• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Re: FUNdy here
Reply #1
Hello.  Are you new to TR?

Reply #2
FUNdy AKA oftenbuzzard ... been away a long time.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are
Reply #3
What flavor of Fundy are you?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #4

Family all well, and yourself?

Reply #5

Likewise!

Reply #6

Doctrinal but not attitudinal.

1. The inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture
2. The deity of Jesus Christ
3. The virgin birth of Christ
4. The substitutionary, atoning work of Christ on the cross
5. The physical resurrection and the personal bodily return of Christ to the earth.

• Faid
Reply #7
Meh, you're no fun.
Who even made the rule that we cannot group ducks and fish together for the simple reason that they are both aquatic? If I want to group them that way and it serves my purpose then I can jolly well do it however I want to and it is still a nested hierarchy and you can't tell me that it's not.

• RexT
Reply #8

Well, you got balls kid. I'll give you that much.

So I think I get what you mean by saying you're a doctrinal fundy, but it's that attitudinal part that throws me a bit. Every fundy I've encountered seems to have an attitude of certainty about their beliefs. Is that not the case for you?

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #9

Likewise!

Good.  :)

Have thought of you now and then.

Reply #10

So I think I get what you mean by saying you're a doctrinal fundy, but it's that attitudinal part that throws me a bit. Every fundy I've encountered seems to have an attitude of certainty about their beliefs. Is that not the case for you?

I have certainty about my beliefs (I have a ThM and PhD in Historical Theology) ; by attitude I mean I don't go Westboro Baptist on folks and I have friends who do not share my views.

• RexT
Reply #11

I have certainty about my beliefs (I have a ThM and PhD in Historical Theology) ; by attitude I mean I don't go Westboro Baptist on folks and I have friends who do not share my views.
Well, so you're intelligent and educated. That's a good thing, I think. And also good to lack the bigotry and hatred that seems to drive the Westboro Baptist folks to do some pretty ugly stuff. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

But do you then share their doctrinal belief that homosexuality (for instance) is an abomination to god?

Reply #12

Well, so you're intelligent and educated. That's a good thing, I think. And also good to lack the bigotry and hatred that seems to drive the Westboro Baptist folks to do some pretty ugly stuff. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

But do you then share their doctrinal belief that homosexuality (for instance) is an abomination to god?

I believe Romans 1 and I also believe 1 Cor. 6:11.
I believe my sin is an abomination to God.

btw, I also have an engineering degree from Ga Tech, which makes me a hell uv a engineer.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #13
Shouldn't the combo make you a heavenly engineer? :D

Reply #14
Shouldn't the combo make you a heavenly engineer? :D

Like that! Ga Tech drives you to your knees. I worked on a church staff where three of us (pastors) were Industrial Engineers from Ga Tech.

• RexT
Reply #15

I believe Romans 1 and I also believe 1 Cor. 6:11.
I believe my sin is an abomination to God.

btw, I also have an engineering degree from Ga Tech, which makes me a hell uv a engineer.
Wow, I'm impressed with you for both the amount of knowledge and achievement and in another way impressed with how someone so intelligent can at the same time accept a thing (god) without any evidence and yet reject your own self. That's pretty fucked up.

Reply #16
Actually, I reject my sin, not myself. I believe I am created in the image of God (as are my fellow humans).

And I do agree with Isaac Newton, "in the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God's existence"? (Ya took me back to Romans 1:20 ff.)

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #17

Reply #18

Everyone is wrong about something.
Imagine two people who are wrong about something.
One person is certain the other is not.
Which one do you think will go from being wrong to being right.

OTOH imagine two people are right about something.
Is the one that is not certain likely to go from being right to being wrong?
Probably not.

Reply #19
Actually, I reject my sin, not myself. I believe I am created in the image of God (as are my fellow humans).

And I do agree with Isaac Newton, "in the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God's existence"? (Ya took me back to Romans 1:20 ff.)
What about fetal testicles being where fish testicles are?
It causes a weak spot in the abdomen.

Reply #20
And welcome aboard.

Reply #21

Everyone is wrong about something.
Imagine two people who are wrong about something.
One person is certain the other is not.
Which one do you think will go from being wrong to being right.

OTOH imagine two people are right about something.
Is the one that is not certain likely to go from being right to being wrong?
Probably not.

Not sure I follow this. And I have not done research on fish or fetal testicles. But I do thank you for the welcome.

Reply #22

5. The physical resurrection and the personal bodily return of Christ to the earth.
Whatever floats your boat. I believe in sex drugs and rock and roll and I am positive I'm going to heaven.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• RexT
Reply #23
Well, for me you are interesting for your ability to reject yourself, your gayness in this case.  Sorry if I misread your earlier comment to say that you are gay.  But I accept as fact that one's sexuality is determined mostly by the genetics and is therefore not a choice, not a "sin".

Well, okay. I remember during my years as a tried-to-believer that such things only piqued my interest, but finally very far from convincing me. But I do appreciate your honesty towards expressing your beliefs. Myself possessing a good appreciation for engineering and architecture, I can relate to you a bit more.

Reply #24

Whatever floats your boat. I believe in sex drugs and rock and roll and I am positive I'm going to heaven.

I did catch a live Jethro Tull concert a few years back.