if we have to allow for branching and all that.

Reply #4
Hi nesb.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #5

Reply #6
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo (I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care). Epicurus, 341-270 BC

• MikeB
Reply #7
To date I do think it is "lights out for good".  If not, I have been under the wrong perceptions.  After death, can I really proceed to square all of the things I now regret?  'tis a comforting thought...

• nesb
Reply #8