Skip to main content

TR Memescape

• TalkRational: Can we not be called a Republic of Freethought anymore. It's a bit embarassing.

Topic: Methbot (Read 187 times) previous topic - next topic

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Methbot
So, Russian hackers created about 500,000 browser simulacra that behaved like people and appeared to view 300,000 expensive video ads per day.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/20/cyber-firm-says-russian-methbot-scam-is-defrauding-digital-advertisers.html

The estimate is that they defrauded ad companies of $180 million.

I realize the scope of this fraud is huge and no doubt threatens the www ecosystem in incomprehensible ways.

My available fucks to give are on a par with how I'd feel about someone ripping off used car sales companies.

Re: Methbot
Reply #1
Facebook?
Love is like a magic penny
 if you hold it tight you won't have any
if you give it away you'll have so many
they'll be rolling all over the floor

• ravenscape
  • Administrator
  • Triggered
Reply #2
From what I got out of the two articles I read, not directly.  Methbot was programmed to look like users following links from facebook, which supposedly made the ad-clicks more valuable.

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #3
Many years ago some unknown group created bots/programs that could solve the Captcha problem, and used them to buy every last ticket online for concerts.  Then they resold the tickets, making a shit ton of money, and of course no human could actually get a ticket online.  (they bought them all in seconds)

It never made much news, but it did explain why all tickets were sold out no matter how fast you tried to get one.

Criminals have always made life hard (or ended it), but this shit is too much.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭

• F X
  • The one and only
Reply #4
No matter what you build, some asshole is trying to figure out a way to steal it.

My shit online is under a constant attack from the most heinous people you can imagine. And they use robots, so it's inhumane, and inhuman.
  • Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:30:15 AM by F X
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man."
― Mark Twain 🔭