Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• It would have been absurdity whichever direction I ventured.

Topic: They've found Franklin's Terror in a Nunavut bay. (Read 777 times) previous topic - next topic

• borealis
  • Administrator
They've found Franklin's Terror in a Nunavut bay.
A video shared with CBC News and produced by the Arctic Research Foundation appears to show images of the submerged HMS Terror, one of Sir John Franklin's two ships lost in the doomed 1845 Franklin Expedition, in a Nunavut bay.
On Monday morning, British newspaper the Guardian reported that the ship, which was abandoned in sea ice in 1848 during a failed attempt to sail through the Northwest Passage, was found "in pristine condition" in Nunavut's Terror Bay, north of where the wreck of HMS Erebus -- the expedition's flagship -- was found in 2014.
The crew of the Arctic Research Foundation's Martin Bergmann research vessel found the shipwreck, with all three masts standing and almost all hatches closed, on Sept. 3.
"Resting proud on 24 metres of water, we found HMS Terror -- 203 years old, it is perfectly preserved in the frigid waters of the Northwest Passage," Arctic Research Foundation spokesman Adrian Schimnowski says in the video.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/hms-terror-found-1.3758400

• MikeS
Re: They've found Franklin's Terror in a Nunavut bay.
Reply #1
With the ship in such good condition, wonder if it's worth it for a full vessel salvage.
Float the thing up or dispatch a floating drydock to recover it.
24m of water is pretty shallow and you could get a fully preserved 200 year old ship with all the trimmings.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #2
I'm not sure their definition of 'pristine' means that would be doable, though older wrecks have been raised. Looking at the video, there's at the very least a vast quantity of sea life attached to the vessel. I could see it disintegrating under its own weight if brought to the surface.

But I know very little about that kind of work, and there's the amazing fact that the masts are still upright, so maybe. Would be exciting if they could.

Reply #3
I went to the Vasa museum in stockholm where they raised a 400 year old ship. The big trick is replacing the seawater as the ship dried. I forget what they used, some sort of glycerine mixture I think. You have to keep spraying it every half hour for years or it will crack up as it dries.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #4
but you're right about floating it. Once you get the hatches above the water line, you pump out the water and float it to where you are going.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #5
It looked to me as if there might be a serious hole or two in the hull, though maybe just shadows. My uneducated guess is that after being trapped in ice for the winter it sustained sufficient damage to take on water and sink. Ice will stove in harder materials than wood.

• Pingu
Reply #6
I went to the Vasa museum in stockholm where they raised a 400 year old ship. The big trick is replacing the seawater as the ship dried. I forget what they used, some sort of glycerine mixture I think. You have to keep spraying it every half hour for years or it will crack up as it dries.

Yes, they did something like that with the Mary Rose.
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

Reply #7
The bay was called "Terror Bay".    In retrospect, seems like a pretty good place too look for the HMS Terror...
While you were getting your PhD in virology, I got my PhD in truth detection. :wave:  Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #8
Should have been the first place, wouldn't you think?

Reply #9

did you get to the Vasa museum when you were in Stockholm?

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #10

did you get to the Vasa museum when you were in Stockholm?
My dad did, it was a highlight of his trip

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #11
The bay was called "Terror Bay".    In retrospect, seems like a pretty good place too look for the HMS Terror...
Where is this exactly? I will try to get some photos when I am there next if it is close enough to one of the communities I will be visiting soon.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #12
It's remote. Google maps is unaware of its existence. Bing maps places Terror Bay at King William Island in Queen Maude Gulf, and just above the Nunuvut mainland:

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?encType=1&where1=Terror%20Bay%2c%20Nunavut&cp=68.8915710449219~-98.9563140869141&qpvt=google+map+terror+bay&FORM=MIRE

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #13
They've found Franklin's Terror in a Nunavut bay

kidding... kidding...
Actually I'm a huge fan of ER, but the thread title made me do it.   :(
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #14
It's remote. Google maps is unaware of its existence. Bing maps places Terror Bay at King William Island in Queen Maude Gulf, and just above the Nunuvut mainland:

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?encType=1&where1=Terror%20Bay%2c%20Nunavut&cp=68.8915710449219~-98.9563140869141&qpvt=google+map+terror+bay&FORM=MIRE
Yeah, that's not going to happen. The closest I'm likely to be is where I've already been, Taloyoak (Spence Bay). I'ts unlikely I'll get a ride out there.
"...without considering any evidence at all - that my views are more likely - on average - to be correct.  Because the mainstream is almost always wrong" - Dave Hawkins

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #15
So yesterday I went for a walk out to the Maude, which was raised last year just out from Cambridge Bay. Impressive construction.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #16

• MikeS
Reply #17
it's May and your port looks like that still??

Uggghhh.

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #18
It's not 'my' port. I'm up here for work. The weather is actually quite nice. -5 DegC and sunny for the most part. Although we did have a blizzard on Monday. Things are starting to warm up a bit though. The snow is starting to melt.

• Bilirubin
  • Ain't nothing ta fuck wit'
Reply #19
Maude sounds Norwegian. Where are you?
I mean I *could* look up "Cambridge Bay" and I see the Nunavut flag but that seems to be vital information that should be provided.

I have been up as far north as Ft. Conger on Ellesmere, visiting the Greely and Byrd camps

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #20
Cambridge Bay is in Nunavut in what they call the Kitikmeot region on the southern shore of Victoria Island. The Maud (sorry for the earlier spelling) was Amundsen's ship (named after Queen Maud of Norway) that he used to navigate the northwest passage. It was sold and refitted after the expedition for the Hudson's Bay company but they got it stuck in ice and it sank in 1930. Last summer a crazy Norwegian millionaire raised it back up and he's going to try to repatriate it this summer.
  • Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:38:28 AM by fredbear

• fredbear
  • Militantly Confused
Reply #21

• Brother Daniel
  • Global Moderator
  • predisposed to antagonism
Reply #22
I like the Inuktitut name for Cambridge Bay.  Iqaluktuuttiaq, "a good place with lots of fish".

Quite a different vibe from (for example) their name for Grise Fjord.  Aujuittuq, "place that never thaws".  You can just feel the despair.

I've never been to Nunavut myself.  Several people from my lab go there from time to time.

• borealis
  • Administrator
Reply #23
I sometimes listen to the news in Inuktitut just because it sounds so good, solid, rhythmic, and soothing.

• el jefe
  • asleep till 2020 or 2024
Reply #24
I sometimes listen to the news in Inuktitut just because it sounds so good, solid, rhythmic, and soothing.
ooohhhhh yeeaaahhhh