Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: Plex Media Server (Read 588 times) previous topic - next topic

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Plex Media Server
I'm in the process of transferring all my DVDs and CDs (and actually some old VHS tapes (mostly kids movies)) to my home network, and so far I'm liking Plex for a media server.  I can share to any device and even share with friends.  There are free apps for XBox 360/One PS 3/4, Android, iPhone, Roku, ApplieTV, AmazonFire TV, Chromecast, and more.

Has anyone else tried Plex, or do you have some other solution that you prefer?

• Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:56:36 AM by SkepticTank

Re: Plex Media Server
Reply #1
I've been considering doing something similar to this too, let me know how it goes!

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #2
It's time consuming to set everything up just right.  You can create different libraries to share with different users.  For instance, I can create a kids movies library and share only that one to my daughter's account, and create a separate movies library with R-rated content that I can share to me and my friends.

One of the nice features (with the paid version of Plex) is syncing to a mobile device for offline viewing.  I'm attempting that now, but without a lot of luck.  It indicates that it is synced to my phone (I did this when I was on my home wifi network), but playing it back, it still needs to connect to my server, so I'll probably eat a month's worth of data trying to watch one movie.

Of course one of the problems is getting past the copy protection on when ripping a DVD or Blu-Ray.  Plex does not help with that at all, you have to find other applications to do that part for you. MakeMKV is working pretty well on most discs, for me, but not some of the newest Blu-rays.

My current setup is using my home desktop PC as my server.  I have a 3 TB NAS drive (RAID 1) connected directly to my router.  I'm using my PS3 as the client for watching on the living room TV.  That seems to work great.  I've also shared my library with my friend in Tucson, so we can watch each other's movies as long as our servers are up and running.

Reply #3
I have used Plex for about 4-5 years now.  When I started using it, it was pretty shitty.  Now, it is mostly not shitty.  I don''t know anything that does what it does, but it does not work particularly well.  If you are watching a movie on your intranet, it will probably work fine.  If you want to watch something over the internet, you are probably going to have problems.  Any use that requires transcoding will probably not play smoothly.  You will need a pretty good pc for transcoding.  Remote playback will require steady internet with a decent upload speed (> 5 mbps).  Some plex apps have issues playing certain types of encodes.  The Samsung TV app is pretty finicky.  The Roku app seems to be the most robust.  

Reply #4
I just want to easily stream from my desktop upstairs to my Roku(s), I don't care about different permissions or anything since it's just me and my wife.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #5
Now, it is mostly not shitty.
High praise.

• SkepticTank
  • Global Moderator
  • Calmer than you are

Reply #6
I just want to easily stream from my desktop upstairs to my Roku(s), I don't care about different permissions or anything since it's just me and my wife.

I first tried doing that several years ago with Windows Media Server (using a PS3, no Roku).  That didn't work for several of my pirated videos so I paid a nominal fee for TVersity (I think) Media Server which worked much better.  Then I moved and got busy with other shit so didn't play around with any of that stuff for a while.  About a year ago my friend in Tucson was really trying to get me turned on to Plex, but I didn't do much anything with it until just recently.  I guess I'm in the honeymoon/geek stage of discovery of a newish hobby.  I finally built my little NAS drive a few months ago so I now have plenty of space, and I've been wanting to organize my pictures, music and video for years...

eta:  I think the free version of Plex will do what you want.  Just put the server on your PC and the client on your Roku, set up your library and go.

• Monad

Reply #7
I find PS3 media server much easier to setup

Reply #8
eta:  I think the free version of Plex will do what you want.  Just put the server on your PC and the client on your Roku, set up your library and go.

That's what I do.  Works fine.  But, most movies I watch are on Amazon Prime, included with the membership.

I have TWC now Spectrum and can upload at around 30M/sec.  I got the Android app, and streaming works OK, but just haven't found a use case for watching TV or movies on my phone, whatever the source.