Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• Talk Rational: SteveF posts sciencey things that no one reads before other sites copy him

Topic: Global warming is making for record cold  (Read 1466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Global warming is making for record cold
Reply #25
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/greek-islands-declare-state-of-emergency-after-heavy-snow-tgww532dp

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-greece-snow-idUSKBN14U28X?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

2 meters of snow in locations that have only seen a light dusting before.  And the global warmer thinks it confirms the planet is warmer than ever.  Because nothing will change the mind of a true believer. 

Certainly not worldwide record cold and snow.  They just change the story, and continue to blame it all on CO2 levels.

Because they don't actually think, or know the CO2 theory at all.
Wait, you've found one country that has had one big snow storm and you think that is some kill shot on the argument? The weather in one country in one year is not a global climate trend.

Let's run with it though and look at greece. Sure, in the past 2 weeks Greece set a bunch of local record cold day records. They did not set a bunch of record hot days in the past 2 weeks.

But if we zoom out on that even a little, it doesn't really help you. Let's take a look at 2016. I see 91 local record cold days set in greece in 2016, compared 145 local record hot days. So you lose there, but take heart, because an arbitrary count of local daily records in one country still doesn't mean much even if you are looking at a year rather than 2 weeks.

Let's look at average temperature anomaly for the region instead of just counting records.

I don't have a good source for December yet, but the 2016 Jan-Nov numbers for greece show it to be a much warmer than average year.

So that doesn't help.

Zooming out to global (which makes sense if we are talking about GLOBAL warming) shows 2016 as the hottest year on record, a long term trend of hotter years, no record cold year in over 100 years, and no recent colder than usual year at all.

Reply #26
Sweet Jesus we are fucking doomed.

Glad you agree with the consensus view.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #27
That explains 2 meters of snow in Greece, and record cold and snow all over the NH.  We left the freezer door open, and the house got cold.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #28
See kids, it's not that it's colder, the cold just moved around and where people actually live got cold, while where nobody lives, it's nice and warm. 

The problem with that, is it's not global warming. It's a change of climate conditions, but it's not CO2 caused.

It does however fit with climate fuckery from some human activities. Just not CO2

https://www.britannica.com/science/Asian-brown-cloud

That no doubt is causing problems, as well as the ozone loss, and contrails, and deforestation, and agriculture, and irrigation, and dams, and I could go on, but really, nobody gives a fuck.
  • Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 01:57:34 AM by F X
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #29
Then there is the unprecedented (in modern times) solar change.  The change in the sun is huge, and is getting bigger, 

But hell, if you think CO2 is causing older winters, then we are certainly doomed.
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #30
See kids, it's not that it's colder, the cold just moved around and where people actually live got cold, while where nobody lives, it's nice and warm. 

The problem with that, is it's not global warming. It's a change of climate conditions, but it's not CO2 caused.

It does however fit with climate fuckery from some human activities. Just not CO2

https://www.britannica.com/science/Asian-brown-cloud

That no doubt is causing problems, as well as the ozone loss, and contrails, and deforestation, and agriculture, and irrigation, and dams, and I could go on, but really, nobody gives a fuck.
see my last. There are a few regions that were colder than average in 2016, but they are over water. Are you suggesting most people live in the ocean?

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #31
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #32

Ok, northern hemisphere snow mass excluding mountains is slightly above normal range for the past 3 months. Again, a rather tightly constricted data point. It looks like a legitimate site, so let's see what other data points they provide:

Sea ice is down,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
glaciers are shrinking (and loss is accelerating)
Same for ice sheets
Hey! permafrost melt depth is at least holding steady!
And the kill shot

Reply #33
For another local variable, scientists in China have warned that dry areas will be drier and wet parts of the country will risk more floods.

So, imbalance is increasing.

Reply #34
 :staregonk:   OMG that's just terrible!  Scientists in China have warned us that some dry parts of China might get even drier and other wet parts of China might get even wetter!  Onoes the imbalance between wet and dry might be increasing - quick build more windmills.

• MikeB
Reply #35
Build more hydroelectric generation stations!

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #36
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #37
http://globalcryospherewatch.org/state_of_cryo/snow/
yes, that's the site we were just discussing. Please review my post #32.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #38
You forgot the link, so I added it.
― Mark Twain 🔭

Reply #39
You forgot the link, so I added it.
ok, thanks. I figured you knew the site since your graph was from it  now, post 32...

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #40
Are you going to post anything to respond to or not?
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Pingu

• MikeS

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #43
"The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot," according to a Commerce Department report published by the Washington Post.

Writes the Post: "Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers... all point to a radical change in climate conditions and... unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone... Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones... while at many points well-known glaciers have entirely disappeared."

Washington Post

Nov. 2, 1922

― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #44
"The climate of New-York and the contiguous Atlantic seaboard has long been a study of great interest. We have just experienced a remarkable instance of its peculiarity. The Hudson River, by a singular freak of temperature, has thrown off its icy mantle and opened its waters to navigation." -- New York Times, Jan. 2, 1870

"Is our climate changing? The succession of temperate summers and open winters through several years, culminating last winter in the almost total failure of the ice crop throughout the valley of the Hudson, makes the question pertinent. The older inhabitants tell us that the winters are not as cold now as when they were young, and we have all observed a marked diminution of the average cold even in this last decade." -- New York Times, June 23, 1890

"The question is again being discussed whether recent and long-continued observations do not point to the advent of a second glacial period, when the countries now basking in the fostering warmth of a tropical sun will ultimately give way to the perennial frost and snow of the polar regions." -- New York Times, Feb. 24, 1895

Professor Gregory of Yale University stated that "another world ice-epoch is due." He was the American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress and warned that North America would disappear as far south as the Great Lakes, and huge parts of Asia and Europe would be "wiped out." -- Chicago Tribune, Aug. 9, 1923

"The discoveries of changes in the sun's heat and southward advance of glaciers in recent years have given rise to the conjectures of the possible advent of a new ice age" -- Time Magazine, Sept. 10, 1923

Headline: "America in Longest Warm Spell Since 1776; Temperature Line Records a 25-year Rise" -- New York Times, March 27, 1933

"America is believed by Weather Bureau scientists to be on the verge of a change of climate, with a return to increasing rains and deeper snows and the colder winters of grandfather's day." -- Associated Press, Dec. 15, 1934

Warming Arctic Climate Melting Glaciers Faster, Raising Ocean Level, Scientist Says -- " 'A mysterious warming of the climate is slowly manifesting itself in the Arctic, engendering a 'serious international problem,' Dr. Hans Ahlmann, noted Swedish geophysicist, said today." -- New York Times, May 30, 1937

"Greenland's polar climate has moderated so consistently that communities of hunters have evolved into fishing villages. Sea mammals, vanishing from the west coast, have been replaced by codfish and other fish species in the area's southern waters." -- New York Times, Aug. 29, 1954

"An analysis of weather records from Little America shows a steady warming of climate over the last half century. The rise in average temperature at the Antarctic outpost has been about five degrees Fahrenheit." -- New York Times, May 31, 1958
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Pingu
Reply #45
I'm just curious, F X, I haven't been following your posts: is it your contention that mean global temperaters aren't rising?
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #46
I'm just curious, F X, I haven't been following your posts: is it your contention that mean global temperaters aren't rising?
What is the mean global temperater? 
― Mark Twain 🔭

• Pingu
Reply #47
What is the mean global temperater?

Well, there are a number of measures, but I'm talking about measures averaged over the both hemispheres, not a single hemisphere.

Is it your contention that any of these global measures are NOT rising?
I have a Darwin-debased mind.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #48
It's a complicated situation.  Some regions are warming, some are cooling, some are staying the same.  The ocean data and surface data and satellite data and ice and snow data does not show a greenhouse forced warming.  That much is certain.

Unless you change the theory, you can't say the 20 year trend is global warming from CO2 forcing.  It does not fit the theory.

Cohen and others may turn out to be right, but that would mean a different theory of greenhouse warming.  I think the ozone/CfCs theory, along with solar forcing, explains things better than the CO2 theory.  Hansen agrees with me.
― Mark Twain 🔭

• VoxRat
  • wtactualf
Reply #49
Cohen and others may turn out to be right, but that would mean a different theory of greenhouse warming.  I think the ozone/CfCs theory, along with solar forcing, explains things better than the CO2 theory.  Hansen agrees with me.
I doubt that. But, hey! No need to waste time disputing completely unsupported assertions.
"I understand Donald Trump better than many people because I really am a lot like him." - Dave Hawkins