Skip to main content

TR Memescape

Topic: The GrowlerWerks UKeg (Read 108 times) previous topic - next topic

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

The GrowlerWerks UKeg
OK, here's introducing the GrowlerWerks UKegs. We just got ours delivered to the front step. No notice, no warning, just showed up. After two years.

OK, the UKeg, it's a stainless steel double walled (supposedly) container with a CO2 fitting and a gauge and a tap for keeping beer. Comes standard as stainless or copper plated, 64 ounces or 128 ounces. It was introduced back in the Summer of 2014, I think. Least ways that's when we saw it. Looked really great and at the time we were really into growlers and various local beers. The fever has cooled some. In any case, it became a KickStarter Campaign and it appeared to have all the answers to all the questions, they just needed money to get it going. Well, that was more than a bit of an exaggeration. First of all, they indicated they would be producing this in the US, but ended up producing it in China, with the usual issues and delays. Second of all, they failed to note they were possibly subject to a patent infringement lawsuit. Which has been blamed for everything. Their customer service is virtually non-existent and that which exists is negative, their PR appears to be aimed at flailure and insult. .

As to the actual item, this is the 128 ounce (1 gal) UKeg. It was supposed to be copper plated with a polished finish. It's not, it's a satin finish. Presumably to hide the production flaws. Maybe not. Supposedly, from comments, it works pretty well but requires a lot of maintenance. I guess if one was really into local brews that weren't bottled it would be worthwhile, but then you'd need a bunch of them and that could easily end up costing a lot. Given the effort involved I'm not really excited. We got it originally because it was really cool. Now it doesn't seem quite so cool and after waiting 2 years and seeing retail product out on the shelves on sale, it's a bit of a burn to have backed this kickstarter. Both of us have totally sworn off KickStarter as a result of this experience.
Are we there yet?

• MikeS
  • Needs a Life

Re: The GrowlerWerks UKeg
Reply #1
Buyer Beware.
Buyer's remorse.
etc.

If they threw in the Nigerian Bank Account thing would that be worth it?

Reply #2

Reply #3
I've not signed up for any kickstarters, but the ones I've seen friends go for have been for board games, etc, so at least with those if the production ends up being delayed you at least might get a ruleset out of them which you can then playtest and tell them if it sucks. A mate of mine had an indiegogo, which I ended up not getting round to contributing to, but that was for an expansion to his bar, and I've already seen WIP shots of it.
Why do I bother?

• RAFH
  • Needs a Life
  • Have a life, already.

Reply #4
Yeah, some remorse. Mostly because it is a pretty cool idea and they fucked it up. And pissed off a lot of people as well.

Did we get screwed? Well, sort of. Ended up getting the "reward" but it's left us with a very negative attitude towards both GW and Kickstarter. Hopefully, given the number of complaints with the Oregon Secretary of State regarding the matter, plus complaints from other states and even countries, Kickstarter will start monitoring their proteges a bit more closely. Perhaps checking into what due dilligence they've actually taken. It's been noticed that those making such complaints are getting their rewards sooner than others. Basically the company is corrupt, not criminally so, just stupidly so. They fail to respond to legitimate inquiries, they refuse to divulge important information, they've changed their specs again and again and made so many promises that have fallen by the wayside, nobody trusts them. Terrible PR. I will be surprised if they are able to stay in business. Reportedly they have secured operating capital via the more usual methods, and those generally involve significant legal obligations that invoke significant legal sanctions and resolutions if not met. I doubt they have the business sense to heed those obligations. And so ownership will pass to others, presumably folks with more business sense and experience.
Are we there yet?