Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Great moments in Australian political fuckwittery. (Read 1415 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Great moments in Australian political fuckwittery.
Reply #150
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh dear. Have you ever heard of Denmark? It's part of Scandinavia.

You really don't know much about renewables and how they can fit into modern grids. You sound like you're stuck back in the 1970's.

I'd stow this sort of thing until a few pages have gone by and we've forgotten that you don't know what a transformer is.

Also

• Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:00:15 AM by Cephus0

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #151
Cephus, really, the plan the state government have just come up with is entirely concerned with reliability of supply. That's the whole point of it. It is safe to assume that it will be as well engineered as any other commercially available solution. And it has also been chosen with economics in mind, even though there is probably no way you will believe this.

No I do understand they believe that.  I don't suspect anything nefarious is going on at all and they are acting fully in good faith.  There are engineers who disagree with their approach though and it is indeed interesting to watch as the whole thing unfolds.  They are leading the pack here and some will not wish to gamble on them being correct.
No, they really aren't. Denmark is just one example of an area which is ahead of South Australia on this. And it works so well in Denmark that they're happy to go full steam ahead on renewables and push them as high as they can, as fast as they can.

The most fascinating thing about it is that they cannot ever even in principle admit to being wrong. I'm not saying they are wrong at this stage but
you are soooo hoping they are, and you will be thrilled if it all turns to shit. :rofl:

The fact that Australia is feeding gigatons of coal directly into the furnaces of Asia is entirely irrelevant
It will be soon. The seaborne thermal coal market is in terminal decline.

They say there's nothing new under the sun but I'm not sure there's ever been anything to parallel this case.
That's because you aren't aware of what's been going on around the world. 40 years ago, this stuff was revolutionary. That was 40 years ago. Things have changed, and are still changing rapidly. These days renewables make sense, even in economic terms.
Truth is out of style

Reply #152
Cephus, really, the plan the state government have just come up with is entirely concerned with reliability of supply. That's the whole point of it. It is safe to assume that it will be as well engineered as any other commercially available solution. And it has also been chosen with economics in mind, even though there is probably no way you will believe this.

No I do understand they believe that.  I don't suspect anything nefarious is going on at all and they are acting fully in good faith.  There are engineers who disagree with their approach though and it is indeed interesting to watch as the whole thing unfolds.  They are leading the pack here and some will not wish to gamble on them being correct.

The most fascinating thing about it is that they cannot ever even in principle admit to being wrong.  I'm not saying they are wrong at this stage but whether they believe in the engineering and economical cases or not, if it all goes tits up they are bound to say it was all a huge success anyway because of the planet-saving ideology.  The fact that Australia is feeding gigatons of coal directly into the furnaces of Asia is entirely irrelevant - the ideology says that little SA must be carbon free - and so free it will be at any cost.  They say there's nothing new under the sun but I'm not sure there's ever been anything to parallel this case.

Out of curiosity, what would your solution be?
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #153
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh dear. Have you ever heard of Denmark? It's part of Scandinavia.

You really don't know much about renewables and how they can fit into modern grids. You sound like you're stuck back in the 1970's.
I'd stow this sort of thing until a few pages have gone by and we've forgotten that you don't know what a transformer is.
Nah. Fuck it. I'll go with it right now.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #154

The most fascinating thing about it is that they cannot ever even in principle admit to being wrong.  I'm not saying they are wrong at this stage but whether they believe in the engineering and economical cases or not, if it all goes tits up they are bound to say it was all a huge success anyway because of the planet-saving ideology.  The fact that Australia is feeding gigatons of coal directly into the furnaces of Asia is entirely irrelevant - the ideology says that little SA must be carbon free - and so free it will be at any cost.  They say there's nothing new under the sun but I'm not sure there's ever been anything to parallel this case.
Out of curiosity, what would your solution be?
Let me guess: coal-fired baseload?
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #155
Cephus, about power costs in Denmark: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_in_Denmark

Denmark has mediocre electricity costs (including costs for cleaner energy) in EU, but general taxes increase the price to the highest in Europe.
In other words Denmark, in common with other Scandi countries has overall high levels of taxation and these high levels are, at least in Denmark's case, applied to power too. This, not the cost of generation, is the main cause of the high power prices.

In 2015, supply security was over 99.99%, among the highest in the world.
Because, y'know, this crash test dummy stuff is so unreliable.
Truth is out of style

Reply #156
I was going to ask him if he was going to do the rest of the work his graph required, or whether he considered it "evidence" on its own.
"That which can be asserted with evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." (Dave Hawkins)

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #157
Oh he already knows renewables are bad because climate science fraud n stuff.
Truth is out of style

Reply #158
Hmmm, Finland 38% renewables in 2014, much cheaper than Italy, at 17%, Spain at 20% and Ireland at 16%, and even Denmark at 30% (in 2014).

Excellent, so from your chart, we can conclude renewables are cheaper.

Perhaps put in a bit more work next time.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #159
The funniest thing here is that Cephus has no real need to oppose renewables. As someone who denies climate science he should not be giving a shit how power is generated, as long as it is done reliably and at reasonable cost to the consumer. He even claims to be keen on solutions to environmental problems in general, which means he is presumably in favour of things like scrubbers on coal plants.

The only reason he is so keen to bash renewables is that they reduce CO2 emissions, and that means they must be in league with the bad guys.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #160
Oh by the way, about the seaborne thermal coal market. Here's a prediction made in late 2015. This was about the peak on the graph.

In early 2016 they got some updated year on year figures: 34% Drop in Indian Coal Imports Snuffing Out Thermal Coal Export Market

Then in early 2017 they got more updated year on year figures: India's Coal Imports Down 21.7% in January

What's the relevance of this? Simple. It's related to a great example of Australian political fuckwittery. The Adani mine is dead even before it starts off, for the simple reason that India no longer wants the coal from it anyway. Even if it was built, it has no market to serve.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #161
Here we go. The Australian right wing wants to to copy US Republican voter suppression tactics. ::)

Because they're champions of democracy, of course.

Labor says NSW voter ID plan is 'undemocratic' and unnecessary

The recommendation was made by NSW's joint standing committee on electoral matters, despite evidence from the NSW Electoral Commission that voter fraud was not taking place on any significant scale.

The then NSW electoral commissioner, Colin Barry, told the committee that the laws were likely to bring "no gain but substantial downsides".

"My concern would be that making voting more inconvenient to electors will act to reduce participation, particularly amongst older electors and those who may have a tenuous engagement with the democratic process," Barry said.

The ABC's election analyst, Antony Green, also gave evidence to the committee in a personal capacity, cautioning against implementing a voter identification requirement.

"I worry about voter ID laws, partly because I think that it is a solution looking for a problem," Green said.
Truth is out of style

Reply #162
Here we go. The Australian right wing wants to to copy US Republican voter suppression tactics. ::)

Because they're champions of democracy, of course.

Labor says NSW voter ID plan is 'undemocratic' and unnecessary

The recommendation was made by NSW's joint standing committee on electoral matters, despite evidence from the NSW Electoral Commission that voter fraud was not taking place on any significant scale.

The then NSW electoral commissioner, Colin Barry, told the committee that the laws were likely to bring "no gain but substantial downsides".

"My concern would be that making voting more inconvenient to electors will act to reduce participation, particularly amongst older electors and those who may have a tenuous engagement with the democratic process," Barry said.

The ABC's election analyst, Antony Green, also gave evidence to the committee in a personal capacity, cautioning against implementing a voter identification requirement.

"I worry about voter ID laws, partly because I think that it is a solution looking for a problem," Green said.

Idiots. That's not going to be very effective in a country with compulsory voting. I suspect it's going to go down as another coalition brainfart.

• Fenrir
  • Needs a Life

Reply #163
They've had hardon for this a long time. Easiest way they can see to disenfranchise first time voters and students (transient house sharing not good for keeping details up to date). Groups which historically don't vote con.
It's what plants crave.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #164
Yup. It's an obvious we-wanna-be-Repubs-when-we-grow-up stunt.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #165
Oh and I'm getting really bored with this 18C crap. The nutjobs just aren't willing to shut the fuck up about it. Beats me why they think it'll help them in an election.
Truth is out of style

Reply #166
I expect it's more about avoiding an early knifing. I kinda thought the LNP had sorted out their fascist/conservative problem a bit with the defection of Bernardi.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #167
Nah. There are still heaps of the buggers in the Libs and Nats. Bernardi was just one of the loopiest.

And yes I know Truffles is desperate to dodge the knife, but this crap is going to drag on to the next election (because the senate won't pass it and the nutters won't give up) and I can't see it helping their chances. All it really does is make them look like complete twats.
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #168
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #169
Newsflash!
Laws of physics broken!
Barnaby Joyce says something sensible! :stopper:

Barnaby Joyce has broken with cabinet solidarity to blast the Liberal Party for catering to its fringe "extremities" and proposing to water down Australia's race hate laws.

The Deputy Prime Minister and Nationals leader was part of Monday's cabinet decision to pursue the change, but said the issue was irrelevant to ordinary voters.

<snip>

"This is an issue, it is an issue but I'll be frank, it lives in the extremities of the bell curve. Where do you meet those people [who care about 18C]? At party meetings, they are absolutely blessed people and they are terribly politically involved and they have an intense interest in some of the minutiae of debate. They come into your office to rant and rave about it, all four of them."
Truth is out of style

Reply #170

but you're the dipshit who said "transformers don't work with DC"

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #171
Yay! Things are back to normal! Barnaby is being a complete idiot again. :cheer:

The short version is that Leadbeater's Possum is critically endangered, so some parts of its habitat have been set aside and cannot be logged. There is one local sawmill that employs 250 people, and the owners say it can't survive on the amount of logs available.

Barnaby's solution? No worries mate. All we have to do is take the fucking possums off the endangered list, then we can cut down heaps of trees.

Genius. :parrot:
Truth is out of style

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #172
Conservative Liberals watching Trump's lead on climate, key backbencher says

Kelly, who chairs the government's backbench committee on climate and energy, has been campaigning internally for months, arguing that the federal renewable energy target should be frozen at its current level.

The Sydney Liberal backbencher said regardless of what the US ultimately did, he had concerns about what the Paris deal could achieve.

Kelly said even if you accepted that fiddling with "the CO2 knob" could influence climate change, he had doubts that countries could meet their Paris commitments "without a technological breakthrough".
So the chairman of the backbench committee on climate and energy is a science denier. Awesome fuckwittery right there.

However, I do rather like the term "CO2 knob". I think that henceforth I shall refer to deniers as "CO2 knobs". :parrot:
Truth is out of style

Reply #173

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #174
Meh. That one is trivial. One Neuron voters are fuckwits anyway, so won't take any notice.

This is far more concerning, IMO: CSIRO: Leaked emails reveal claims organisation 'missing in action' on climate advice

Critics say these tensions between CSIRO management and scientists are a symptom of ongoing self-censorship by an organisation fearful of offending government and losing funding.
Truth is out of style