Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Smilies: attention O great and powerful Os. (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

Smilies: attention O great and powerful Os.
I can start work on adding some of these today, but should I install the tabbed smilies mod first?  I have this niggling itch in the back of my mind to the effect there was something that needed to be fixed in that code first.

Maybe it's that the "more" button will still be there along with the tabs?  If so, I think we can live with that for the time being.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Re: Smilies: attention O great and powerful Os.
Reply #1
Yeah I think that's all it was. That can be sorted by CSS. It may have to be done for all themes, depending on whether or not they have their own copy of a CSS file starting with "jquery.sceditor", but in this case it's a better option than frigging around with the markup in the javascript file. Easier to track if you want to change it later.

So you could just add this to the end of any such files:

Code: [Select]
.sceditor-more {display: none;}

Easy to find later if it's at the end.

ETA: Come to think of it, if we'll be doing several minor tweaks it's probably best to set up a custom.css file for each theme. That way all the tweaks will be in one spot. Will go refresh my memory on this.
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 04:16:32 AM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #2
Ok, memory refreshed. :D This was something they added to Elk after I went on a long holiday. It's quite clever. You can create a custom.css file for any variant of any theme. This gets loaded after all the other CSS files, so anything in custom.css will override earlier declarations. IOW, it's perfect for small tweaks that you want to keep track of easily.

So you create the bugger inside themes/theme_name_whatever/css/variant_name_something_else and give it the same sort of naming as the variant CSS file.

Example would be: themes/elk_theme_storm_cloud/css/_grey/index_grey.css being the basic file for that theme.

So you'd use themes/elk_theme_storm_cloud/css/_grey/custom_grey.css for the custom CSS overrides.

This is a bit of a nuisance if you have to create files for a whole lot of variants for a whole lot of themes, but it works well once set up. It's safe to edit the custom.css directly in admin, since it's only presentation, but I'd usually test things on local anyway just because I don't like surprises online. :)
Truth is out of style

Reply #3
it is super critical to include :teague: and :reign:

:happyyes:
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Reply #4
:unsure:

Reply #5
:fuckoff:
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Reply #6
I've installed the tabbed smiley mod and made the css changes via a custom css file.

The tabs are set to 16 smileys across,  The "More" smiliesin the admin panel used to be accessed via the "More" button.  Now they're in Tab 1.  Admins can change the smiley order by dragging and dropping the smilies in the "Set Smiley Order" tab under Boards and Forums.

16 large smileys will look like crap in a tab on phones, etc, but it is what it is.  I think they should go in last.

I'm going to start by uploading the TR smiley set to the right directory on this server.  Then we can just add them.

It would really help to know what the original smiley :codes: were.  When the demons from the outer void aren't working on the database I'll get in and download that information.

Reply #7
Can we get the whyyou smiley?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Giddyup America!

Reply #8
I don't recall, was this one ever official ?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #9
Dunno, but we defo should have it. :D
Truth is out of style

• Doobie Keebler
  • Needs a Life
  • Giddyup America!

Reply #10
It's a classic. One of RAFH's favs IIRC.

Saw this one whilst digging that one up. Not a request, just found it relevant for a giggle.

Reply #11
I didn't see that one when I went scavenging for TR smilies, so I don't think it was official.  I'll add it after I get the pile of smilies organized.

There are a ton of smilies in the TR smilie directory that I don't think we ever actually had set up to be used.  I have no idea where they came from.  Maybe alethias added a smilie set but only set up a handful of them.

There are 500 images in that directory.  :unsure:

Reply #12
Not done, but taking a break.  :teague: :reign: and :whyyou: are out there.

I'm having trouble making new tabs, which is making it difficult to organize what's out there already.

This is how I'd like to order them

Base - the small old favorites
Tab 1 - slightly larger old favorites
Tab 2 - vanity smilies
Tab 3 - HUGE smilies
Tab 4 - holiday/special occasion

slightly larger and vanity smilies may need to be broken up into multiple tabs because of the quantities.  Same for the small old favorites.

Reply #13
yesssssssssssss :reign:

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #14
I'm having trouble making new tabs, which is making it difficult to organize what's out there already.
I took a look at the files for that mod, and it looks like it just automatically makes a new tab whenever the number of smileys ticks over whatever the limit per tab is. So no ability to actually make tabs and assign things to them, which is a bit of a bugger. Methinks we need to annoy Ema enough that he makes a better version to shut us up. ;)

ETA: Might also be good to change the presentation so that the smiley box scrolls rather than expanding to full height.
  • Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 07:29:36 PM by osmanthus
Truth is out of style

Reply #15
oh hey, know what's missing?

:nada:

Reply #16
it's not needed.  you can emptyquote in elkarte.

Reply #17
:mason:

• Pingu
  • Needs a Life

Reply #18

Reply #19

Reply #20
how lazy is that

Reply #21
I don't recall, was this one ever official ?

That one was :davehawkins:

Reply #22

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism

Reply #23
it looks like you can't make a completely empty post, though

Reply #24
it looks like you can't make a completely empty post, though

:staregonk:

Reply #25
What does it meannnn? :ohdear:

Reply #26
it means you may not be the largest post count title holder :shrug:

Reply #27
Okay!  So I have organized the smilies into a ton of tabs.

Base is what I think are our most often used smaller smilies.  On my devices (except phone) this is two rows of smilies.

If this is too many for the base group, then I'll need some input on which ones should be moved into another tab.

If you move out of the base tab into one of the other tabs, don't bitch at me about how huge the list is.  It's a compromise between the add-on and our huge and silly list of smilies large and small.

Tab 1 is a ton of our traditional smiles.  I'll consider splitting it into two tabs...reluctantly.

Tab 2 is chronologically the first major list of medium-sized smilies that were added in 2009, I think.  They were lovingly created/chosen years ago by someone who had specific members in mind for each one of them.  Neither the creator nor I have never divulged which smilies were inspired by which members and the secrets are going with us to our graves.  There are also some other smilies of roughly the same size and temperament that I threw in just to confound the folks who may try to match smilies to members.  Some of the members have moved on to tamer pastures and will be difficult to guess because they are relatively unknown. Have fun!

Tab 3 is our large-ish vanity smilies and "_____ say" smilies.

Tab 4 is our huge baby face smilies.  One of them is actually a TR baby.  In real life he/she is in elementary school!

Tab 5 is our wild kingdom

Tab 6 is our holiday/birthday smilies

Tab 7 is a collection of our large emotes

Tab 8 is a huge smilie that is kind of an emote and kind of a vanity and it's just too damn big.  If we add any other too damn big smilies in the future they'll go into this tab.

There *may* be a way to give these tabs meaningful names someday, but not at the moment.

/battens hatches and awaits the storm.

Reply #28
can you rename the tabs?

edit I mean, is it possible. I don't have any ideas, just wondering.

Reply #29
There's a discussion going on with the guy who developed this add-on about if it's possible to rename tabs, and if so how.  I'm following the discussion very closely!

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #30
I can only see 3 tabs: Base, 1 & 2.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #31
There's a discussion going on with the guy who developed this add-on about if it's possible to rename tabs, and if so how.  I'm following the discussion very closely!
Would be possible. Even if Ema doesn't want to do it. I could do it just with CSS tweaks.
Truth is out of style

Reply #32
Try refreshing.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #33
Ok, got them now.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #34
Hey this works for renaming tabs: http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1749.30

Since it's a CSS dodge it would have to be applied to the custom.css in all themes.

ETA: Well ok, there's one minor PHP edit to the add-on's language string too.
Truth is out of style

• Pandora
  • Resurrected Robot

Reply #35
We're a weird bunch of weirdos.
Just because you're unique doesn't mean you're useful.