Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: 'Lurking malice' in cloud hosting services, study finds (Read 160 times) previous topic - next topic

'Lurking malice' in cloud hosting services, study finds
A study of 20 major cloud hosting services has found that as many as 10 percent of the repositories hosted by them had been compromised -- with several hundred of the "buckets" actively providing malware. Such bad content could be challenging to find, however, because it can be rapidly assembled from stored components that individually may not appear to be malicious.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161018193559.htm

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Re: 'Lurking malice' in cloud hosting services, study finds
Reply #1
Never did trust them anyway. "The cloud" is just another name for cheap shared hosting. Nothing magical about it.
Truth is out of style

Reply #2
I have used aws quite a bit for their app support. It's a bit more than just cheap shared hosting. But I really dislike using it and very much prefer to avoid it as much as possible.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #3
I don't trust "Clouds" at all. Too many potential problems.
Are we there yet?

Reply #4
is iCloud safe?  :ohdear:

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #5
Is any Cloud safe?

It's the whole problem with the concept of "cloud". Your computer becomes intrinsically integrated into the whole of the cloud, so if it gets attacked, you get attacked. If it gets hacked, you get hacked.

And being a really big target, clouds are much more likely to be attacked.  And, ignoring intentional attacks, something really big may statistically have a lower probability of failure, but when it does, it fucks a lot more people. Like me, I work on AutoCAD 2010, I have a perpetual license for it. There's nothing short of going out of business that AutoDesk can do to get rid of me., ever. But now they have transitioned to cloud based rental for all new versions coming out. There is no other option. So, if their systems go down, anyone depending on them goes down. Yes, you'll still have the software, but without the ability to authorize it's use, via the cloud, you don't get to play. And, of course, there's the financial end of things, you don't continue to pay, you don't play, even though you paid. Doesn't matter if you want the upgrades or not. You get them, period. And if they have problems (bugs not features), well you get those as well. Fuck you very much.

It's a sweet deal for the provider, automatic dependence. Sort of like a drug dealer. Until the drug is bogus and the users decide to eat you for dinner. And then find a different dealer.
Are we there yet?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #6
Yup. Windows is heading in that direction too. As soon as they try to enforce it, I'm moving to Linux.
Truth is out of style

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #7
Yup. Windows is heading in that direction too. As soon as they try to enforce it, I'm moving to Linux.
I'm kinda fucked, I've used AutoCAD since 1979. My only choices are to stay with 2010 or transition to a different program. I'm too old and don't really have the business to learn a new program. Fuck me,
Ach

Eveventually, like you say, Windows will go to the Cloud,. And I'll be forced to go to something else. Or just quit.

I'd love to think this will all come back on the software providers but they are too controlled by MBAs now to see anything other than potential return on investment. Actual return, customer satisfaction, future income all are meaningless. What counts is "now" as that's what their bonuses are based upon. It's like the energy crisis in California. PG&E was the largest and most successful private utility in the world. It had the largest power production array, the largest distribution array and the largest user base. A change in the laws allowed the managers to sell off the power development and distribution. Making them huge bonuses for increasing the bottom line.  But putting the company at the mercy of the cut-throat investors that bought the facilities, often including the same PG&E managers that sold the stuff in the first place.

Then the new owners put the screws to PG&E and the public it served. Essentially an artificial energy crisis. There was no crisis, just an invented issue invented to make huge profits. And no one went to jail or paid a fine for doing so.

And now the facilities are being left to rot, due to inadequate maintenance. The "energy crisis" will come back around.  Just this time it won't be an easy or cheap fix, as it will require huge amounts of money to make up for the missed maintenance. Much of the infrastructure will be done for. No fix available. Just tear it down and start from scratch. It's going to hurt really bad. Lotsa victims and few if any culprits. They'll all be on to the next target and pretty much immune.

There is so much infrastructure in the US being ignored, for either political or financial reasons. And it's going to come to a crisis. Whereas the rest of the world, China notably, are investing massive amounts in both infrastructure and research, the US is not. Just living on it's past glory. What happens when the InterState system fails due to bridges down, or landslips or whatever? Or when the railroads shut down for the same reasons., What happens when the money runs out? When the US can no longer pay the bills? Who is going to buy all that crap? Nobody else can afford it nor really wants it. So, China and India and SE Asia go down with us. And so does Latin America. And that takes down Europe and Africa, after a brief surge.

We're basically fucked. By ourselves. By a very small minority focused on their own immediate gain. A minority we seem to worship.

Are we there yet?

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets

Reply #8
You can always just use Windows for apps that require it, and use whatever you like for general browsing or whatever else.

Or stick with 2010 if that works, and even run it in a virtual box on a Linux host.
Truth is out of style

Reply #9
Is any Cloud safe?

It's the whole problem with the concept of "cloud". Your computer becomes intrinsically integrated into the whole of the cloud, so if it gets attacked, you get attacked. If it gets hacked, you get hacked.

And being a really big target, clouds are much more likely to be attacked.  And, ignoring intentional attacks, something really big may statistically have a lower probability of failure, but when it does, it fucks a lot more people. Like me, I work on AutoCAD 2010, I have a perpetual license for it. There's nothing short of going out of business that AutoDesk can do to get rid of me., ever. But now they have transitioned to cloud based rental for all new versions coming out. There is no other option. So, if their systems go down, anyone depending on them goes down. Yes, you'll still have the software, but without the ability to authorize it's use, via the cloud, you don't get to play. And, of course, there's the financial end of things, you don't continue to pay, you don't play, even though you paid. Doesn't matter if you want the upgrades or not. You get them, period. And if they have problems (bugs not features), well you get those as well. Fuck you very much.

It's a sweet deal for the provider, automatic dependence. Sort of like a drug dealer. Until the drug is bogus and the users decide to eat you for dinner. And then find a different dealer.

I back up my computer on a separate hard drive.  Safety assessment?  I would be devastated to lose all the photos of my kids..

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #10
Is any Cloud safe?

I back up my computer on a separate hard drive.  Safety assessment?  I would be devastated to lose all the photos of my kids..
Same here. My GF takes like a GB a week in photos. I download those to my laptop on a monthly basis and make a DVD of what I downloaded. I'm getting another 64GB thunb drive for her. And I'm going to get and install another 1 or 2 TB hard drive on my laptop, it's got two slots for such. May get another 500GB SSD as well. Two slots for those as well.

I just see cloud computing as a disaster waiting to happen. Too big of a target with too much to gain from hacking it. Sort of like having all your money in one mattress.
Are we there yet?