Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Progressive Aussie pastor supports: gay marriage, refugees, climate change (Read 379 times) previous topic - next topic

Progressive Aussie pastor supports: gay marriage, refugees, climate change
The coolest Australian Christian pastor on social media: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/good-news/a-bloody-man-should-do-the-right-thing-and-go-to-church/news-story/1f02dea749c651482891a2adb500c8ca

He uses his church sign & social media channels to be: pro refugees, pro marriage equality, and pro policy action on climate change. I've been following him for a few years, initially I thought it was a gimmick, but dude seems committed.

If cult of personality was reason enough for me to reconvert, I'd go to his church.
  • Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:47:07 AM by Wingeh

Re: Progressive Aussie pastor supports: gay marriage, refugees, climate change
Reply #1
You don't need to believe the shit to go to church do you?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #2
Of course not. You can go to church even if you think refugees, marriage equality, and policy action on climate change are the work of the Devil.
Truth is out of style

Reply #3
Good point.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #4
Of course not. You can go to church even if you think refugees, marriage equality, and policy action on climate change are the work of the Devil.

God created the earth. God created the seasons. God created Adam and Eve. God created war and smoting people.

S'why I reckon Father Bower is a god damned champion. ;)
  • Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:05:34 PM by Wingeh

Reply #5
The largest protestant denomination in Canada (UCOC) supports all of the title issues, includes gay clergy, performs ss marriages, and has done so for more than a decade. Also pro-choice. The second largest Protestant denomination (ACOC) isn't quite as socially left, but has things like an officially recognised name change ceremony for trans members. I was present for one such ceremony last year. It was quite moving, half the congregation teared up.

Christianity does not need to be shitty. As an agnostic who plays music for four tiny local churches almost every Sunday (they take turns having services), I'm pretty okay with local Christianity. It's cute that all of the priests and ministers I've dealt with have bent over backwards to make sure I don't feel uncomfortable or conspicuous about not participating in the Eucharist.

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Reply #6
Just don't tell them you're allergic to the blood of Christ.   :ohmy:

Reply #7
Well it does burn. :ohdear:

Lol! Biggest problem with the Blood of Christ in these tiny rural churches is that it can take literally more than a year to use up a bottle of wine. So it sits in a building that is only heated on one sunday in four in winter, is unventilated in summer, and was cheap shitty wine to begin with. A couple of years ago one of the Wardens stood up mid service to say the wine tasted so awful it wasn't fit to drink and was possibly making people sick.

Reply #8

Lol! Biggest problem with the Blood of Christ in these tiny rural churches is that it can take literally more than a year to use up a bottle of wine. So it sits in a building that is only heated on one sunday in four in winter, is unventilated in summer, and was cheap shitty wine to begin with. A couple of years ago one of the Wardens stood up mid service to say the wine tasted so awful it wasn't fit to drink and was possibly making people sick.

LMAO

It is a health issue, because wine is fermented - so like anything fermented, only has a limited shelf life once opened. Maybe the Fathers could invest in those little 187ml bottles. I buy them when I couch-surf Interstate and want to have a glass of wine, but not like 5 (or a wasted bottle).

My church was so straight edge, we were only allowed to have grape flavoured cordial (Ribena).

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #9
Jesus made his own plonk, so Ribena is against God.
Truth is out of style

Reply #10

LMAO

It is a health issue, because wine is fermented - so like anything fermented, only has a limited shelf life once opened. Maybe the Fathers could invest in those little 187ml bottles. I buy them when I couch-surf Interstate and want to have a glass of wine, but not like 5 (or a wasted bottle).

My church was so straight edge, we were only allowed to have grape flavoured cordial (Ribena).
UCOC uses Welch's grape juice. :D

However, ACOC, are the ones I play music for every Sunday, having been conned into it eight years ago by my adorable elderly neighbour, and they use wine. However, the priest (or minister - they have lady clergy but can't seem to force themselves to say 'priestess' and 'mother', so women clergy make do with 'reverend', which is appropriate for men also) doesn't buy the wine, it's usually one of the church ladies. I've recommended the switch to port or sherry - still wine, longer shelf life.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #11
^ There's so much funny in all that. :grin:
Truth is out of style

Reply #12
I know. That, and the fact that they are all genuinely nice people, is what keeps me doing it. Also, makes me practice regularly - there's a group now, we also do the occasional benefit, local concert, and funerals. :gonk:

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #13
UCOC uses Welch's grape juice. :D

The churches I grew up in all used grape juice, I think.  I believe that's fairly common among the protestant churches in the US.  Catholics use wine.

At least that's my understanding.

Reply #14
The coolest Australian Christian pastor on social media: http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/good-news/a-bloody-man-should-do-the-right-thing-and-go-to-church/news-story/1f02dea749c651482891a2adb500c8ca

He uses his church sign & social media channels to be: pro refugees, pro marriage equality, and pro policy action on climate change. I've been following him for a few years, initially I thought it was a gimmick, but dude seems committed.

If cult of personality was reason enough for me to reconvert, I'd go to his church.

Nice that a preacher can be as progressive as this one sounds to be.

I agree with him on all but the refugee issue as that seems more like a plague in Europe at the moment because Muslims do not seem to want to assimilate or integrate at all.

Have you heard of this preacher who is also wanting to raise our consciousness?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRtJPSmI9pY

Regards
DL

Reply #15
shut the fuck up