Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talkrational: As seen on Pharyngula

Topic: Trumpocalypse (Read 81206 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpocalypse
Reply #25
I feel like I should feel bad that I don't usually worry about issuing trigger warnings.
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

Reply #26
Don't forget that Sessions was also opposed to the Violence Against Women Act!

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #27
teeth, Trump tweeted about it and basically literally said that:

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #28
Also the Hamilton shit is a great distraction from all the other garbage which is probably why he's tweeting about something so fucking stupid.

Also: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/2016/11/18/9da9c572-ad18-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html

About 100 foreign diplomats, from Brazil to Turkey, gathered at the Trump International Hotel this week to sip Trump-branded champagne, dine on sliders and hear a sales pitch about the U.S. president-elect's newest hotel.

The event for the diplomatic community, held one week after the election, was in the Lincoln Library, a junior ballroom with 16-foot ceilings and velvet drapes that is also available for rent.

Some attendees won raffle prizes -- among them overnight stays at other Trump properties around the world -- allowing them to become better acquainted with the business holdings of the new commander in chief.

"The place was packed," said Lynn Van Fleit, founder of the nonprofit Diplomacy Matters Institute, which organizes programs for foreign diplomats and government officials. She said much of the discussion among Washington-based diplomats is over "how are we going to build ties with the new administration."

Back when many expected Trump to lose the election, speculation was rife that business would suffer at the hotels, condos and golf courses that bear his name. Now, those venues offer the prospect of something else: a chance to curry favor or access with the next president.

Man, my parents are going to feel right at home living in a fucking banana republic again. :cheer:

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #29
Also: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/2016/11/18/9da9c572-ad18-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html

About 100 foreign diplomats, from Brazil to Turkey, gathered at the Trump International Hotel this week to sip Trump-branded champagne, dine on sliders and hear a sales pitch about the U.S. president-elect's newest hotel.

The event for the diplomatic community, held one week after the election, was in the Lincoln Library, a junior ballroom with 16-foot ceilings and velvet drapes that is also available for rent.

Some attendees won raffle prizes -- among them overnight stays at other Trump properties around the world -- allowing them to become better acquainted with the business holdings of the new commander in chief.

"The place was packed," said Lynn Van Fleit, founder of the nonprofit Diplomacy Matters Institute, which organizes programs for foreign diplomats and government officials. She said much of the discussion among Washington-based diplomats is over "how are we going to build ties with the new administration."

Back when many expected Trump to lose the election, speculation was rife that business would suffer at the hotels, condos and golf courses that bear his name. Now, those venues offer the prospect of something else: a chance to curry favor or access with the next president.
unbefuckinglievable
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #30

• Pingu
Reply #31

How can people who say they are "constitutional originalists" not be in despair at Trump's inability to comprehend the meaning of the First Amendment?
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #32
For the same reason that they can be small government conservatives but think it's a great idea for the NSA to conduct mass surveillance of American citizens. People are full of shit and will rationalize just about anything.

Reply #33
Pingu, by constitutional originalists, they mean they want to go back to an era where only landowning white christian men can vote

• Pingu
Reply #34
Pingu, by constitutional originalists, they mean they want to go back to an era where only landowning white christian men can vote

oh right.

Reply #35

oh right.
This is a very important distinction. They aren't racist though. They think black lives matter. If you need exact numbers, about 3/5 as much as white lives.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #36
One of my inlaws posted this, with a "wow this guy's not fucking around!": http://freebeacon.com/national-security/the-best-from-mad-dog-mattis/

One of their friends commented that they love Trump's cabinet picks so far because they're smart and also scare the shit out of liberals.

This inlaw had previously kicked up a fuss about how Hillary is going to start WW3 and YOUR CHILDREN ARE GOING TO BE DRAFTED. Now linking to a list of quotes from a guy who says killing people in Afghanistan is real fun.

Golly, I better reach out and try to understand. My lack of empathy is the real problem here.

Reply #37
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/shifting-us-policy-to-right-trump-taps-sessions-flynn/2016/11/18/e63b0d1c-adec-11e6-8f19-21a1c65d2043_story.html

this cabinet process is making the hitler comparison way too uncomfortable for my moral compass.

Trump's initial decisions suggest a more aggressive military involvement in counterterror strategy and a greater emphasis on Islam's role in stoking extremism. Sessions, who is best known for his hardline immigration views, has questioned whether terrorist suspects should benefit from the rights available in U.S. courts. Pompeo has said Muslim leaders are "potentially complicit" in attacks if they do not denounce violence carried out in the name of Islam.
Funny, that's about how I feel about people who voted for Trump.

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #38
And his infrastructure plan is garbage and a handout to corporate assholes via massive tax cuts: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trumps-big-infrastructure-plan-its-a-trap/2016/11/18/5b1d109c-adae-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html?utm_term=.beed1c23c6cb
Of course it is. He's a corporate asshole who wants massive tax cuts.
Truth is out of style

Reply #39
Pompeo's nomination to lead the CIA also opens the prospect of the U.S. resuming torture of detainees. Trump has backed harsh interrogation techniques that President Barack Obama and Congress have banned, saying the U.S. "should go tougher than waterboarding," which simulates drowning. In 2014, Pompeo criticized Obama for "ending our interrogation program" and said intelligence officials "are not torturers, they are patriots."
forgot to include this gem from the wapo link I posted above

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #40
Trump is marketing his DC hotel aggressively to foreign diplomats.

http://gothamist.com/2016/11/19/foreign_diplomats_lining_up_to_stay.php

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-international-hotel-20161119-story.html

I wondered out loud about this on facebook a couple of days ago,  (I think it was facebook.  Might have been TR).  I wondered if political access would depend on what hotel lobbyists and diplomats booked in DC.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #41
Trump is marketing his DC hotel aggressively to foreign diplomats.

http://gothamist.com/2016/11/19/foreign_diplomats_lining_up_to_stay.php

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-trump-international-hotel-20161119-story.html

I wondered out loud about this on facebook a couple of days ago,  (I think it was facebook.  Might have been TR).  I wondered if political access would depend on what hotel lobbyists and diplomats booked in DC.

I already posted about this. :sadcheer:

To add more, these are older articles that didn't get much attention:
- Trump owes Deutsche Bank, which is being fined by the DOJ: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/30/trumps-unthinkable-conflict-millions-in-debts-to-german-bank-now-facing-federal-fines/
- Trump owes the Bank of China and Goldman: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-donald-trump-companies-at-least-650-million-in-debt/

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #42
Also SPLC reports 701 incidents of hateful harassment since the day after the election.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/18/update-incidents-hateful-harassment-election-day-now-number-701

High schools in my area have reported a number of incidents. :(

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #43
Sorry, meep.  I think I confused your post with some stuff I saw on facebook this morning.

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #44
I'm not sure how many people outside the NYC metropolitan area have heard, or care, about this...
President-Elect Donald Trump's Motorcade Shuts Down Lincoln Tunnel, Frustrating Drivers
... but it affected me, personally.

President-elect Donald Trump's motorcade shut down the Lincoln Tunnel in both directions at the outset of the evening rush Friday, backing up traffic for well over an hour as frustrated drivers vented over social media.
Trump left his residence at Trump Tower in midtown late Friday afternoon, then hit I-495 to his golf course in New Jersey for the weekend.

WTF?
What's the excuse for this ? ? ?

All I can think of is
(1) he is so oblivious to the inconvenience he imposed on hundreds of thousands of working people that it didn't occur to him to pick a less inconvenient time to fuck up the nation's busiest commuter bottleneck, or
(2) he is intentionally sticking it to working people in two states that didn't support him in the election.

I don't know which is worse.

I know this is small potatoes compared with appointing racists, fascists and war mongers to positions of power, or even attacking  first amendment rights wrt the Hamilton thing, but I think it's emblematic.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins

• Pingu
Reply #45
Yeah. It's just a vignette of his utter narcissism.

• meepmeep
  • Administrator
  • zombiecat queen
Reply #46
President-elect Donald Trump's motorcade shut down the Lincoln Tunnel in both directions at the outset of the evening rush Friday, backing up traffic for well over an hour as frustrated drivers vented over social media.
Trump left his residence at Trump Tower in midtown late Friday afternoon, then hit I-495 to his golf course in New Jersey for the weekend.

ahahahahahahaha;sdgj;lsakjglwkajgwapijn the Lincoln Tunnel is bad enough as it is. I'd have lost my goddamn mind.

Already golfing, too, eh, after all that criticism of Obama golfing. :golfclap:

• osmanthus
  • Administrator
  • Fingerer of piglets
Reply #47
One of the Gurnard's writers is saying Huckabee is presumably going to be ambassador to Israel. Which would be about as daft as all the other appointments they've made.  :p
Truth is out of style

Reply #48

i feel like i would be able to tolerate the reality in which i have been condemned to exist except that he just talks and writes like such a fucking child. "very rude to a very good man" jesus fucking christ

Reply #49

How can people who say they are "constitutional originalists" not be in despair at Trump's inability to comprehend the meaning of the First Amendment?
they don't care about the constitution except in as much as they can read into it a justification for cutting down on the federal government's ability to stop them from oppressing and exploiting people

eta: this basically